Astrophotography

And a couple of recent photo projects, as long as the thread has been bumped.
This is the Pelican Nebula, shot using a “duo-band” filter that lets through only the light from ionized Hydrogen (picked up mostly by the red pixels in the color camera) and ionized Oxygen (picked up by the green and blue pixels). These filters are the cheapskate’s / lazy-person’s version of using a monochrome camera and separate narrowband filters. Even though the hydrogen glows in red, people mix up the color mapping all the time (the “Hubble pallete” Sulphur=red, Hydrogen=green, Oxygen=blue), so here’s the color mapping that I just thought looked most dramatic:

And here is the Iris Nebula. I shot this an hour out of town, where there is way less light pollution. The dark dust is especially hard to pick up in polluted skies. I framed it to also include the Ghost Nebula (left side), but I need to get back down there to get more time to bring the Ghost out better.

Thanks, and amazing pics. I saved the bottom one and will use it as my phone background for awhile (not asking permission! :) I understand the reality vs Hubble / internet pictures for, well everything, and I’m ok with it.

Hmm, maybe the short focal length of my scope will actually work with Andromeda, with a longer eyepiece… it says lowest useful magnification is 19X. Something to research more.

so I’ve found my 20mm, which has 15x on my scope, pretty good for tracking things in the sky and finding targets. 19x would also probably work well enough.

@Editer This is the existing astro thread.

For “deep-space objects” (DSOs) the technique is to capture a large number of fairly short - or fairly long, depending on how you look at it :) - exposures, then combine (“stack”) them into a final image. The idea is that signal you want is very faint and there is a lot of noise. The noise is random, while the signal should stay put, so stacking is an effective way to amplify the signal while dispersing the noise. Even then, the signal is usually still quite faint. “Post-processing” is the art of doing non-linear “stretching” of the image to produce the images you see in this thread.

Quick synopsis of a couple of ways to approach starting astrophotography:

Star tracker + dslr (or mirrorless, whatever you have) + intervalometer. This is a pretty cheap entry point. You can get started even with a kit lens, but, like everything else, a higher quality lens is better up to a point. I have never used a tracker. You will need to become familiar with getting the ‘RA’ (Right Ascension) axis lined up with the North Celestial Pole. Once you do an OK job with that, the tracker’s motor on the RA axis keeps your target pretty well centered and you should be able to collect many ~1-minute exposures. You want to stick to lenses roughly in the 100-400mm range. The longer ones will be more challenging both in terms of tracking and overall image quality (terrestrial lenses are a different beast from telescopes). There are a couple of really well-regarded lenses (Rokinon 135mm f/2, for example).

Star trackers can also be used for very small telescopes, but most people I know who started that way eventually move to a full equatorial mount.

I started with a small-capacity, computer controllable mount that cost ~$1000 new (I’ve moved up - it’s for sale!), a 60mm f/6 doublet “apochromatic” refractor. Telescopes are named differently than lenses - the diameter is specified. That scope’s focal length is 360mm (it’s for sale, too!). A larger telescope is more interesting when you put an eyepiece in to have a look (though it is actually quite a nice widefield scope, just don’t expect closeup views of Jupiter. You can see Saturn’s rings, but the planet is quiet small in the eyepiece), but larger scopes are much harder to learn astrophotography. There’s a lot about astrophotography that seem counterintuitive at first.

I started with the old Canon T5i we already had. I moved past the intervalometer stage fairly quickly and moved to a setup I can control with a laptop (actually I mount a pi on the tripod that controls everything about the photography, I log into it from a laptop.

My current setup is:
A larger mount in the same product series as my starting mount
A triplet (better color control) refractor, basically the same specs otherwise as what I started with
A 2nd scope - a 6" Ritchey-Chretien design reflector that I’m still getting all set up for imaging
A cooled-sensor camera. Much smaller sensor than the dslr.

Here’s one more image, this with all the starting gear:

The Heart Nebula. I used a filter that only passes light very near the emission lines of Hydrogen and Oxygen. Cuts way way way down on light pollution problems, but you can’t use it on things like galaxies or star clusters.

Below is my first attempt with the 6" scope. Just barely getting started, I need several more hours. It is the Crab Nebula.

I’ve been having fun with the 6" RC scope during “galaxy season” (the time of year when night-time earth points away from most of the Milky Way). Each of my images has a main target, but I’ve been having a ton of fun finding basic information about the little faint smudges that is each the image of a galaxy remarkably far away, considering I took its picture from my suburban backyard.

The farthest away? No contest - a quasar. Not just any quasar, either. This one shows up twice in the same image. It was the first real example of gravitational lensing confirmed (in about 1979, I think). The two little dots are the same object, both images were bent around a super-massive galaxy that sits right in our line of sight. The quasar itself is something like 8 billion light years away:

edit: the quasar didn’t show up well after Discourse compressed it, so here’s a closeup:
twin quasar closeup

The 2nd image’s main target is called M109. It is about 83 million light years away. The 3 largest other galaxies highlighted are “companion” galaxies, like the Magellanic Clouds with the Milky Way. The other ~50 galaxies are anywhere from a couple of million to over 2 billion light years away.

Last one for today is a large spiral galaxy that we see edge-on, nicknamed the “Needle Galaxy”. I haven’t annotated other objects visible in the frame yet, but I think it looks cool so here it is.

@gruntled any recent photos, gear changes, or stories? I refer back often to this thread and your posts for information and inspiration by the way! A year later and I’m still enjoying the visual side of the hobby. My Celestron Starsense Explorer DX 130 is excellent, allowing me to view multiple objects in a night. Funny how it’s all just grey smudges in visual, but it doesn’t bother me too much, still like it!

Cool! I totally get the difference between taking a highly stretched photo and seeing it in an eyepiece. I enjoy visual astronomy quite a lot as well. Photography is easier from my light polluted sky at home, but my local club has occasional observing sessions at their observatory out in the sticks.

New stuff: M27 (the Dumbell Nebula) is a “planetary nebula” that looks good in almost any size telescope - you can even find it fairly easily with binoculars. Here it is with the 6" RC:

I had a run where clear nights also had full moon, so I have a bunch of portraits of globular clusters. Here’s M13, another wonderful visual object:

I’ll try to get back to posting photos every once in a while - I wasn’t sure if anyone noticed the last batch. Thanks for the encouragement!

Awesome! Your photo really brings out the alternative name; Apple Core Nebula. I found it the other day.

I just checked and m13 is quite high tonight and I plan on setting up, so I’ll take a look. Also in case not aware, Stellarium app for Android now has a favorites list that makes it even easier to plan a a night.

@gruntled what do you think of the new generation of more affordable mounts coming out? Smaller payloads but maybe that matters less in the newer era of ever-higher quality cameras that are allowing smaller scopes. Good features like wi-fi.

Sky-watcher Star Adventurer, about $740 USD. Star Adventurer GTi — Sky-Watcher

iOptron SkyHunter SkyHunter<sup>TM</sup> Portable EQ/AZ GOTO System with iPolar

I’m just mulling over next steps in hobby for Fall 22. Maybe later years as it’s expensive and more about the time I have available - kids short attention span so it’s mostly for me ;).

Love your pics. I know that I could just look at yours or Hubble or whatever but there’s something more real about it doing it yourself. I’m in Bortle 5/6 borderline at edge of big City. How’s the 6"RC?

How do you take the photos? Is there some special attachment to hook up a camera to the telescope?

Yep… Some use a DSLR with adapter, good to start with, eventually most get a dedicated camera. Starting research is a rabbit hole like all good hobbies.

Yes. If you have a dslr/mirrorless camera you can buy an adapter for your particular lens mount system. On the telescope side it will either have telescope-standard threads or just a tube to clamp into the eyepiece holder.

A consumer camera is fine for some types of objects, like star clusters and galaxies, and if you already own one it is a great way to start. What you will miss is the ability to capture the really deep red color emitted by ionized hydrogen gas (like in the Heart Nebula image several posts up this thread). ‘Normal’ cameras filter out those deep reds.

I haven’t followed either of those mounts, so I looked up threads about them on CloudyNights. Opinions do not seem to be running very high.

If the manufacturers get the bugs ironed out they might make a nice option for a very lightweight setup - just a dslr with a nice lens or a very small refractor telescope.

One thing you could do is see if there is an astronomy club in your city, and join. Not only will you get access to a lot of good advice, probably from time to time someone will be selling off their beginning mount as they move up.

I don’t have a fancy telescope, but here’s a picture of the moon from tonight.

Beautiful.

Nice!
Is that with a cell phone through an eyepiece, or a camera at the telescope focal point?

I used my D3400 with a cheap Rokinon 650mm-1300mm zoom lens, actually. Some day I’m hoping to have a really nice telescope.

Well done!

Thanks!

I finally bought a wide lens so I’ve been trying to take some shots of the Milky Way here. My area has some pretty shitty light pollution on all horizons unfortunately, but this is what I’ve been able to come up with. I still kind of suck at the stacking and post-processing aspect, but I’m working on it.