Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Formerly 'Victory'

So, I¨ve misunderstood the levelling system, and as such wanted to change some skills. Not possible. As in, AT ALL. So basically, what Im left with, is starting over in the game. Only, thats not possible either? Normally, you have several game slots in AC games, but nope- not here. So, what the hell, Ubisoft?

I’ve read that it just plain doesn’t work on Windows 10, which is a super downer, as I never got to play Unity, and it will break my ‘finished all AC games’ streak.

Unity works fine on Windows 10, at least it did on my machine.

Yeah, I’ve seen quite a few folks posting screenshots and video showing that DX12 actually improves things like draw distance and pop-in.

Unity seems to have an awful lot of “She turned me into a newt!” bad mythology out there.

Goddamn it then, Steam forums. Perhaps my record will not be broken.

Perhaps it’ll show up on the steam halloween sale?

The Winter sale would be fine, also…I still need to pick up Rogue and get through that…then Unity, then I can get Syndicate, before my AC’ing is complete.

I just found out that Austin Wintory composed the soundtrack for AC: Syndicate. In case his name isn’t familiar, he’s the one behind the soundtracks in Journey and The Banner Saga.

It may sound funny, but my interest in the game skyrocketed after learning that. I hope the PC port is good…

Anyone playing this on console? Impressions? Thoughts?

I loved today’s PvP comic. :)

I am, on the PS4.

The city is beautiful - its one of the best and most realized cities Ive ever played in. There are two protagonists you can choose between, and thats pretty clever. I dislike the male one, simply because his feature is brawling, whereas Evies is stealth and knives, and she’s just adorable. The stories are fine so far, with a great cast, and as always superb production values in pretty much everything.

I do have to say though, that its absolutely rage inducing how often I do things wrong. Chasing a streetcar for a few blocks, FINALLY getting close to it, and then suddenly jumping up on top of a lamppost and sitting there, while the wagon is driving away makes me vivid with rage, and thats such a shame.
Maybe I just suck at the controls at this game, but still - I feel the control scheme is DIFFICULT, perhaps because there are so many different different objects that can be manipulated.

If you are better at the controls than me, or less inclined to let it worry you, its a great version of AC. I do miss the songs, and the waves though.

That actually sounds largely encouraging, thanks for the impressions! I too am not great at these third-person controlled games, but I usually get better the more I play. What you described would induce rage in me, as well (hell, I stopped playing AC2 because I COULD NOT WIN that foot race like right at the start of the game and never played the entire franchise again until Black Flag, which I actually thought was a blast).

Ha! It’s amazing to me that after all these AC games with supposed engine changes, I still find myself yelling, “No! That ledge dammit! THAT ONE! Just fucking climb that ledge, you idiot!”

This pleases me greatly…greatly.

I’m playing on the Xbone, no problems so far beyond the normal AC stuff like player controls that Razgon mentions. Personally I’m finding this one pretty middle of the road. I like it ok, just because I’m down with the whole formula at this point, but it’s not dramatically better or worse than the earlier games. You’ll be doing the same stuff you do in the other games, killing people, stealing stuff, and trailing people until you kill them and take their stuff. I like that there are two protagonists to work with, but they’re not dramatically different. They share an ability tree that differs in just a couple of slots between the two. I mean, at this point you know if you’re an AC person or not, right?

Ubisoft CFO Alain Martinez on their quarterly investor call talked about Syndicate sales numbers:

“Clearly in our first week, we were impacted by what happened with Assassin’s Creed Unity. Versus Unity, Syndicate was down in the first week but nicely outperformed it in its second week as it benefitted from positive word of mouth.”

If they wanna release the PC version early…

…no wait. Next week is FO4. No, Ubi, carry on. I’ll wait!

Been playing a good bit of this lately and in some ways it’s a definite step up, but in others it’s very much the same old thing. I definitely like the protagonists quite a bit more than most of the recent batch, in fact they’re probably the best we’ve seen since Ezio. There really isn’t much difference in how the siblings play, they have slightly different skill options at the top of their respective trees, but since you’re assigned the character for use in each mission it’s not really like you can change them up to see how things would work out differently with the other.

I like the villains too. The main Templar is basically an even more psychotic Daniel Plainview, and even his henchmen are interesting. They’re all cut from the robber baron cloth in respect to their ambitions. I like the base in this game, and I guess I won’t go into details since some might consider it a spoiler? I never can tell. Anyway, it’s pretty cool in a Wild, Wild West kind of way.

There are additional RPG elements present here that gate your progress slightly. You’ll start at level 1 and earn points that can be cashed in for skills on the tree I mentioned, and at certain levels of skill point investment you’ll earn a new level up to 10. Each borough of London has a suggestion skill level which basically seems to drive what level the enemies are at. As best I can tell, levels seem to work kind of like Destiny - if you’re a level or more below your opponent, you’ll do less damage and take more. I think this is mitigated somewhat by your equipment, but since that’s gated by level as well there’s only so much you can do there except try to grind those points.

There’s more of the bizarre and yet fun (in my opinion anyway) crossing of paths with historical figures. I don’t think I’m giving away anything by mentioning you’ll encounter Dickens, Darwin and Alexander Graham Bell (who will play the part of Q for you in this game). They’re all eccentric in their own way and I have no idea how closely that corresponds to their real-life counterparts, but I don’t expect that much fidelity with real life in my sooper sekrit conspiracy club games. Your mileage may, as always, vary.

I do have to say that one of the Dickens side quests has taken the prize as the most annoying mission in any AC game I’ve yet played. I’ll say no more than that I’m sure you will know it when you see it. Luckily it’s a side mission and can be skipped, but that’s like a little stab in my completionist heart. Took me several tries anyway.

Prooooooooooobably not the best sign that a PC launch stream to show off the game sponsored jointly by UBI, nVidia, and Razer was canceled abruptly today, with gamers blithely informed that it’ll be shown on launch day instead.

Starting to get a bad feeling about the port.

May end up playing this on PS4 after all.

and then…

@assassinscreed 2h2 hours ago
Today’s stream has been postponed until PC Launch Day, Thursday November 19th. See you then assassins!

If my PS4 had SSD-like load times, sure, but I’m spoiled f’n rotten by my PC.

Well, that’s a nice way of avoiding spelling out the harsh truth, they present a scenario that is seemingly equivalent: one game did it better one week, the other did better in the second week. Of course, it’s the nature of these games to be very front-loaded to the first week, so in no way they are really equivalent cases.