Assassin's Creed: Origins - 2017, Ancient Egypt, hawk spotter drone

A ha ha, I am not the only senile old fart in these parts!

I don’t even have that excuse. I’m only 32. 32!

Oh man, early onset dementia is a bitch. Time for your diaper!

It all starts to go downhill after 32. I can’t even find my car in the parkling lot most days. :(

I liked Unity’s fighting style, as I mentioned in that thread (I think), it felt suitably dangerous. But from the video, Origins’ fighting style looks different from that. Showing a life bar, for one thing, makes it look more like a traditional brawler or something like that. I don’t know, it just looks a little off to me.

People complained that it was ‘harder’ but it was actually just a system you had to pay attention to, for shame. Every other AC game had you face 20 goons with your sword and you could parry-counter-kill everything in less than a half minute. Unity was like nope, and people went nuts. It took about 10 minutes of me saying ‘oh I actually have to move’ before I got it, then when Syndicate came along I played super cautiously until I realized it had gone back to the old ways. Now we’re going back-back.

It’d honestly be nice if Ubi could just pick a combat/control scheme for AC and keep it around for a few games. IIRC, the entire scheme was switched between 2 and 3 and then again between Rogue and Unity and then back to something completely new for Syndicate and now we’re getting yet another one for Origins. Please stop.

Yeah with every other AC game, you could be surrounded by twenty dudes and then be all “hold my beer.” But if one guy with a sword got behind you in Unity, that’s a one hit kill. It felt right, and it put the fear in you. I liked that.

Origins has the bow and arrow now, I hope it changes up the game to allow for more stealth.

In Unity, the enemies had life chunks on their bar, as they do in Syndicate, but in Unity your damage was very dependent on the weapon you used and your damage stat. Positioning was important in that enemies didn’t have to wait for one another. You could be surrounded and killed. But, as with all previous AC games, the engagements were locked into animation.

In Origins, they completely opened it up so combat depends entirely on hitboxes. Level and loot makes an huge difference.

Hmm, I bought Unity recently–now I need to install it and check it out.

Bear in mind it’s got its downside - the map is going to be a blob of collectibles and the story’s no great shakes - but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Also the Dead Kings DLC has one of the most awesome weapons in the entire series - basically a grenade launcher with a bayonet.

Also a bunch of MP only missions on the map, which you won’t be able to do because…well, no one is playing it. So that’s fun.

You can play them solo. Some of them can be quite challenging that way, but they’re all doable.

The best part of AC:Unity was how AC:Rogue tied into it.

I disliked the main character in Unity. It also had the least interesting HQ in the entire series, and the upgrades were meh. :(

I had no idea, thanks. I haven’t touched it for a year, so I’d have to relearn, I might just leave it be as the One AC That Got Away. It was just so bland except for the combat.

Paying more attention to the stuff revealed at E3, and I think a big development for some people is going to be the fact that hidden blade stealth stabs are not auto-kill in Origins.

One of the factors of me enjoying AC 2 less than the first game was the fact that I found out about the hidden blade thanks to Qt3. I don’t know what tutorial I missed in the original AC (because there were a million tutorials in that first opening area) but I never knew about the hidden blade. So all my combat in AC was with the sword. And it was a lot of fun. But after Qt3 told me about the hidden blade, that’s all I used in AC2. I do wonder if I gimped my own fun as a result of that.

Hang on, didn’t they take away every weapon but the hidden blade at the beginning of the first game?

No, but that does sound familiar. I think that happened in AC2? I suppose it could have happened in the first, since it’s been so long. If it happened in the endless tutorial areas, that would explain it. I played those tutorial areas when the game first came out. And then I put the game aside for a few months, maybe a year. And then I came back to it and played it again, trying to re-acquaint myself with the game without having to play all that early tutorial stuff again, which was terrible.