Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

Is the DLC for this generally considered worth the time? Is it even all out yet? I gather that there was some controversy regarding a canonical marriage for Kassandra in the first one. Was that changed?

Yeah Ubi went back and fixed the marriage gender issue thing in one of their patches.

Main campaign was superior to the meh DLC which was worked on by another team. Quality overall seems less compared to main campaign.

I finished the main storyline content in 80 hours. Of course I really loved this game and got sidetracked quite often. If I had just done only main quests you could probably cut that time in half.

I went completionist, and the time was probably close to what it was for Origins - about 120 hours.

Waiting for the second playthrough until all the DLC has been released.

I am 54 hours in and feel I may just be over half way. I am level 38 and have 2 more Creatures to hunt for that quest line and have been to the Olympics.

Still loving it. This is the longest time I have spent playing a game since ARK and I was unemployed then

Finally finished this up this week. I really enjoyed this:

• Most subquests were interesting enough to keep me involved, which has not been true for AC games in the past. Especially the chains of quests from certain characters.
  • I enjoyed the choices on how to respond, minimal as they were and despite the lack of consequences. It was still enough for me to feel like I got to define my character to some degree.
  • Skilltrees were great, with really overpowered feeling skills rather than +1s everywhere
  • I loved the way it encourages treasure hunting; even though I used map markers, just the process of bringing up the map, searching for the place they’re talking about, do I have enough info to find it; it’s an enjoyable process
  • Also loved the touches of fantasy in the game
    Really this felt like a great light action-RPG rather than an “Assassin’s Creed” game, even more so than Origins. I hope they continue in this vein for future games and I will be all aboard.

FYI for anyone on the fence about whether to get this: Steam has the base game on sale right now for $24 US-- it’ll still make you open up Uplay but I guess the Steam integration has some benefits re: friends lists, chat etc? Does this have any multiplayer to speak of?

Nope, single player only.

Thus no particular benefit to having it on Steam?

I’m still playing it, still seems I have a good ways to go. I think all your points are spot on. I think the best thing I can say about it is it does not feel like an AC game to me at all. One of the best worlds I’ve seen in a game - it really does have an MMO feel. Even now, many hours in, there is never a shortage of things to do.

So, having just run into the stupid giant snake in the (otherwise outstanding) previous game, now I’m curious if there are mandatory stupid monster boss fights in this as well?

Optional, as far as I remember.

Praise the gods! Nothing pulls me out of a game faster than a boss fight where the gameplay is completely unrelated to the normal moment-to-moment of the game. Why would you add boss fights to a stealth game wherein stealth was useless?

Don’t get it twisted. There are human and animal enemy boss fights that are very similar to the mythical monster boss fights. IE - a ton of hitpoints and you need to dodge repeated pattern attacks.

It’s a Ubisoft game, so no. Uplay all the way.

Well that’s distressing. The old games in the series had their issues but I don’t recall that ever being one of them. I wonder what on Earth convinced the devs people wanted this hackneyed nonsense?

It was in Origins also, you had war elephants to defeat, they were mostly optional if I recall, and not fun.

Keep in mind I’,m playing Origins now, which is the basis for my concern. I just hit my first one of these (the giant snake) and am not looking forward to there being more. How many more required ones are there? I really like the game, but a few more of these and I’ll find something else to play instead.

Assassin’s Creed hasn’t been a stealth game for a while.