Assassin's Creed: Unity - Vive la révolution!

I wonder if they’re going to compensate for the lack of sailing as a core element by going full GTA and having multiple player characters. That’s not to say that the ship element isn’t going to be included in some way - I’ve no idea.

Just speculating here, but as mentioned French Revolution makes the Scarlet Pimpernel an obvious tie-in. There will certainly be “Scarlet Pimpernel”-like missions (rescuing prisoners from guillotining, etc). They might chose to go “Tale of Two Cities” on the story, and split the action between Paris and London, as well as add some North French coastal towns if they want to keep some naval action in there (blockade running, smuggling, etc).

Or maybe it will be like “Les Miserables”. Why not, Black Flag had lots of sea shanties.

I wish they could stop the forward march and went back to do, say, the fall of Roman Empire, or China at the beginning of Ming dynasty.

I think they already went backwards in time once, so no worries on it being only a forward march. I haven’t played them yet, but I believe AC4 takes place before AC3 on the timeline. So there’s precedent on going back and forth on the timeline now.

I just finished reading Scaramouche, by Rafael Sabatini, the king of the swashbucklers. And OMG it’s the perfect plot for this.

Just before the French Revolution an idealistic young priest is slain by a heartless aristocrat. The priest’s cynical young bourgeois lawyer friend swears vengeance for purely personal reasons - he doesn’t believe in his friend’s ideals at all - and during his long pursuit of revenge the lawyer becomes a great actor (hiding from the authorities in his stage makeup of Scaramouche), charms the women, pops up at crucial points during the French Revolution espousing his dead friends ideals, and engages in a great many swordfights. At the climax of the book, with the Terror raging around him, the lawyer finally gets his chance for revenge against the heartless aristocrat - only to discover that (DUM DUM DUM) the heartless aristocrat is in fact his father!

It’s got AC written all over it.

Wow, they make AC series faster than I can play them, and I have not even finished AC: Brotherhood. Damn it. Looks like I need to skip Revelations and try AC3 first while waiting for AC4 to come down in price. Is AC3 even worth the effort?

But French Revolution - that is a nice era to be in. But Paris is mainly low rise buildings. Does that mean there will be less scaling to do? That doesn’t sound attractive then.

Well… AC revalations is from 2011, so its not like they just made it ;-)

Ha ha… But they just made Black Flag!!

They have different teams. I read this has been three years in the making. You can’t pump out AC games yearly with the same studio.

It looks nice visually (even if they will probably apply the good ol’ downgrade), but the real question is about the design. I swear, if this game has any kind of collectable bullshit again (like animus fragments, thousands of chests, fucking shanties), and you know it will, and if it has dozen god damn tail missions and one button combat…then I will wait for 5 dollar steam sale and get it for the Paris exploration alone.

Hell yes. I played all AC games back to back about two months ago and AC3 really stood out, in a good way. Best combat in the series, interesting characters (I really liked Connor), great art design and soundtrack, etc. I wouldn’t say it’s the best AC game I’ve played, that would probably be Black Flag, but it’s damn close. It was a very welcome change of pace after Ezio’s arc, both in storytelling (it puts the whole assassins thing into the background) and gameplay.

First gameplay footage from the Microsoft pre e3 show.

• Paris looks great
  • New animations
  • Larger crowds
  • 4 player co-op
  • Larger interiors
  • Gratuitous beheading
  • Cake physics

I sort of appreciate they are going all in with the setting, but the head(s) at the end… man.

Also, there’s no army on Earth that could stand up to 4 assassins fighting together, (or even 1, really), so I’m very curious how Ubisoft will handle this.

• New animations

What new animations? :P

Most of the assassin’s animations were new. The jumping/twirling drop at the beginning, the combat. Believe me, I’ve seen the AC3/4 animations a lot.

Open world gameplay demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-CAh-5b_I <- Same video with developer commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlFjIYavMZo <- Co-op mission with commentary

Murder investigations!
An outstanding sense of perspective and scale!
Completely silly table based stealth!
Tons of freaking icons and side objectives!

Now show us the PvP!

Why hasn’t there been an AC game set in feudal Japan? Ninjas! Seems like an easy call.

That would be cool.

The cinematic trailer was badass. Really looking forward to this, though I have some reservations about the setting. AC3 was good but the setting was a bit dry, and I wonder if this one will feel the same after the sun-soaked shenanigans in Black Flag.

Did anyone catch the details on co-op? Is it strictly mission based or can you play the full campaign with it?