Atari, This Price Cut Thing, Actually True?

Feargus Urquhart - CEO, Obsidian Entertainment:

On the subject of the DM client I did want to say a couple of things:

1) We at Obsidian know the importance of the DM client as it relates to the running of PWs. We want PWs to exist for NWN2, so we need to support the DM client.

2) We are going to be talking over the next couple of weeks to see what we will have at launch and when we will have a more final roadmap when it comes to the complete DM Client.

I do apologize for this being the way the information got to all of you about the DM Client, it's not what we intended. I was planning to have us make an announcement in the next few weeks about it, after we had gotten some more of our planning done.

More : Not to repeat what I said in the other topic about this, but I did want to say here that we understand the necessity and the need for a DM Client. However, as of tonight, we do not have a specific plan as to what of the DM Client we can provide in the box at ship and what will be provided as a patch.

To be clear, since things can be interpreted many different ways, there will be a DM Client for NWN2. We want it to have all the functionality as the current NWN1. I say want in that sentence, because I'm at E3, it's almost 11pm and I hadn't planned on talking about it today.

We are going to be putting plans together in the next couple of weeks having to do with the DM Client. When we have those plans we will explain them in detail to everyone. Please don't think that means one of the plans is that there will be no DM Client - it doesn't mean that at all.

All that I can ask at this point is to please bear with us.

There will be a DM client, but as of tonight we can not tell you what of it, if any, will be in the box and what will be a patch.

Again, there will be a DM client for NWN2.

I'm really not sure how to be anymore clear than that.

What it means is that some multiplayer aspects will have to wait a bit longer, like the Pitboss in cIV. A bummer but not a loss ultimately.

Honestly if Atari goes belly up, then someone else will jump at the opportunity to publish NWN2. Most likely what will happen is that Atari might share more of the costs and returns with BioWare if need be. But the chance of NWN2 not getting released is minimal. The nature of NWN2 and the opportunity of digitally distributed content will keep it monitarily feasible to patch. Whether it will be a rushed and buggy mess at release is another question.

Yeah 'cause Motor City did so well…

Test drive is crossplatform while NWN2 is PC-only. Of course the console title ranks higher, it has a larger audience.

Of course that’s what interplay thought too.

RE: NWN2

Sounds to me that Atari has set a definate ship date for NWN2 and Obsidian knows they won’t be done with everything by that date. So, they’ve sacrificed the DM part (temporarily) in favor of having a complete SP game.

Not that it matters - NWN is all about the SP for me.

Can anyone confirm that Dragonshard will be part of this price drop on June 1?

I’ve been wanting and watching this for a while, but I’m largely a bargain shopper and haven’t seen even as much as a decent sale on it. A sharp drop from $50 to $20 would definitely be enough to get it in my hands though…

Yeah but so was KOTOR 2 (to pick an Obsidian title) and Temple of Elemental Evil (to pick an Atari title). I’m very much looking forward to NWN 2 but I’d be lying if I said I was confident that the game wasn’t going to be hurt to make a launch date.

Feargus Urquhart - CEO, Obsidian Entertainment:

Sorry Feargus, but Obsidian has no track record I am aware of for good post-launch support, and that combined with Atari’s troubles means I have no faith in getting a DM client in NWN2, much less supporting the community 1/10th as much as Bioware has. Therefore my $$ stays in my pocket until you prove your commitment.

According to the official release posted on Atari’s catalog site, only Dungeons and Dragons Online is exempt for the $20 price point. Since Dragonshard is in the current PC catalog, that means on June 1st it’ll be $20.

Unfortunately for Atari, damn near every game in that PC catalog is ALREADY selling for $20 or less. Some, like ToEE and Demonstone for example, are at the $10 price point in bargain bins at many retailers, and I’ve seen Enter the Matrix, MOO 3 and Horizons for as little as $5. I think the only real deals come June 1st will be Dragonshard, NWN Diamond (worth it if you don’t own anything but the original NWN) and RCT3 (if you’re into the RCT games). Otherwise, it’s just a big advertisement for shovelware.

Do you guys know if getting ups collector’s edition is going to be 20$ as well? I might just grab the collector’s edition at one point if it goes down that far.

Dunno if Target jumped the gun or is just looking to clear shelf space but I picked up Dragonshard tonight for $13.

I saw that as well. They had like 20 of them at my local target. Some were $13 yet others were 9.98. Wonder if someone got lazy or careless.

Interestingly, DDO is selling for $19.90 this weekend at gogamer.com as part of one of their 48 hour madness sales. I just picked up a few copies, two for friends so I can play with them instead of crapshooting for fun players.

Civ4 still doesn’t have the pitboss thing, as far as I know. I’m sure it would have been bruited about on the forum where I mod for that game if it were out.

So… hopefully they manage better than the Fiery Axis of Evil Mistruths.

It’s been out for a month now, as has the SDK.

Troy

I know about the SDK (which is a GODSEND) but does Pitboss actually work? I hear a lot of whining about multiplayer.

Not sure if it works perfectly, but it is out - which is what you referred to.

Troy

Sorry Feargus, but Obsidian has no track record I am aware of for good post-launch support, and that combined with Atari’s troubles means I have no faith in getting a DM client in NWN2, much less supporting the community 1/10th as much as Bioware has. Therefore my $$ stays in my pocket until you prove your commitment.

They do if you count Obsidian as Black Isle II. IIRC BI released a free expansion for IWD2 titled Trials of the Loremaster while Interplay was in their death spiral, not unlike what Atari is going through now.