Atari wants in on the throwback console fad

Really? Kinda cool actually. The Atari logo featured prominently in the first Blade Runner. In 1982 that probably seemed like a sure thing…

See also TDK.

And Pan Am!

I created the DPC chip because the poor old 2600 had lasted years past the lifespan anyone had ever hoped for it. And if we were going to keep making games for the system it needed a bit of a facelift. Sadly, after Pitfall II, sales of 2600 games finally fell below the point where a game could be made profitably. It would have been fun to see what else we could have done with the technology.

More details announced.

$250? DOA

I’m amused that they are giving tech specs for a machine which is emulating games that originally played on a console less powerful than my watch.

Ah, so it is a Flashback + an Ouya, but the Ouya has twitch and twitter clients.

Doing a heckuva job there, Atari.

Sounds more like a Shield, but with a much weaker company backing it. Might be able to turn it into a Steambox though.

I’ll be surprised if they hit their crowdfunding goal. Does this thing not launch if they don’t? I mean… who is the market for this? Not seeing it.

Nah, it’s cool, guys. They’re banking on selling to the people who were willing to buy the NES Classic from scalpers. They should have no problems getting this thing out there.

NES fans are like a thousand times more devoted than Atari fans, I think.

782 times more devoted, actually, according to a recent study.

I am so not clicking on that link.

Excellent!

Was just going to post about this. Who the heck do they think the market for this thing is?

Easily amused androids?

Crowdfunding campaign is live. Early bird pricing of $200 for the all black and $300 for the limited edition woody. The specs make this out to be their take on a low-end Steam Machine with a custom Ubuntu-based OS.