Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Haha right, I remember him! I think there are actually two flyters you can hook up with, one flamboyant dude, and a woman who has a “backwards” flyting competition with you, where you’re supposed to flatter your opponent. When you’re done, you can continue the flattering, so to speak.

I generally avoid the romance angles in these games, as they always feel a bit weird and I’ve never really found a game that handled relationships like that very well. But yeah, the female-identifying characters are far and away more appealing (to any gender) and numerous than the male-identifying characters.

Which doesn’t surprise me. It seems male characters get short shrift in a lot of games, even in terms of modeling. World of Warcraft’s human males were horrible looking, and pretty much every MMO from EQ on had far better looking female models than male models across the board. Often, even with non-humans! (Though the persistent “yeah they’re reptiles but the females still get breasts” stuff gets old real fast).

Feb 16th is time to go a-Vikingr

NEW ABILITIES

• Berserker Trap: This attaches a trap to your arrow, spreading hallucinatory powder. Any nearby movement causes the trap to trigger. Surprise clueless passersby!
  • Battle Cry: In a fit of rage, Eivor lets out a blood curdling scream, gaining strength and causing nearby enemies to stumble backwards in fear, interrupting their attacks.
  • Shoulder Bash: Eivor performs a shoulder bash that pushes back enemies and destroys objects.

NEW SKILLS

• Assassin Carry: Automatically carry a body after a successful assassination.
  • Assassin Slide: Slide into enemies and knock them off balance while sprinting.
  • Power Stroke: Trigger a speed boost on the long ship at the cost of stamina.
  • Arrow Looter: Eivor has a greater chance of looting arrows from archers.
  • Fight Ready: Always start a fight with an adrenaline-filled slot.
  • Long Ship Brace: When you are in command of the long ship, the crew will raise their shield with you.

I’m early into my second play-through so this is cool stuff. Especially as Far Cry 6 seems pushed back until whenever.

EDIT: Tried my first River Raid. Pretty nifty. Sort of a rogue like thing, where the more you raid on one run, the harder it gets, and if you die you lose all the stuff you gained on that raid. Mostly a series of camps or villages or forts of various sizes that you raid, and there are quests that send you down different rivers.

Be aware that it really doesn’t get all that much harder. It’s pretty easy even after the alert system kicks in and the settlements supposedly get reinforcements.

Well, yeah, it’s AC; “hard” is sort of not, usually.

Went back to my level 350-ish first run Eivor to finish up the Asgard stuff I didn’t do. Newsflash: Odin is an ass.

Also in the “ass” category is the fact that Ubi have still not fixed the Old Cellar bug where you can’t pick up the tablet and the wine kegs don’t respawn. They are still trying to figure it out, even though it seems lots of folks have sent in videos and files and whatnot.

I still think I’m going to try to actually get some stuff done on the new Eivor that I didn’t do the first time, like megaliths, cairns, legendary weapons, etc. When the Druids DLC comes out soon, though, I may hit it with my higher level Eivor.

Wait, did you finish “main story” (Sigurd’s journey specifically) before you experienced Asgard?

Dunno, it was over a hundred hours and I finished the England pacification before I burned out. Only quests I have now are Order, contracts, settlement, and the new River Raid stuff. No clue what else there is.

What I mean is you fought the, ahem, final boss in Norway and saw wolf shirt dude in a modern day before Assgard. How did it feel?

It’s all bizzare cause previous games had too many sidequests for some people and this game has precisely one. But without it I don’t know how can you understand the main quest ending.

I am trying to recall. I remember going with Sigurd to some Isu temple in Norway and having a bunch of really weird interactions with a tree like thing that impaled people, fighting Odin, and something involving Loki/Basim. But that’s about it, and I still have no clue how Eivor ends up dead in New England.

Ha! Same, I think… I’ve seen what I believe are “end game” with the Viking line (Odin) and the England “pledge” line, but I have no idea if either of those were supposed to have been the main quest line or not. I assume one (or both) were since they are both much more involved than what I have left as “quests.” But neither had a sense of finality since I still have other quests in my “to do” list.

I kinda wonder if that is not what the developers wanted since they are also releasing periodic add on quests? As if you are supposed to hang out and live in the AC:England/Valhalla game world, similar to a Second Life type of thing?

Well, as far as I can tell from the usual convoluted and over-blown AC narrative twaddle, Eivor is a reincarnation/avatar of Odin, Sigurd is Tyr, and Basim is Loki. Beyond that, I have no clue how to connect thee 21st century stuff with the Viking stuff. I seem to be missing…something?

Pretty sure they never tell you.

But how could you understand this before going to Asgard? Do they fill you in about Basim?

Oh, I went to Asgard, I just stopped the first time, before Jotunheim. And the initial dream sequence in Norway, where Sigurd loses his arm, and there’s a big wolf and all, kind of gives away part of it. Besides, Basim is skeevy

Yule stuff changing to Ostara stuff.

Added cosmetic transmog, but at a cost.

We added Change Appearance aka Transmog to the game.

• Change your gear and weapon appearance within the same category of items at Gunnar’s blacksmith in Ravensthorpe for 50 silver. “This piece was already exceptionally beautiful, but if there’s anyone who could improve it, it’s me!” —Gunnar
  • Changed items will be marked with a star in the inventory.

Bah. No mention of the missing Big Flatfish and Big Mackerel. They thought they’d fixed that in 1.1.2, but it didn’t take from everything I’ve heard (and experienced while looking for them).

Ubisoft are starting to turn this into the game I want this to be - Assassin’s Creed: New Horizons. But they lock all the cosmetic stuff behind micro transactions which is so annoying.