Astronarch - Just set it and forget it. Indie Auto-battler Roguelike by Dale Turner

Congrats! And the corruption 20 penalty was mentioned upthread as well

Oh OK, I only read upthread enough to know that the game sounded cool. I’m one of those people who doesn’t like to know too much before I experience it.

Yah God Breaker with maxed out haste trinket is win. Congrats, I’m just taking this on this morning!

Beat corruption 20, yay. I came late to the party on the Druid, but it’s actually really good. I used Druid, Warlock, Assassin, Frost Mage. Got decent items on my druid, and the rest was actually pretty easy. Started with Druid/Assassin, then added Warlock, and lastly Mage. Was a really smooth curve, and didn’t really have any problems at any point.

Now I need to play more of those characters I never touch and figure out how to use them lol.

Yea Druid is the best tank. It took me till Corruption 20 to realize it as well. Congrats on Corruption 20!

I was just doing a Corruption 0 run to decompress and mess around with some characters I hadn’t used much, in this case the Bard. This was a crazy run with basically perfect items for the Druid/Pyro/Bard, average items on the Bloodmage and items so terrible on the Fiend that he might as well have been equipped with nothing. But I love the Fiend cause you can invest nothing in him and he’s still useful.

The last boss is supposed to pop off his special every 10% HP he lost but he only got to go off three times cause the hits were so brutal from the Pyro.

I was definitely sleeping on the front row Bard.

Fiend is incredibly useful, especially with that 6.5 second immunity armor on him. It gives your party a ton of time to DPS before your “real” tank takes over, and it’s fantastic that his death doesn’t count towards moral loss AND he buffs you warlock if you have one. He also gives your Druid time to get his shield going etc if you go that route.

I’m also doing some lower corruption runs, to try and experiment with different characters. I have such a hard time getting away from warlock and assassin especially lol.

Welp, after much goofing around, and 50some hours, this is my final all star lineup.

I did corruption 19 because I wanted a 5 party, ended up with 25 flawless victories, and only 2 defeats. This team is pretty bulletproof. Silence and slow against casters is very very handy.

Just finished a Corruption 11 run (Nuclear Pyro DPS) after being away from the game for 3 or 4 days. I didn’t actually expect to win because I started an existing run from 4 days ago and was half ready to just quit and start over fresh, since I couldn’t remember what my plan was for the party. Well, I took a half-assed glance at my gear and just went ahead anyway.

I don’t have a go-to party setup, as I like to mix it up as much as possible every single run, but because healing has always been such a freaking staple for my party I’m finding myself rather partial to a fully upgraded Cleric. As I mentioned in my last post, Druid is also a great tank, so I’ll utilize that a bunch too, especially if I put Fiend in my party. if I don’t have Fiend I’ll use paladin as primary tank and Druid as off-tank.

I also try to get and max out as much negate gear as I can. It doesn’t help much with alpha strike stuff but it throttles DOTs, much to my satisfaction.

On my last run I had 2 fully upgraded Stun hammers on my Assassin and that was quite effective for the run.

Just did a purist run for the achieve (don’t upgrade any abilities), also didn’t use any potions, and did the run under 30 minutes. The no upgrade abilities thing has really changed my thinking on how to approach this game. In many cases, that huge extra cash, and upgrading your items, has much more of an effect on the game if you just build everything for auto attack.

You guys are badasses.

I have found it so far to approach team comps like in DotA or LoL. You got your tanks, your supports, and your carries. If something doesn’t slot in some multiplicative manner in one of those roles, it’s disposable and/or skippable.

It’s exactly that really, also pretty much a 5 man dungeon team lol. That could just be my 20+ years of MMOs though …

OOOOkkkk. As suspected, and now confirmed. Abilities are crap, you’re much better off investing the money gained from orbs into items. Here is the ridiculous proof.

Corruption 19, zero ability upgrades, zero defeats. I’ve always been really unimpressed with how most of the abilities scaled, but I kept at it because it was one of the core mechanics of the game. It’s certainly possible to win corruption 20 with upgrading abilities, but the game is so much easier if you just ignore them completely and upgrade items instead, to the point I’d argue it’s broken. Just build your DPS as auto attackers, focus on speed and attack, voila.

Interesting. You ought to post that on the steam forums

Pretty major update this morning. 30 new items and a new hero. The new hero is pretty sweet and the items add some new interesting possibilities.

Having a weird time linking it for some reason but one of the patch notes is that Orbs only sell for 60 now instead of 100, which does make it a more significant choice.

Not surprised they changed that, it was pretty OP.

There are some interesting shenanigans you can get up to with the new class, and the new items. There is one item in particular, in combination with an older item that makes the Warlock just insanely overpowered. I actually like that in games so…fun stuff :P

Yea I beat Corruption 20 with the Fallen a couple times this morning he actually seems quite powerful.

Lots of fun new items. Some of the least useful ones got buffs as well. A few items still seem pretty meh but I can see a use for most of them. It’s a pretty significant update to the game.

Druid and Warlock are the two best heroes from the sense of if I had to win, those would be non-negotiable. The rest would depend on drops. If I had to lose but try my best I’d pick Illusionist because boy does that guy make the game more difficult.

There are a ton of classes like that to me, maybe I’m just doing it wrong or not gearing them correctly. Bard would be a great example…for me, that character just sucks. Starting with 25/25 defense/offense is…kind of silly.

It’s really hard for me to get away from Druid, Paladin, Warlock, Assassin, Frostmancer… That combo is so good, that subbing any one of them out, just feels like making the game harder on purpose.

This is on sale for $7.50 right now, and I’ve been interested in it for a while so I’m considering it. I have two questions:

First, there are a few reviews with 25+ hours that say some variation of, “easy to beat if you pick the right combination of characters. That’s a major problem, as more than half of characters are very useless,” which is a direct quote. Is this a fair criticism (that many characters/skills are useless)? I see see kvetching about the bard and maybe illusionist above, so it makes me think yes.

Second, how non-interactive is this? I thought Loop Hero might be a good game to play on the exercise bike, but that game just requires way too much interaction for something like that, like every few seconds. An idle game it is not.

This hits the sweet spot for interactiveness, IMO. Yes it’s very much “set up your dudes and watch them fight” in the actual battles, but a) you do have consumables to fire and such and b) there’s some good decision-making between battles.

As for the character balance stuff, IMO it’s pretty good. Yes there are some combinations that work well right off the bat, but there’s enough variance in the challenges and strategies that I have a hard time seeing anyone not getting their money’s worth out of it before exhausting the possibilities.

A lot of the fun is in adapting whomever you brought to the items you roll as you go. In that way it’s similar to the Slay the Spires of the world, where one run with a group may end up feeling quite different than another depending on how things go.

I would just say “explore the characters and combinations yourself rather than looking up discussions on ‘best parties’” or whatever. That’s the fun of the game. It’s deterministic enough that just looking up the easiest path and doing that won’t be terribly enjoyable IMO.

Thanks, I’ll probably pick this one up, then. Lord knows I don’t have enough games to play!

There is a lot of fun to be had if you do this. It’s easily worth the price, especially on sale. I’d guess you’ll get a good solid 25 hours or so out of it.

Steam says I put in 26. Certainly enjoyed my time with it. Didn’t go crazy and 100% everything, but definitely got into the tougher difficulties and felt like I got what I wanted out of it.