Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

I didn’t do all the side quests (didn’t do almost any outside of main story ones) and only discovered 95% of the map but I did the following:

got 43/48 club challenges in uplay pc
visit all main greek cities
defeat all mythical creatures
became number 1 merc
got all 3 endings
got all 100% synch points

Finished it, all three main questlines. I would give it overall 8/10…it is mostly enjoyable, one of the best AC games thanks to Kassandra and inclusion of choices and consequences, but it still suffers from the usual trademark UBI bloatfiller and some horrible design choices and lack of attention to detail and immersion.

While I completely disagree about what I would rather play, I do agree about the lack of player agency in RDR2’s missions - that would be my number 1 criticism of that game. But the thing is, those missions were so well written and just fun to do even as prescribed, that I didn’t mind as much. In ACO I might have more freedom, but what I do is not nearly as interesting or well written and is in fact pretty damn repetitive.

Oh wow. I was here scratching my head how the hell were you able to get 100% in 93 hours, when I was at 80% and 100 hours.

And now I find yout you didn’t do almost any sidequests, that explains it. I did them all except two which were so insultinly fillery that I just didn’t have it in me.

Anyway, I just finished it - did all three main questlines, my questlog is empty - and I have 97% completion with 112 hours played.

Strange that those sidequests do not count towards completion.

WTF are mastery levels? I never even noticed or clicked on that symbol in the skill tree page.

Also:

-defeated all 10 arena chumps
-got 99% regions discovered, unfogged everything so I don’t know what POI i’m missing. discovered some unfogged areas contain undiscovered ? POI points that don’t appear unless I’m physically nearby

How are you all enjoying this compared to Origins? Im about 3/4 of the way through ORIGINS and I often find myself so lost in the story that I have to take a break out of frustration to try and figure out what the hell is going on.

I get the main arc’s for the most part but the plot details are so confusing. I was never once lost in the Witcher 3.

I probably preferred the main story to Origins’, which I remember as go kill these 5…7…5… people. There are a bunch of parallel ‘plots’ or things to aim at in Odyssey which I thought worked well too.

The story in Odyssey is so much better – which isn’t saying a whole lot, because Origins, as mentioned, just turns into a narrative soup of stuff.

Not that Odyssey is brilliant storytelling, but it works for the series, and as Alistair says, the parallel stuff is also interesting and fits in nicely.

Thanks to you both. At this point im contemplating just walking away from Origins. It is just SO repetitive and the storytelling is killing all my interest.

If i have to break one more person out of a cell in a fort for some poorly explained reason, im going to scream.

Some of the main quests have been quite good, but they are few and far between.

Amazing. Especially considering the content. Grats to you!

That’s one of the reasons I’m enjoying Origins so much. “Oh look, a new fort, let’s kill and release EVERYONE!” It’s like murderous chocolate for my brain. I’ve put more hours into it than I have most games.

So to hear Odyssey is even better!? Yay, can’t wait to finish Origins then. Hell, I might actually finish it.

I attempted Origins after completing Horizon Zero Dawn, but didn’t play past arriving in Siwa because it looked & felt so cheap in comparison to HZD.

On completing Odyssey, I enjoyed it so much I went back & completed Origins.

Going around on my spaceship Normandy/Andrestia with my crew was great. Wish the lieutenants had more than the 1-time banter you get from equipping them on the ship. The PC puking + ship moments commentary on weather, goings-ons from Barnabas was great too.

I hope they figure out a way to get the VAs back to justify more Alexios/Kassandra games. Really, Odyssey felt like a bona fide spiritual successor to Dragon Age 2.

Following up on constant “bullet-time” pausing hitching, it seems the game is only meant to be played at 30 fps. With my Haswell i5-4670k quad core 32GB RAM and Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, anything over 30 fps results in causing pausing due to the LOD data streaming in …too fast for my CPU? Gsync doesn’t help at all. I have to just use RTSS or ingame frame limiter to 30fps.

I don’t think that’s the case, I get a good smooth 90fps @ 1440p on my system (which is similar to yours except for the CPU, plus I’m installed on SSD).

Mine’s installed on SSD as well. What’s your CPU? That’s why it appears to me that the CPU is the bottleneck for me.

Odyssey is $18USD at GMG.

CPU is an i7-7700k

Yeah, mine is working great at about 80 fps on 1440p with all settings on ultra/highest. 9700k (not overclocked, yet)

Right–3 generations newer and twice as many threads.

Haven’t used this myself:

Things I didn’t know until later in-game:

-holding jump makes you roll, helps in putting out fires and tossing off lynxes on your back
-i didn’t know you can jump and shoot off your horse
-to make underwater looting easier, get a certain trident off a chest on an island
-don’t pay off your bounties, level up in merc level to get discounts on ships, engravings, blacksmith
-use docks to summon your spaceship, you can fast travel to your ship
-meditate to switch to night for easier fort raids, get to the brazier first before picking off rampart sighters
-you can pet tamed animals or doggies by crouching
-you can aim and throw bodies you heft instead of just dodging to drop them