Assassin's Creed: Unity - Vive la révolution!

Except that’s it for Unity. The cancellation of the season pass means they won’t be working on any other story DLC going forward.

But hey, free game if you had the season pass, and everyone gets the first bit free now!

The fact that the chests do something when you press E does make them arguably more interactive than the 5000 NPCs…

Wait, is this true? I can’t get a clear read from the stories I’ve read. They’ve stop selling the season pass, but does that mean they won’t be making any DLC after the first?

Correct. No further story DLC. The Season Pass is cancelled.

If you purchased it, you get the weapons and skins you have now. You’ll get the Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China standalone sidescroller game. There will be no further season pass content.

If you didn’t buy the season pass, you still get the Dead Kings DLC for free. You may buy the Chine game on your own.

Is there a source for that anywhere? Even reading Ubi’s statement and FAQ I don’t see it stated clearly that there’s no further story DLC.

The previous description of the Season Pass content never really noted anything other than various skins and weapons, the Dead Kings story content, and “three extra missions” which could’ve been anything from simple fetch quests to assassin targets. Like AC3, I don’t think anything other than the one big story DLC was ever planned.

This is what the Season Pass FAQ says now:

Season Pass holders will continue to have access to a variety of additional content, including Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China

Note that “variety of additional content” is purposefully vague. I’d be very surprised if they deliver any story content beyond Dead Kings based on Ubi discontinuing season pass sales and when looking back at AC3.

Okay, that makes sense. I didn’t realize they were only committed to one “story content” update in the first place. Sorry for making you answer the same question over and over, I just assumed the season pass would’ve been at least a couple of those story updates.

Yup. The whole reason Ubi threw the China game in the Season Pass is because they were (rightly) criticized for the poor value in the AC3 season pass.

I can see how maybe this doesn’t feel good for some players, but I guess I represent the other side of things.

I don’t buy season passes, generally, because I’m quite skeptical of them. By the time I actually get to the finishing bits of a game and might want more content, the DLC is usually on sale, anyway.

Secondly, with the AC games, when I finally finish one I feel like I’ve just read a Russian novel. I’m all good, thanks. It’s nice that there’s DLC, but holy crap there’s so much game anyway that damn…

So, anyway, to me this feels like a nice make-good of sorts. As someone who owns the base game, I’m getting free DLC.

If I owned the season pass, I’d be getting a new game.

For me, it works.

If Unity were somehow a truncated game with few things to do, I guess I’d feel cheated. Every AC game feels to me like a Peter Jackson Middle Earth movie. They go on just perhaps a bit too long as it is.

So, if they want to pour their resources into:

1. Maybe one more patch for ACU, I’m fine with that, though I can see patch 3 being fin.

2. Pour resources into making sure the next AC using this engine is a better game

3. Making sure folks who bought the season pass get something worthwhile for their expenditure, and finally

4. Even a nice make-good for folks who didn’t buy it.

Perhaps not a perfect solution for all, but I’m not sure such a thing, beyond unrealistic “have your money back” fantasy exists.

And…I went and played a few hours of ACU yesterday to take a break from Inquisition and enjoyed myself, so I’ll definitely be going back once those Dragons have aged and been properly Inquisited.

Yup. For regular players, congrats! You’re getting the only substantial DLC for free now. For season pass holders, you’re getting everything you paid for and a free game.

Unless you hate all the choices they’re offering, it’s a decent apology.

I was more pointing out that the cessation of the season pass was confirmation that there wasn’t going to be anything else.

I too am playing both of these… it’s annoying to have one that won’t zoom but does have mouselook, and one which will zoom but makes you hold down RMB to move the camera…

I can see a new carriage ready to take me to the Dead Kings setting, but it doesn’t seem to be active yet.

I have been in a few situations now where the framerate is low enough to interfere - basically indoor guard-pile-ons where I’m trying to escape some dastardly deed. I do wonder if this will turn out to have been a poor job of optimisation or if this is just the price we have to pay for this much visual density. I’d be happy either way - I just hope the complexity doesn’t get dialled back.

Wow, these end credits are soooooooooooo long.

Are you trying to tell us something?

Skip them, I guess?

Finished the story before the long weekend here in the US, but didn’t want to type up anything when all I had access to was an iPad. Anyway…

Overall, I liked the game quite a bit. I’d put it 4th behind Brotherhood, Black Flag, and 2. Although I will admit a large part of that is I had hardly any technical issues with the game. I didn’t have any crashes (this is the PC version), and the only real weirdness happened when I stabbed one of the criminals during the ‘crowd event’ things (which I liked), and all of a sudden fell through the ground into a seemingly endless fall. However, bringing up the map and fast traveling near by ‘fixed’ that, and I only experienced that once.

Big things I liked where the atmosphere (Paris was really well done - especially the crowds), the ability to free-run down something (seriously - should have been added years ago), the crowd events (yeah, they were easy, but I liked not having to break stride to teach a thug the error of his ways), and the much more free form missions. I also really liked both main characters (Arno and Elise).

The bad - well, the tailing missions (or parts thereof) still suck (especially that one with the barge), although it seems like there aren’t as many of them. The inclusion of multi-player crap in the single-player game (I may be in the minority, but I don’t want any multiplayer or co-op stuff in my game - at least make it an option to turn off), and the story itself. Not that it was bad, but it really was a story set in Paris that took place at the same time as the French Revolution instead of having anything to do with the Revolution. AC3 had its issues, but you certainly felt part of the American Revolution. Here it’s nothing more than window dressing, and it’s barely that.

Went for the home run and ended with a solid RBI double, IMO. Not bad - as I said I liked it and will play it again - but not what I was hoping for.

Also - the modern story stuff - not sure why they even bothered this time around (and I’m one of the few that like the modern story stuff).

On to Rogue.

My game play experiences have definitely improved with the newest patch. No more CTDs, less obvious hitches or slowdowns. Haven’t gotten Arno hung up on stuff he shouldn’t be hung on, though I still think they need to do a better job compositing him to his environment.

This game has 27 minutes of credits.

I’m only mildly surprised. I sat through the credits for Black Flag and they were interminable. I kept hoping for some kind of cut scene payoff at the end, but I got chumped.

Did they patch in more credits in the spirit of spreading the blame?