Assassin's Creed: Origins - 2017, Ancient Egypt, hawk spotter drone

The hidden blade is a red herring. There are lots of us who don’t care a whit about it. ;)

But the “snick” sound. How can you not find the “snick” sound unbelievably satisfying? Are you some sort of Templar?

I’d play Origins 1st, then Odyssey .

Just finished the Pharaoh dlc for this. Pretty good in my opinion. The Hidden Ones dlc was fine too but it was more of the same compared to this, which mixes it up with a few mythical beasties and a number of more fantastic regions. Quite looking forward to Atlantis in Odyssey now, but I think an ubibreak might be in order. Need to be refreshed for Breakpoint in October :)

I decided to try Odyssey first, as Greece > Egypt for me and it’s the more recent. I have zero invested in the AC series, having tried the Venice one once and bouncing off of it. I’m quite liking Odyssey, though, and when Origins comes on sale next time I will probably snag it.

Damn, but Ubi can build some worlds.

I am only a dozen or so hours into Odyssey, but I much preferred the Egyptian setting of Origins.

The eternal conflict, Egypt vs. Greece! Or something. Both are pretty wild. I’ve been to Greece, though, but not Egypt, sadly.

Egypt but not Greece for me. Bolivia too!

Memorial Day weekend, perfect time to jump into an oversized Ubi open world game, right? So I figured I worked my way up to, but stopped just short of playing Origins. And now, some years later, I figure what the heck, let’s give it a shot.

Most of what I’ve heard is how different the game is from previous ACs, but there’s a fair bit that’s consistent with the earlier games too. Yeah, it’s gone fully open world RPG, with leveled weapons and armor, but so far that hasn’t really shown itself to be a ‘loot chase’, though I guess we’ll see how that looks in about fifty hours. But a lot of the other stuff, the traversal, synchronization, random quests bopping around the map, yeah it feels like Creed. And I mean that in a good way, I’m invested in the series and I’d hate to see it just totally ditched. I see there’s also a somewhat perfunctory present day story that I’ve seen for a total of one cutscene, so I’m not sure where that will go, but I’m interested. Liking the first six hours or so!

I picked this up on Steam sale, but I’m immersed in Odyssey at the moment, which also starts with some odd present-day or near-future story beat. I have no investment in the AC franchise, but love open-world RPG type games, and so far Odyssey is excellent, which makes me look forward to Origins when I get round to it.

Anyone have an older (before Skylake 6xxx) quad-core i5 system running Origin or Odyssey want to test something for me?

If you don’t have vsync or framelimiter on to 30 fps, when you run the benchmark are a lot of the NPC people untextured “potato people?” ie white placeholder toga/hoodie wearing pink 3D models?

I have an original i5-750. I ran Origins just now, Uplay didn’t have any options for a benchmark, so I started the game. 10 minutes later the game started up, and I looked around in the menus, framelimiter was off, vsync was off, most stuff was set to ultra. But I couldn’t find any benchmark option.

Sorry.

It’s buried in performance tools.

Ah ok. I’ll try again some other day. I don’t have another 10 minutes to start Assassin’s Creed Origins today. Seriously, what the hell is up with the game taking this long to start up on an SSD?

I’m trying to confirm a Ubisoft engine problem with it hitching pausing constantly while running around even with a GTX 1080 Ti GPU. I couldn’t play it with vsync on or off and had to force fps limit to 30. I think it’s why Ubi artificially limited horse speed in-towns in Odyssey.

I remember getting a lot of those potato people constantly in both games.

Heck, I saw that bug on my i7 6700 in one mission where Bayek has to kill a dude in a bathhouse. It was fairly soon after launch though-- maybe in November 2017.

After maybe 8-10 hours in game so far, I feel like maybe I have my head around the combat. A little bit. At least I don’t immediately die when I get hanged up on, which is pretty much any fight that I don’t whittle down participants through assassination first.

Combat is much different than the earlier games. OK, that’s probably a “duh” statement, but I mean it’s totally different, you can’t hang back and just parry and counter. You kind of can, but it’s not as deadly as it used to be. The introduction of health bars means you’ve got to bang on them with a sword or staff or spear for a bit. It takes getting used to.

But I like the exploration and the side quests and activities are pretty fun. And Alexandria is gorgeous. I’m still pretty early on and taking my time finding stuff but I’m getting comfortable with the changes.

I am really pleased with this game, having a great deal of fun. It’s like they took a bunch of good stuff from other games, like The Witcher 3, and then put it in with their own good stuff and made it better. The Witcher 3 is still (so far, though I don’t see that changing dramatically) the better story, and populated with better characters. But movement and combat is much better here. And I don’t have to keep repairing my gear! Man, that got old.

It’s funny to see how some of the tropes from other games got their origins, I guess? It is the title of the game after all! But the way Bayek likes jumping off tall things into bales of hay, well all the assassins should do that! And Bayek accidentally cuts off his left ring finger during an assassination? Well now all recruits will cut off their ring finger! Sure, makes sense.

One other thing - going back to my earlier posts, I recall how concerned I was about leveling and gating off areas, but that’s not been a problem due to my playstyle which is to see and do everything. I’m pretty much always overleveled!

No more potato people after upgrading to Ryzen 7 2700 and NVMe M.2 SSDs.