Astral Tournament - Magic-type single player game

I breezed through the first tourney, only losing my first game. In the next level tourney, I’m 0-4 and getting manhandled. I think they’re subtly encouraging me to register so I can get my hands on Drain Souls and Efreet.

Ironically, the only reason that I have not purchased it, is because I feel the computer cheats by using cards that you can’t. I can have a perfect game going on only to have the computer pull some lame drain souls/4 pheonixes combo that I have to frantically try to deal with.

I have been playing off and on for a few weeks and only just beat the second tourney. I was 6 and 2 with a pretty high score so I won with the tie-breaker. I have near zero hope of making through the 3rd level, but I will try.

It is definitely a game where you need to be relatively lucky with card selection in order to make the 6 or 7 wins to move to the next level. However, being forced to work with the odd cards is also part of the fun to me. I know a couple are useless in some situations, but we must soldier on.

I always support our Battle Mages on the front lines!

Is it true that your standings at the end of one tournament (assuming you did not win it) count somehow towards your standing in the next tournament? Seems like some sort of “score” carries over.

Is it true that your standings at the end of one tournament (assuming you did not win it) count somehow towards your standing in the next tournament? Seems like some sort of “score” carries over.[/quote]

The top 10 or so get some points relative to their placing in the tournament. Normally, you would start at zero points at the beginning of a tourney. If you have to repeat a level because you did not win, you start with the points you earned for placing in the previous tourney (i.e. 1st place = 200, 2nd place = 150…etc. I am guessing at those numbers.). So to win and move to the next level you need the most wins and your total accrued points including starting amount breaks any ties. In the upper levels (I am still stuck on the 3rd), it gets pretty difficult just to win, much less have enough points. You pretty much have to place fairly high in one tourney and then lose maybe one game in the next.

That is probably more explanation than you need, but there you go. :)

That’s very cool. It makes each game feel very important, even if at the time you know you’re not going to win a particular tournament. I think it’s a clever idea. Thanks for the explanation! I was assuming that the scoring worked that way.

It is the kind of simple game that has little depth and bores many after no time at all, but for the few that it hooks there is no hope. I can play an hour or two after the house has gone to bed and never advance to the 4th level (Which I have yet to do). When I am done, I feel like I have been slamming my head against a brick wall the entire time. Yet, I still go back to it.

It definitely has that “bad relationship” feel to it.

I’m hoping we’ll see a card/rule expansion pack and an art upgrade.

The website had proclaimed a MP version ready for imminent release. Then delayed…now dead silence. Who knows what is going on with it.

We should invite someone from over there to visit us at QT3.

I’ll take a look and see if there’s anyone we can write to.

That would be great! Thanks, Andrew.

Is “Major League” the 4th level? I just got there. But maybe it’s just the 3rd level.

I sent an invite, along with a link to this thread.

Let’s see what happens…

Is “Major League” the 4th level? I just got there. But maybe it’s just the 3rd level.[/quote]

I am going to pretend like it is just the 3rd for the sake of my pride. “Major League” does not sound familiar though. Grrrrr.

tee hee! :?

I am more than likely the only semi-intelligent person alive still wasting time on this, but Avault has an updated download for the “online play” version. I will probably try it out tonight if anyone is interested.

I’ve already purchased the full version, so I want to make sure that I can still use that for the online version.

Got a link?

Found it:

http://www.astraltournament.com/files/atpatch.exe

That’s the update…

I’ll see you guys online!

Thanks Tyjenks.
I still play fairly often and my cousin’s kids think I’m almost intelligent. :)