Astroneer - survive, explore and build in a low-poly galaxy

Looking at their roadmap, it will be a summer 2018 release of 1.0.

Bleh. I actually love that the game is so relaxing because nothing is trying to bite your face off (a few puffs of acid is the most you have to worry about). Not sure I’m looking forward to more aggressive flora and fauna.

Apart from that, this game is awesome. We all play and enjoy it chez Wendelius. The cross platform play is a nice added bonus.

It does bill itself as a survival game and there’s really not very many challenges to speak of. Sure, you can fall or suffocate or get whacked by a rock during a storm but it’s easy to avoid these dangers. I think the game needs a dose of aggression and tension because it gets rather stale once you learn all the techs and discover everything. There isn’t really any base building to speak of either unless you include shaping colored dirt in that arena.

I’d like to see more creepy aliens come at you at night but also have the ability to build up defenses to keep them at bay. Something else to do other than grind resources for bytes…

That’s fair. Mind you, you can make up your own challenges. Like not reading that the ore in front of you is the element you need right now and just running past it. ;)

The one thing I fear is it turning into yet another identikit survival experience. I do like that it feels different.

We were glad to see you revisit the game as your videos from a year ago are those that initially prompted me to get it (when we watched them a couple of weeks ago).

Oh sure, I agree the game is what you make of it but it still seems to be missing the mark with tension. Doesn’t have to be hardcore survival, just a few more things to keep you on your toes and more reasons and things to build, like base defenses.

Since you watch my videos (thanks!) then you know I’m pretty good at making up my own challenges. In fact, I often go out of my way to create dramatic sequences by taking unnecessary (foolish!) risks just to ratchet up a notch.

The base building update has dropped. It looks really cool:

Expect lots of boxes on the floor if you open an existing world.

Love the look of the 3d printer and the fact that we can now rearrange the layout of our bases to our heart’s content.

This is looking good! Can’t wait for it to come out of EA so I can break my self-imposed boycott of it.

Rover time!

1.0 has been announced as a December 2018 release:

I am guessing that the game is almost done except for a few minor content and balancing pieces. So how is the game so far? Any recommendations?

Loved it when I first played, but there wasn’t a ton to do. Think they’ve added a lot since then. Really should give it a go again. If the thought of a relatively low-stress survival game with a lot of collection and exploration on procedurally generated worlds sounds good to you, it is definitely worth a look.

I feel like I should get into this again.

Wait. What? Yes Battletech? No no. I was just kidding.

Gotta go.

.90 went live in July.

This will be the final early access update before 1.0!

As a gift to everyone who supported us throughout development, a new suit has been added to the game! This “Retro” suit is exclusively for Early Access players of Astroneer as a thanks for your ideas, bug reports, feedback, and encouragement. Anyone who owns the game before 1.0 will receive the “Retro” suit, and we have no plans for making it available to post 1.0 players. Thanks so much for your support thus far!

Roadmap has post 1.0 goals:

General consensus on the product at this time is…?

Is this more like No Man’s Sky - exploration as the main pull? Or is there more to building / challenges / story (?) side of the game?

I haven’t fired it up in several months, but it was always fun when I did. Every (very regular) update added to and polished the framework that was there.

In the last certain I played there was NO story. It’s completely a sandbox. I don’t think they have any lands on adding one, either.

My impression is that it’s not so much a Kerbal Space Program or Minecraft but more like a colony-building game. Is that accurate?