Assassin's Creed: Unity - Vive la révolution!

Yep, they are mostly “real” enigmas, they usually refer to special places like the park or a big statue or a special building. Very un-Ubisoft, but they use the same system as the Enigma riddles in Batman games, in that they are optional content put outside the rest of the game so it won’t disturb the core experience for most players.

I’m curious how much performance was impacted by Patch 4 and how the game feels as a whole now. My performance was decent to start with (on a GTX 970) but I’m wondering if the game is now “fixed.”

I never had any serious technical problems, and the patch made things slightly speedier, nothing drastic that I’ve noticed. If you want to play, the games seems in good shape.

Everyone excited about Dead Kings releasing today?!

Ubisoft has actually been on a DLC roll; I really liked Freedom Cry (Black Flag) and Bad Blood (Watch_Dogs). Hopefully this will be up to those standards. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

It’s free. Can’t really complain about free.

This is the internet - just you watch!

Downloading! Time to see if that extra fan will actually stop the GPU melting.

The description on Dead Kings is intriguing – I wonder if this exchanges the open world for something tighter and more scripted. Downloading now, will play tonight.

Do you have to download this through UPlay or through the game itself? It’s not showing up in Steam.

It got a really nice positive review on Eurogamer.

Ubisoft investor reporting.

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-US/press/detail.aspx?cid=tcm:99-193929-16&ctid=tcm:95-27313-32

AC Unity and AC Rogue sold 10 million units total across all platforms. Although Ubi management says they are “very pleased” by these numbers, I think it’s telling that they combined the titles’ figures. I think Unity underperformed from the original internal expectations.

Fucking finally. Seriously, Ubi. Stop forcing this online synergy bullshit if you can’t even get it working.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1013223-Patch-5-Release-Notes

•Made Initiate and companion app exclusive content accessible to all players

I’ve been playing a lot of this lately and I’m really digging it. It’s kind of a return to form from the first game, with a lot of the refinements they’ve put in place from later games. The return to form is mainly in two ways: combat is trickier now, in that enemies will gang up on you and not fight one at a time, plus you can get basically one-shot killed if someone gets behind you (or that’s how it seems to me anyway), they’ll just straight up backstab you and that’s it. I kind of like it, you can’t just jump into the middle of some dudes and go all Tazmanian Devil on them. The second throwback is the return of the freeform assassination missions from the original game. There’s quite a few times when you’ll be told to go kill someone and you can work out the best way to do so. Some can be fairly intricate; you can follow a mark into a church and kill him in the confessional booth, and in another you can poison the mark’s wine and watch from a distance while he dies.

One other thing, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to equip a one handed sword and rifle at the same time. It just doesn’t seem possible. At first this bummed me out because I like the rifles but I didn’t want to be caught without a melee weapon when needed, until I actually went into combat with one and found that the rifle doubles as a pretty kickass melee weapon itself. Arno will go all Babe Ruth on dudes that come at you and it’s really fun to see. I don’t even want a sword anymore.

Yeah, rifles are considered their own melee weapon. Wait until you play the DLC, you’ll get a new kind of rifle that… well, I’ll just let you discover it.

There’s something else I completely forgot to mention that I found really amusing in the game. There’s very little present day interaction, just some voices that give you direction at certain points and some intel you can intercept that gives more info on what Abstergo is up to. But one of these documents lists a group of sages that are being investigated (if you played Black Flag you know what a sage is, otherwise it’s kind of tough to get into. Basically reincarnated souls, I guess would be the short version) and one that’s mentioned is David Jones. He’s listed as possibly English, born mid-20th century, said to be “otherworldly”, “extraterrestrial”, and “possessed by multiple personalities”. The lead is considered a poor one by Abstergo because, as they say, how many David Jones must there be in the world? Probably just an inside joke from Ubisoft, but it got a laugh out of me.

So since I don’t have a ps4 or a bone, my friend invited me over to finally play this on his ps4, I spent maybe 4-5 hours doing the story and upgrading the pub/theater/hq , I got past the jump into the future mission, and then took a break. I just cannot get into this game, I dislike the story, the setting for being in the french revolution is so boring, and the combat is still not fun after being changed since the last game. I dislike how so much is tied to story progress such as basic stuff like tossing money to distract or sitting on a bench. I was thinking of getting it for PC, but at this point nothing is making me want to go back and play it more.

You aren’t alone in this, unfortunately. I tried it out last night actually, and couldn’t play for more than 30 minutes. The controls are clunky and non-intuitive and the gameplay itself rather annoying. I actually find the massive crowds to be annoying as well, however good it looks,

I do hope the next one is better, but I have little hope, since its probably been in production for a long time, and its hard to change directions.

Poking around in my backlog, I stumbled upon Unity again. So if memory serves, I liked the young Arno missions well enough. It was a different perspective, right? And they used it to get us into the mechanics of the game. So that was not bad. Then we got dumped into the extended tutorial, which bored me to tears. The highlight of it all was the older dude calling me a pisspot, which I will never tire of.

Now I’m into the game proper, having sorted out the Cafe, completed the first legitimate assassination and the bridge sequence, and the game is growing on me quite a bit. I like the combat more than the watered down mess that became a feature of the series. The gear upgrades, skill upgrades, estate upgrades, etc, are now investing me in my assassin dude, and now I’m beginning to wonder if I ought to have played a little more of Black Flag. That game’s tutorial also put me sound asleep and I gave up on it.

So yeah, I’m very much in awe of the technical achievement here, as played on a fairly beefy PC. The crowds, the ambient sounds and music, the chatter, all of it makes for a convincing game world. Such as it is. I’m glad I gave France a third or fourth chance.

Now if only the online stuff would work.

Black flag is THE assassins Creed game - its also the damn finest pirate simulator you’ll ever come across.

Anyone ever bother with AC:Rogue? I don’t even remember seeing a thread for it. Its like the forgotten AC game. :p