Assassin's Creed: Unity - Vive la révolution!

I’ve only played an hour or so but thus far it looks great and runs great on my machine. I’m barely into the game, though, so I’m not trying to give it a ringing endorsement or anything.

Sure, and I get that, but TotalBiscuit also has the habit of flying off the handle and playing up technical issues a lot more than others. It’s good that he drills down to very specific tech issues in his vids, but sometimes he can get hung up on trivial matters and blow them out of proportion.

I suppose it’s one of the tricky parts if you are reviewer. Let’s say you have a particularly crashy experience with a game. What score do you put? You can’t be sure how typical is that experience to that normal consumer. You can have a computer that played several dozens of games without problems so you think it’s the game fault, but maybe 90% of people aren’t having problems with it.

Hell, my review is my opinion anyway, so I’ll mark it a 1 out of 10 or whatever.

And I’m not criticizing TB’s bitching about the game. If it’s crashy and shitty on his system, so be it. (I tend to think that because his system is so much closer to the leading edge than most, he has more tech issues than others may with any game - but that’s another topic entirely.) His “Let’s not play” does a decent job of explaining why he had a crap experience.

Heck, with the hundreds of gifs and videos I’ve seen of glitches and terrible framerates on all platforms, I don’t doubt anyone that says they’re having issues with Unity.

I’m only an hour into the game but I actually kind of like it. Sure, so far it doesn’t do anything new but after AC2 and Brotherhood I wanted the next one set in France and I finally got my wish. And this is the first one in a long time that I actually played the AC game during release week instead of leaving it untouched and playing it months later.

We’ll see what kind of glitches I encounter as I put more time into it.

Biggest glitch I’ve seen so far (about five hours in): an npc walking on water! I jumped into the river to see if I could walk on water, too. Nope. No miracles for me.

You can unlock that for $5 in the microtransaction shop.

Well what’d you expect? When the National Assembly suspended tithes the Catholic church was very unhappy. You think they’re going to go around handing out miracles to freeloader Jacobins? For the low price of $5 though they might be willing.

Oh, goody. Ubisoft talked to BBC about the issues.

"The nature of games themselves and the way they are being reviewed is changing, as evidenced by games like Assassin’s Creed Unity, Destiny and The Crew - games that have significant online components.

Having the online elements available and having populated worlds is essential to creating a representative and complete experience for reviewers.

Achieving this prior to launch is incredibly complex, which is why some games are being reviewed much closer - or as was the case with Destiny, even after - the game launches.

We are working to adapt our services and communications with consumers accordingly, both by changing the way we work with reviewers and by offering customers open betas or other early access to some games, all so that they have the information they need and want."

The game can look great

More

https://i.minus.com/iWosPjHL9VMin.jpg

Yes, when everything is working correctly on a great system, it looks gorgeous - in screenshots. I’d love to see the framerate when moving and actually playing in those scenes. I’m sure the empty hallway and rooms are indicative of normal play.

Edit: This guy says he has a GTX980 and the level of LOD on the background roofs are terrible:

That first shot looks better than Myst. Holy cow.

You must not have played Myst recently, because a lot of games look better than Myst these days.

I can forgive things like that, as the spectacle in the big vistas or aerial shots is not the high LoD of every object, but the entire view, the scale, having hundreds and hundreds of houses filling the view. It’s a bit like I think Arma can be impressive thanks to the scale, where a forest have one thousand trees instead of three dozens like in other video games.

What baloney. In what way did lack of online community negatively impact Unity reviewers? That is some hilarious PR. I guess you can’t come out and say “Yeah we got nailed because of a host of technical issues and having the exact same game play for almost 10 years now.”

The game DOES look great. It looks so good it made me realize why there is so much adornment and lavish attention to detail… before this game i kind of never understood the art style of late restoration early romantic… I thought it was way too decadent… and yes it is… but seeing it in game… its so lush and beautiful. Kind of understand why the rich spent so much money on the stuff.

Guess I’ll stick with my boat.
I swear I could play through black flag a 3rd time.

My bud told me there are chests that you can’t open unless you unlock them in the mobile app…is this true? That seems absolutely insane.

It’s true. There are also other chests you can’t open without the AC Initiates thing.

If these games really were made by the Templars, it’s the sort of thing you’d expect them to do. But with a bit more panache, this is heavy-handed.

This remind me some cutscenes from Ofp / Arma 1 were weird stuff could happen as the simulation was still “on” while doing a cutscene.