Assassin's Creed: Origins - 2017, Ancient Egypt, hawk spotter drone

The download size is closer to 30GB though, as the game installs uncompressed.

*see the thread on saving space with Compact. ;)

You and me both! Especially with end game optional bosses, like the super ships in Black Flag. Sure I could wait until I fully ipgraded4, and make them easy. But it was more fun to try and eke out a win with the bare minimum of upgrades, such that the margin of error was extremely narrow.

Trying for 30 minutes to an hour, then finally winning, was always a thrill.

Someone mentioned Cleopatra speaking british was a strange thing - I REALLY like that touch. She is Greek, and as such, didn’t really speak like the rest of the Egyptians. Its a nice way to show that particular langauge difference, especially since its so easy to hear.

Anyways - I’ve warmed up to the game again. There is a LOT of historical accuracy in the game that I did not expect - Ubisoft REALLY knows how to make games.

Someone also mentioned (Telefrog?) that Ubisoft didn’t do simulations -. I disagree - this is very much a world simulation, or, at the very least, a world physics simulation. Its amazing how water, oil, algea and so on behave - how sand behave with the wind, how Bayak looks after going through sandstorms, how he hallucinates after too long in the desert and so on.

Really great stuff!

Umm, guys? I just climbed the Great Pyramid and snapped a picture, and the game’s sort of perma-stuck on “saving” the picture. Did this happen to anyone else (PC version BTW).?

Yes sir! Your photo is trying to upload to the global picture share thing. I had to restart one or twice due to that.

Oh Good Lord. The second time I tried it I thought to hit the Escape key and I was back in business. Is it a Windows firewall issue?
I just figured it would save the pic locally, silly me.

I don’t think its firewall related, maybe their photo site was getting a ton of uploads at once? Who knows! I only experienced it twice.

Played way too much of this game this weekend! The quests seem to get better and better as the game goes on (I finally hit lvl 30).

Same here. Uplay reports 11 hours, and I only started playing Friday night!

The one thing that strikes me about this game is the long shadow Horizon Zero Dawn casts over many of its design and even aesthetic decisions.

I didn’t realize how influential H:ZD was in the industry. But seeing that Microsoft job posting elsewhere on the forum looking to hire people to make a game “like Horizon: Zero Dawn”, it must have spooked the bejeebus out of everyone.

Is this really true?

I would argue that basically the only thing horizon zero Dawn did that was (mostly) unique was to do a good job on writing in an open world game.

Origins feels a lot like previous account games but with more rpg elements and better writing.

The hiding in the tall grass mechanic is absolutely almost 100% lifted from Horizon.

The “come here” whistle from cover is lifted from Horizon.

The “always a full moon” with an ultra bright night is also from Horizon. In both games the moon shines like a flashlight.

They’re not exact matches but the crafting and weapon management reminds me of Horizon. Also in the way the games expects you to harvest animals for upgrades. I mean that’s common with a lot of games but it feels somewhat Horizon-y here.

The “riding on horses” mechanic is a bit the same. It’s a stretch, AC has had horses before, but not in an open world.

AC:O is its own game with a long pedigree and a lot of inherited expectations but I can definitely see where Horizon influenced its design.

WTF? Almost every mechanic you mentioned comes from an earlier Assassin’s Creed game.

The tall grass one? Hmm. I don’t remember that in any of the other games. Maybe I’m wrong!

Yup. AC3 and AC Black Flag.

Edit: In fact, now that I think about it, everything you mentioned is from earlier AC games. I was going to give you a pass on the full moon bit, but Syndicate had that.

You’re turning my world upside down here @Enidigm. I haven’t played Horizon: Zero Dawn yet, but the one thing I thought everyone agreed upon in that game’s thread was the fact that the game took all the mechanics from other games and put it in the context of a robot animals world instead. But now games are borrowing mechanics from H:ZD? You’re making me dizzy.

I think you’ve just proved how long a shadow Assassin’s Creed cast over games like Zero Dawn :)

Ah, never played those (well never got far enough in AC3 to see the grass).

Yeah sorry @Enidigm - even horses were in AC1 in an open world setting, and if not, then Red Dead Redemption and The Witcher had that too.
Think you could whistle in AC1 as well, and if not in that ones then one of the early next ones :)