Assassin's Creed: Origins - 2017, Ancient Egypt, hawk spotter drone

Why is this needed for an E rating? School kids see naked art statues in class. At least I did, and I went to an extremely conservative protestant private school that didn’t even have any sex ed.

Man, I swear there was a Simpsons episode about this and the statue of David.

Giant scorpions, mummies, and ghosts!

Is there anything to worry about spoiling if I jump into Origins with the intent to still go back and play Black Flag, Unity, and Syndicate at this point?

I’m guessing basically no given the games I’ve played so far. I mean, stuff in the modern world changes, but nothing revelatory or mind blowing, so I’m probably safe. But someone speak up and stop me if there’s anything that truly deserves to be experienced in order.

Nope.

Almost nothing happens during the present day aspects of those games. It’s just kind of a framing device.

3/13/18

Fat patch after the DLC drop.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1852400-Assassin-s-Creed-Origins-1-4-1-Patch-Notes

Tempting with the sale. Is the combat in Origins actually good, or just different? Does it manage to stay at a decent level of difficulty throughout the game, or does it eventually get pretty easy?

I’ll probably wait until the game + season pass gets to around $30, so I’ll probably need to wait another year or two. It sounds like the season pass adds some interesting areas to the game, right?

Combat was pretty easy past level 30 for me. Getting a weapon that heals on hit is so OP. And you can just level it up at a vendor for some coin, use it the rest of the game.

I actually preferred the combat in Syndicate, looking back.

I haven’t touched any of the DLC, but plan to.

It’s adequate. It is a lot more floaty than Dark Souls, but if feels tighter than, say, Witcher 3. It’s not oh-my-god-this-combat-system-is-fantastic good, but it’s enjoyable. There are many different weapons and playstyles, which is good too.

As for difficulty, I’m at level 21 or 22 and some fights can be really hard, especially against higher-leveled enemies or groups of similar level enemies.

The combat is just okay. It never really grabbed me. It’s too finicky and timing-based for casual bulldozing, but it’s not skill-based enough to be satisfying.

I think I preferred Unity’s approach to the hitbox combat.

Thanks for the opinions. I feel better about waiting some more.It looks so gorgeous though.

I’m in the all to common “post The Witcher 3 open world funk”. I want something beautiful to explore that also has good game play and good writing. I’m in the middle of Horizon Zero Dawn, and while pretty good, my desire to continue with it is decreasing. I usually prefer melee combat to ranged. I’m also not great about switching weapons or ammo in the middle of combat.

The recreation of Ptolemaic Egypt in Origins is absolutely breathtaking. Even if the combat sucked, I’d still consider playing just to see the world as it appears there. It’s really, really impressive.

As for quests, well, don’t expect Witcher 3 quality stuff from Origins and you should be fine.

True, but I find that the amount of coin required gets rather hard to come by (my level is in the low 20s last I checked). And yes I loot most every vase/urn, fabric bolt, sack and chest.

Time to go hunt some lions. ;)

Made crazy good coin selling pelts.

Imagine how I feel over here with Raven’s Cry on the go.

I keep looking at the screenshots and feel my willpower faltering.I’m trying to justify it thinking that I won’t be buying any games for the last half of 2018. Also I think the only thing before then that I’m really looking forward to is Pillars of Eternity 2 and with it’s delay I’m not sure it will be worth getting before I go to France.

1 day later…

:)

It is gorgeous. The environmental scale and detail is one of a kind. Quest writing may not be top shelf but it’s all voiced and delivered as befits a big-budget title. Combat was much improved over the older games, and the addition of loot was icing on the cake. 40% discount is a good deal.

I’m playing through it for my third time right now, working up towards the Pharaohs DLC. Probably put it on the shelf for a bit after that, but as I’m on my third walkthrough, clearly the game is a good time. For me, anyway. And I haven’t even gotten to the Discovery mode yet.

The one big negative I have with this game is the rewards for doing the longer quests (star maps, taking out the Phylakes, they just aren’t worth the time you put in to complete them, for the rewards they give.

Every outfit should have had a perk of some kind.