If I were to take a poll that asked me to select my most anticipated game of 2019, I would answer Astral Chain. This game is coming out on August 30, 2019. In a mere three weeks, I’ll be able to conduct police work from the end of a chain.
This is a game being developed by PlatinumGames, the masters of button-mashy action games like Bayonetta, Nier: Automata, Transformers Devastation, and the WiiU masterpiece, The Wonderful 101. Wikipedia identifies the dream team working on this project this way:
Astral Chain is directed by Takahisa Taura who was previously lead game designer for Nier: Automata, under supervision by Devil May Cry and Bayonetta series creator Hideki Kamiya. The game features character designs from manga artist Masakazu Katsura.
Because my favorite games from the last several years almost always seem to include these type of genre titles from PlatinumGames, I’ve already pre-ordered this sucker.
Here’s an official trailer:
And here’s a much longer “action trailer” that explains how the combat system works in this game:
Here are some pictures you can hide on your phone to keep your significant others from getting jealous:
And here’s an official wall of text full of bullet points:
MASTER MULTIPLE COMBAT STYLES IN THIS SYNERGETIC ACTION GAME!
Humanity’s last chance against an interdimensional invasion is a special living weapon called the Legion. As a rookie officer in the elite police task force Neuron, you and your Legion will work together to solve cases and save humankind.
The ASTRAL CHAIN game gives you full control over two characters at once for thrilling Synergetic Action, courtesy of PlatinumGames. Alternate between several Legion types and skills to save the world your way.
ASTRAL CHAIN features character designs by the acclaimed manga artist Masakazu Katsura (ZETMAN, Video Girl Ai), and marks the directorial debut of PlatinumGames’ Takahisa Taura (designer of NieR:Automata). Hideki Kamiya, director of the Bayonetta game and writer/supervisor of the Bayonetta 2 game, provides supervision.
- Players can control the protagonist and a special weapon called a Legion simultaneously, building stylish combos by using both characters in tandem
- There are multiple Legions in the game, each with different combat styles and abilities. Players can even strategically change between Legions at will during real-time battles
- This apocalyptic setting is full of intricate details and interesting characters, including citizens and suspects you can interact with in the city, others in the special police task force, and your twin sibling
- Use the abilities of the Legion not only in battle but also for investigating cases and solving environmental puzzles
- Uncover the secrets of the alternate dimension called the Astral Plane, where the mysterious invaders originate
- ASTRAL CHAIN is directed by Takahisa Taura, known for his work as the game designer on NieR:Automata , and supervised by Hideki Kamiya, creator of the Bayonetta series