Astro Boy

I just got back from seeing this with my 5 year old son. I thought it was remarkably well done for an animated kids’ movie, and I was pleasantly surprised that having Nicholas Cage as one of the voice actors did not ruin the film (probably because his speaking parts were fairly minimal).

I’m not at all familiar with the source material, so I’m sure this film doesn’t do it justice, the british version is better, they ruined the book, worst. episode. ever. etc.

But: compared to “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,” which I saw with my 8 year old daughter last week, this was a far better film in my opinion: both for the kids in the audience and their parents. I would even recommend it to adults without children: it certainly isn’t as good as The Iron Giant but it’s worth watching on its own merits (rather than just to be a good parent).

Seconded! Watched it over the weekend, more out of historic curiosity rather than anything else, and it was a very pleasant surprise. I’m vaguely familiar with the old anime, which was one of the first animated shows produced in Japan, if I’m not mistaken. It was a commercial movie, to be sure, but it was very well done.

While its not quite in the neighborhood of The Iron Giant, Astro Boy did pull my emotions in pretty much the same directions, just not quite as far. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I don’t get this joke. To me, it’s like saying that Madagascar 2 was better than Wall-E.

It was originally a manga done by Osamu Tezuka, who is to Japanese manga what Walt Disney is to American animation. In that sense, the idea of a 3D animated American Astro Boy film seems really weird to me. Sort of like that modern remake of Hitchcock’s Psycho, or if the French announced that they were going to film a live-action remake of Bambi. It’s interesting to hear that you guys liked it, though. I’d be curious to hear comments from someone familiar with the source material, though.