Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

After stalling on my first attempt, I started again and am now level 25 and got to the point where I met my mother, learned where my father is, and was told we need to go to Sparta to fight corruption there. But, those quests are a bunch of levels over 25 and I don’t know if i have it in me to grind for some levels to be able to complete those quests. I’ve been playing on hard, and other than the boar fight and some cases where I got swarmed by multiple mercenaries it hasn’t been too hard.

I’ve enjoyed Kassandra as a character. The graphics are beautiful. The game play gets too repetitive like most Ubi games. Also, I’ve been playing with the quest markers off on the map so I haven’t found a lot of quests probably - so there should be quite a few to level me up. From the comments above, it seems like people think some of the end game stuff if worth grinding to get to?

I also played on hard, and I had to gain many levels before I could beat that boar. Coming back with an attitude of “remember me?” made it even more satisfying. I enjoyed the other fights like it in the world. There are a couple that I can’t remember if they’re that style or affiliated with the cult. You should definitely find them–the more mythic, the better. IIRC there’s one in the far south and the east. (Not sure how much in terms of any spoilers you would want to know beyond that.)

Can anyone tell me how I switch between my two melee weapons? I think I have two… so long since I played this but it’s been fired back up for the crossover stuff. Confusing controls!

Does this game run more poorly than Valhalla to anyone else?

If using the controller, isn’t it one of the d-pad buttons? If not, you can always call up the inventory screen.

D-Pad to the right?

It seems to have momentary fps drops for no apparent reason. I can be up at 80-90 then it can drop to 30-50 without a lot of complexity on screen, then goes back up.

Mouse and Keyboard :/

Also can’t remember how to change arrow type.

… Oh look at that G for arrows and T for weapon. Thank you internet.

Get thee a controller, sir! To quote the fictional Adrian Monk, “you’ll thank me later.”

This mini expansion is worth checking out for Kassandra fans. There’s more to it than some of the free content.

I saw some gameplay of it but did they change Kassandra’s face somehow? It looks pinched or something, like she’s got a whiff of something smelly.

(In general I really hate it when 3D character models for the same character are different–especially in games of the last, say 10 years, when they can get pretty true to life. Talion in Shadow of Mordor looks one way, Talion in Shadow of War looks like his Neanderthal forebear.)

Well she’s a bit older :)

I would have thought immortality would mean she also had eternal youth, but there’s always a catch, isn’t there?

You’re right. Different art director who thought the original character didn’t look right so they changed her and don’t give a shit about how the players feel about it.

In a very minor nitpick about the expansion, I’m a bit annoyed that the map has clearly just had a first pass through a basic photoshop filter to get the obscured effect, and also that it boots you back without giving you a chance to complete the treasure hunt (mind, most of the epic gear is a bit cursed)

Huh! That’s a very interesting take. Because you are someone playing a videogame, in which you are someone who is playing a videogame.

To me that’s an extra layer that I usually don’t need in a piece of fiction. Like reading a book about a guy reading book, or watching a movie about a guy watching movie.

But isn’t the Animus supposed to be a 1:1 representation of things as they truly were? If so, you’re genuinely supposed to believe what you’re seeing and doing, even though it’s basically a videogame.

I’m not sure they’ve ever done a Devs-style walkthrough of how the sausage gets made. I always assumed that these were accurate simulations based on memories extracted from someones DNA.

Did you play through the first game? A lot of this explanation is from the first game, but basically the animus is used to explain all the things we normally associate with games that are not there in the real world.

For example, why does your character have a health bar? In the animus, that’s a synchronization meter. If you get hurt in the simulation, which Altair didn’t do in his DNA memories, you’re less synchronized. If you take enough damage, you lose synchronization completely and have to go back to an earlier point in the simulation when you were fully synchronized. What about HUD elements? Those don’t exist in real life. It’s because those are displayed by the animus. How come you can’t see as far as the eye can see? How come you can’t enter that region over there yet? It’s because the DNA memories from this particular period only have memories of this area, the other area is therefore “in fog” in the animus. How come you can only do a limited set of moves instead of being able to fight fluidly like in real life? Because that’s the Animus approximating the moves that Altair did. Why can’t you kill civilians? Because Altair didn’t kill any, so by doing so, you’re losing synchronization with the DNA memories in the Animus. How come climbing to the top of a tower unlocks more tasks and map areas? Because Altair climbed those towers, and being in close synchronization with his DNA memories unlocks further things for the Animus in his DNA memories.

There are many other things like that, the first game is chock full of them, explaining nearly all video game conventions away, explaining how they’re only there because of the animus and the DNA memories.

Actually no, it’s a 1:1 representation of things as the subject remembered them. Which in my opinion has always made the Assassin’s Creed games much more interesting than just being historical tourism sims, though that’s also interesting. But, being recordings of memories makes the games colored by the biases and beliefs of the the subject, and is also another way they can sneak in things like gods and monsters without really cheating.

I managed to get to the end of the main story line, but I don’t have the stamina to go after the remaining cult members. I am glad I went back and restarted it after playing 10 hours or so at release. I was never that into the first several AC games, but after the one in England, Origins, and Odyssey - I’ve really enjoyed the characters and story. The environments and atmosphere are all great too. I like the game play up to a point but I always get fatigue well before the end - even skipping much of the side content.

I played on Hard, in exploration mode and turned the icons off. I don’t just like running from icon to icon. I did turn them on towards the end when I just wanted to finish. I started some of the DLC quests, but they will just have to wait until I possibly return at some point.

I’ll have to return to the Viking one too. I put quite a bit of time into that one, but that character and story aren’t nearly as good as the three I mentioned above.