Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

I think being 12th in a series or whatever detracts from your GOTY chances somewhat. It would be series of the decade or generation or something.

That’s a good point, too.

It was mine, for sure.

I don’t have one of those console things, so RDR2 might as well not exist for me. Nevertheless, given the theme, I find it hard to believe it would displace Odyssey for me as the “big”, triple-A game of 2018.

AC:O game of the year for me also.

RDR2…played the intro and about 2 more hours…have not played since.

Yes, obviously I was talking about my own perspective.

To me, RDR2 is a world I am completely immersed in. The attention to detail, atmosphere, writing, world design, everything is completely focused on making me think I am in another world. And so I was, and had the best gaming time since 2015.

Odyssey is not concerned with immersion at all. Fully arcade. Very little attention to detail. Yes it has smooth responsive controls. It also consists of neverending icon hunt, checklististing and infinitely repeated locations. Like there are what seems to be hundreds of caves in Odyssey. All of which have one of four layouts that repeat infinitely. And that’s the same with almost everything, quests included.

I am not denying it is fun. I am still playing it! Because Kassandra and I like Greece and from time to time, some quest surprises. And my OCD is wired for it. But it is a gaming equivalent of junkfood. I like it, but it is far from a fine steak of RDR2 or Witcher 3.

If the game had half the landmass it has, but with much more unique, handcrafted stuff in it, it would have been significantly better game.

I hate to admit it because I love ac ody… and I haven’t played RDR2… but I think Paul is right. I might disagree with “fully” arcade but … a “lot arcade” I could agree with. Other than that I have to agree --including landmass, junk food, smooth response, and surprises.

I felt this way about Odyssey’s world. The day night lighting is something else.

I do not dispute that Odyssey can look absolutely gorgeous. I have my own gallery:

Slight enemy spoiler picture

These views are large part of why I am enjoying the game ;). Plus Kassandra in wonder woman outfit is cool. But what I wrote still applies…Ubi still have ways to go before they match the CDPs and Rockstars. Eventhough Odyssey is my favourite AC game in years.

*high five *
When I say arcade, I mean stuff like being able to pay off bounty right in the menu, horse defying all laws of physics and nature, stealth and AI being dumb as rocks etc :)

Very pretty. One of them’s a spoiler…

I thought everyone knew you get to fight these things, but fine, blurred…

Ha - thanks :) I think discovering all that stuff was a lot of fun, so if we err on the side of caution everyone gets a chance to come fresh to it. I made a point of avoiding much info before going in myself.

Props to Ubisoft. They’re doing a great job, for the most part.

The main quest is really moronically structured in this. I just went to Atlantis with the four artifacts and in the middle of a game when I still have shit ton to do suddenly Kassandra comes into the present day in a tuxedo and talks to Layla?
Who the hell though this was a good idea to let this questline be finishable first?
Anyway, the moment they started talking I reloaded and will be leaving this questline for after the other stuff is done…

I’d agree with this. I finished this last week, and like so much junk food, I was kinda done with it way before it was over.

Kassandra is a cool character - and Melissanthi Mahut deserves a performance of the year award, because without it I might’ve tapped out before the end - but unfortunately she’s stuck in an Assassin’s Creed game, and as fun as individual quest beats might be, the overarching story is asinine.

All that said, I’d rather play this than RDR2. The combat is better and way more dynamic, the open world actually has some purpose besides set dressing, and the story missions never slam a mission failed screen in your face for daring to do something you weren’t scripted to do.

This is true. Par for the course for an Assassin’s Creed game, though. The whole assassin/templar plot usually gets in the way of the perfectly fine historical adventure/stealth stuff.

Haven’t 100%-ed a game in a while.

Wow, nicely done. Grats!

Do you just have to finish the main quest line or there are other things to 100% it?