Assassin's Creed - the movie starring Fassbender

Meet Michael Fassbender as Callum Lynch

Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.

Also starring Marion Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Michael Kenneth Williams (12 Years a Slave), and Ariane Labed (Before Midnight)

Dec 21st, 2016.

A Christmas release? I would have assumed this would be dumped out the January window. It sounds like Fox might have some confidence in this thing!

-Tom

It hasn’t started shooting yet, though. There’s still plenty of time for things to do dark about when you’re expecting the PR blitz to ramp up and then someone at Fox quietly notes that the release has moved to January.

So I guess Fassbender will be playing both the present day character as well as his ancestor? Or will he just be rampaging through the streets in 15th century garb?

Oh, sure, but right now it’s taking up a slot that Fox would have otherwise used for another Christmas release. Do they just not have anything coming down the pike at that point, or are they banking on it to be a big event movie that will grab the Christmas crowd? Frankly, I would have assumed this was just going to be another Max Payne or Hitman.

By the way, director Justin Kurzel’s previous movie – Snowtown Murders – is absolutely awesome, but very non-traditional. This Assassin’s Creed project sounds like another situation where he’s been hired because he’ll be malleable, so Fox can get him to do whatever they want. He also probably got the job from cultivating a relationship with Fassbender when he directed him in the Macbeth that’s coming out later this year. Unfortunately, after the Fantastic Four debacle, I don’t have a lot of confidence in Fox shepherding green directors to make successful big budget franchise movies.

-Tom

“OH HAI.”

Sure, why not.

Rooftop? Check. Hoods? Check. Throwing knives? Check.

Looks like they have the franchise down.

Assuming the feathers are just off camera in this shot of course.

Well, it was flags in the first game, but yeah.

You sure those aren’t steak or butter knives?

It’s certainly an interesting choice of roles for Mr. Fassbender.

This time, we get an action pic of the new assassin.

That battle we apparently see must really be the bad guys standing in a circle sending one guy at a time to duel Fassbender. See the executioner just standing there? Part of the circle. It wouldn’t be a proper AC movie unless the bad guys attack one at a time.

They form the attack circle then he tosses a smoke bomb, and we can’t see anything, 30 seconds later everyone around him is dead. Think of the money saved on fight scenes!

And where is Kristen Bell? She is not even getting a cameo?

And now the trailer:

— Alan

I can’t believe they kept the Animus shit. Fassbender is great but this looks terrible.

Visuals look ripped straight from the game. It will have lots of flashy action. Have to wait and see if the story is worth a shit.

Of course the big question is…how many chests will he open?

More so, will he be collecting feathers or flags or songs? :p