Assassin's Creed: Unity - Vive la révolution!

So I guess PC/PS4 had another patch (the 2nd one) and the Xbone version “still in testing”. Sigh.

Meanwhile, my roommate bought the Unity/AC4 system bundle a few weeks ago. I dunno if it’s the TV or what, but I could swear that system plays Unity much better than my older Xbone. I dunno what the deal is. And the system itself boots up super fast. And yeah, we’re both installed on the hard drives and not running off of the disc.

— Alan

I really like the game, but it ate my save.

Darn.

Good thing Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4 come out tomorrow, or I would be more upset. Guess I’ll come back after it’s had some more patches.

One positive is they at least have pulled back even more from the stupid/pointless modern day junk than even AC IV did. It’s just a few cut scenes now.

I like the modern day stuff… <hides>

Looks like the save-losing stuff happened to a few people: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/952210-Lost-my-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-save-any-fix

Be safe out there.

Huh, well, save’s back now. Cool!

Also, joined the club.

Yeah, my save was vaporized. I was up to sequence 5 along with a bunch of side missions. Not too happy.

Then Ubi went and kicked dirt in my face by corrupting my save data for my restart! If I have to go through the intro again for a third time in less than a week I’m going to scream. So AC Unity is now shelved for a while. I’ll check in a week or two and see if it’s more stable. For now, I’m replaying ACII and loving it. There is something special about this game that just tickles my brain in all the right places. In many ways, Unity is a lateral move from ACII rather than a leap of next-gen gameplay improvements.

I think it’s obvious that if Ubi had just released Unity as a stand alone game - rather than connecting it with Initiates and Nomads and whatever else would try to grab a few more pennies from my pockets - the game would not have all these problems. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Digital Foundry face-off: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

Overall, it’s very difficult to avoid the sense that Assassin’s Creed Unity was released in an unfinished state. On PC in particular, it really feels like beta code - feature-complete, but lacking in optimisation, with bugs manifesting regularly. On console, the game is more stable, but clearly performance is unacceptable - the frequent dips to 25fps on Xbox One are jarring enough, but it remains truly remarkable that the PS4 game should drop just as often to 20fps. Last year, Ubisoft had the courage to realise that Watch Dogs wasn’t ready for release and pushed the game back. The end product might not have been a masterpiece, but we didn’t encounter any game-breaking bugs and performance was generally solid. We can’t help but wonder how long it will take until Assassin’s Creed Unity is in the same state. There’s certainly a long way to go yet.

The combat can be a bit infuriating at times.

-When an enemy is in alerted or combat status, you can’t kill him with an air assassination, even if he doesn’t know where you are. Arno will throw himself about him and the enemy will fall on the ground, but even if is the perfect chance, he won’t use the hidden blade.
-Not only that, even if you smash the attack button, Arno won’t attack him until the enemy stand up again and unsheathe his sword. What a gentleman.
-I had an occasion where he didn’t want to use the pistol, and I tried three or four times in the course of that combat.
-I had a few occasions where Arno would sheathe his sword when the combat wasn’t really over, there were still nearby enemies.

edit: you people have activated the cloud saves in uplay?

I hope in casting around for inspiration for the next AC, they steal GTA V’s idea and find a way to incorporate first person somehow. I’d rather look at the setting than hood guy.

Maybe we could transition to an archer :)

I was about to do the same post. :)
Just because how beautiful is the game from an art perspective. So many interesting statues, churches, parks, historic buildings to look at!

I was thinking the same thing, that this game would be incredibly immersive in first-person. Imagine a Thief game with a city this big and detailed.

Or any game at all - Badum Tish!

I just had a genuine mini-flashback to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I think it was a briefly similar moment of lighting, that put me back in the last beautiful game-without-much-game I played…

And now 3 ACU.exe is not working crashes in quick succession. Time to put this down and pick up Inquisition I think.

Speaking only for myself, picked up the game again last night after finishing off Lego Batman 3 (was waiting for the inevitable patch(es)). Haven’t had an issue yet on my PC, and I’m finding the game quite a bit of fun so far. The city seems very well done, and I like the quick-hitting crowd events. Don’t even have to break my stride to protect a citizen/kill a criminal. Good times.

I’m just into sequence 4 (after getting the ranged blades). So I don’t know how it gets from here, but so far, so good for me.

Well I can’t even get the game playing now. I got as far as sequence 5; I was also building up my theater/home. Then when I reloaded the game automatically started with the intro-prelude. I figured I’d play it through to where I could access the main menu where my old save would hopefully be available. No such luck. So I figured I had to start over again, which sucks but “first world” problem… But when I exited the game and restarted a few hours later, it gave me a choice between my hard drive save or the Uplay cloud save. When I tried one and then the other, it said my file (or data) was corrupted and stranded me on the main screen with no other choice but to alt-tab out. So I guess I need to re-install the game? Ugh…

Seems we all are having problems! In my case it wasn’t the games fault, but my ssd dying, and I had the cloud saved turned off precisely to avoid losing the saves thanks to uplay going crazy like some people suffered. I don’t think I will have interest in playing the first 10 hours again of “semi- entertaining busywork” so I will stop for now.

We’ve received a lot of feedback on the performance of ACU over the past week and we’re taking it very seriously. Ensuring that you get the best gaming experience is part of the reason we make games in the first place, so hearing that the game isn’t performing as expected for some of you is cause for serious concern. We know this is a very important issue to you and we want to see it resolved as much as you do.

We’ve been investigating this since launch, because this type of issue requires a great deal of attention and care in both finding the root causes and resolving them. It’s taken us some time to make progress on this front, but we’ve got some promising findings to share.

We can tell you that we have detected a distinct discrepancy between what we observed in the pre-launch versus post-launch environment. In spite of our testing, it looks like the instruction queue is becoming overloaded and impacting performance. We have several fixes we are exploring right now and will continue to update you with our progress of what is working and how quickly we can implement these fixes in the game in the weeks ahead.

Though crowd size was something we looked at extensively pre-launch, it is something we continue to keep a close eye on. We have just finished a new round of tests on crowd size but have found it is not linked to this problem and does not improve frame rate, so we will be leaving crowds as they are.

My crash seems to have gone away after verifying files via Uplay.

OK. First major gripe time. Possible spoilers, I guess, but I’m just saving those of you who haven’t finished this yet.

That series of quests with Nostradamus and getting the special ‘armor’ behind the cage in the café? Sounds a lot like the armor you used to get in the Ezio trilogy of games, right? Let me stop you right there. Get all the ‘tokens’, figure out the puzzles behind three doors to open the cage, and the armor is nothing more than a freaking color change. No extra armor. No extra protect. Does nothing but turn your current set of armor the colors of France or something. I may play the game again, but never will I go through that tedious bullshit for so little a reward.

At least the murder mystery things give you a weapon.