Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Not after the Assassin Vikings got done with them, there weren’t.

No mention of spears for the player character but plenty of axes, swords and shields apparently. Considering they’ve been in the previous games guess they’re just not seen as a selling point, but by Thor’s Hammer Ubisoft better watch out if they took my spears out of the game. If you can let me dual-wield shields of all things then you can let me have a spear.

Otherwise guess I’m rolling out Dark Souls 2 style with dual-wielded shields for some very non-serious meme-tastic fun.

THAT is how you think like a viking.

I guess raiding from your longship will be a little like attacking forts from your ship in Black Flag and Rogue, which I did like. Hope the longships have cannon… :)

Viking rap battle…?

Male or female character like Odyssey it sounds like. Female Eivor has some big shoes to fill, malaka!

Bassed on this is seems like both male and female yes

I’m very excited to announce that I play Male Eivor in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla! 🔥🔥🔥
I just can’t seem to get enough of these sexy bloody vikings! ⚔️#assasinscreedvalhalla

Look at the trailer here:https://t.co/FxPwCBpjeU
🤘🤘🤘 pic.twitter.com/PCA2ByeXVj

— Magnus Bruun (@Magnus__Bruun) April 30, 2020

Eurogamer has a feature up:

Of note:

This mention of having friends along for the ride makes me wonder if there was any truth to rumours Valhalla might dabble with co-op play (which has not returned after a shaky effort in 2014’s Unity). Ubisoft has confirmed to me this isn’t the case - although some kind of interactivity seems to be on the cards. “Valhalla is a single player game,” a Ubisoft spokesperson clarified, “with many online components, encouraging players to share their progress and creativity”.

CG trailer without gameplay and only a few screenshots that look very similar to AC Odyssey maxed.
Ok.

So, instead of embarking on a never-ending journey to defog all the map

Map defogging is the reason I play ubigames :/ This bit sounds good though:

Once again, you’ll be exploring both on land and on water, though it sounds like the naval battles of the past have been dialled back somewhat. There’s no sitting and firing cannons at other boats - Vikings just didn’t do that. Instead, your longships act as your fastest means of travel through the English countryside, along waterways which were the main roads of the era. Boats are also your fastest method of escape after launching an assault on a waterside fort. “Any military location you encounter on the rivers of England is fully raidable,” Laferrière explains. "We want you to be playing the ultimate Viking fantasy, so you’ll get to have your Viking buddies going with you on a longship. Sometimes you’ll get resources to take back and upgrade your settlement, or maybe additional firepower to help take down higher level bandits in the region.

Whew! Bullet dodged.

Agreed on both counts. Map defogging is a significant part of the appeal but the rest of that sounds awesome. I’ve never been all that enamored of AC’s naval combat, so no loss there.

Awesome - buy the Xbox One version and you’ll get the Xbox Series X version w/next gen upgrades for free. No need to fret about which version to buy or pay an upgrade fee or whatever might have happened instead.

Wasn’t that part of the announcement made originally by MS? That they will do this will all titles?

Gameplay details here

The settlement is a key feature of the game. It’s quite grand in what we’re trying to achieve with it. We want you to feel that this is your home, that you’re building, that a lot of what you’re doing in the game world is, at the end of the day, going to feed into the settlement so that it can grow, it can flourish. We have a ton of buildings that people can build. Each building comes with its own gameplay purpose,” Ismail said.

“There’s a lot of effort that’s gone into making sure that players can feel like this home that they’re developing is really meaningful to them. It’s meaningful to the journey that they’re on. The people that they invite to their settlement have meaning to them. Lots of events and things happen based on how you decide to kind of grow this place. It’s really core to the experience of the game.”

Of course, Eivor will need to leave their settlement and venture out into the world to experience it in true Assassin’s Creed style, and Valhalla introduces more adjustments there as well.

The introduction of the Viking longship points to naval combat, which this development team pioneered in Black Flag, while Eivor will also be able to lead their people on raids from the waterfront to gather resources and money.

Valhalla will also update the combat that saw a major revision in Origins, introducing dual-wielding weaponry against a promised “greater variety of enemies than ever before.”

And Valhalla will build off of what Assassin’s Creed Odyssey offered in terms of player customization. In addition to playing Eivor as either male or female, players will also be able to customize Eivor’s hair, tattoos, clothing, war paint, and gear. Meanwhile, choices will have to be made in the story, including dialogue choices and “political alliances” that will affect the world of Valhalla.

“There’s customization on the character we’ve never had in the [franchise] before,” Ismail said. “The gear system has been revamped quite a lot to really push a balance between having great gameplay-oriented gear, but also the look that players can really customize the look of that gear. In terms of the grander choices, it comes down to the journey and the settlement, and what do you want to leave behind in the settlement and what kind of impact do you want to have on the people that you’re trying to take care of?”

OK that gets me interested, I love a home base that you can build up.

No, they could only announce it for Microsoft titles and say they were encouraging all the 3rd party publishers to do the same. CD Projekt Red / Cyberpunk was the first to say yes outside Microsoft, and now apparently Ubisoft too.

But what about the romance options?

Viking Preston: Shield,Bearer, I have a settlement that needs pillaging.

This is sounding better and better, I do love me some base building. I’ve missed that since… are the AC2 games the last ones that had that actually?

It was in 3 in North America, and was a big part of Far Cry Primal too.

I was specifically meaning AC games, but that makes me more interested in Primal.

I guess I didn’t get far enough in 3 to see it. Regardless, I’m pleased to see it return.