ATI CrossFire and triple monitors: any caveats?

ah, curiouser and curiouser.

This crossfire config works in

• Richard Burns Rally
  • Dead Island
  • Red Faction: Guerrilla
  • AVP2
  • Portal
  • Left 4 Dead

but does the “immediate exit to desktop” thing in

• BF3 (when alt-tab to full screen)
  • BF:BC2 (when entering a singleplayer mission)
  • Just Cause
  • Shift 2 unleashed

… still experimenting, but … wtf?

I did reinstall the latest video drivers, and I believe everything is installed correctly; 1 crossfire bridge between the cards, 4 power connectors (2 for each card).

Did you uninstall all the ATI drivers then use drivesweeper to get rid of any left over registry entries? That’s what I have to do every time I want to upgrade my drivers. I’m running 2 5770’s with a dual monitors and have no crashes. A few oddball things happen especially with some GOG games. I do get CTD’s when I don’t do the above.

CrossFire: a huge waste of time.

I tried the latest beta drivers Lloyd recommended, same issues. It seems game-specific for me, not sure what I’m doing wrong… I’ll try Demorve’s suggestion to clean uninstall the driver.

Eeep!

Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer.

Guess I’ll just do an uninstall/reinstall, then.

edit: unfortunately, no change… this is so very strange. I guess Crossfire doesn’t “just work” like I had hoped :(

I’ll switch to the other card as my primary for a bit to make sure it isn’t busted in some way.

So any EA games won’t work.

Driver Sweeper still exists, just without the Guru3D co-branding.

Ah thanks for that Douglas. That definitely wiped all drivers, then I reinstalled the latest beta ATI drivers. Same immediate CTD issue.

Oddly as Eric pointed out, it DOES seem to be EA specific – I was able to launch and play “Big Score Pinball” on Steam in addition to the above all non-ea games too. I wonder WTF I am doing wrong? Worked perfectly with single card!

Battlefield 3 works fine in windowed mode… it’s only when I go fullscreen that it does the “immediate exit” thing.

Did you install the CAPs?

Maybe try it after disabling your other monitors, could be a multi monitor bug.

rei: what are “the CAPs”? edit, ah you mean these http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx – have tried those before, will try again with the new clean driver install.

Quaro: this was with only one monitor enabled in every case :(

I’m gonna try reversing the primary/secondary of the cards. They do have slightly different clock speeds and I kinda wonder if they sync to the primary?

urgh, reversing primary and secondary card did nothing – same exact immediate “exit to desktop” behavior in EA games.

Why does EA hate ATI Crossfire so much?

You could try running it as: “-window -noborder” which is essentially fullscreen but easier alt tabbing. I don’t know how big the performance hit is though.

Caveat – I did get NFS: Shift 2 and Battlefield 2: Bad Company to work very reliably (and fast!) after

• swapping the primary (very slightly faster) and secondary cards, so now the primary is the slower not faster one

• doing a clean driver remove

• installing the latest beta drivers

• installing the latest crossfire application profiles

I cannot get BF3 beta to survive going fullscreen though – it starts in windowed mode just fine, but exits to desktop every time when I press LALT+ENTER.

(Just Cause 2 is also still failing to start, but maybe that’s my screwup somehow. EDIT: indeed it was… doing a steam “repair” fixed that.).

So… progress… I guess I’ll just have to pray that Battlefield 3 final allows the game to stay fullscreen without going windowed.

urgh. Although crossfire works great in BF2:BC now, some issues:

Seeing graphical square pattern glitches in play over time, maybe too much heat build up?

Also seen some desync issues where something is going screwy with the “which card is doing the work”, that is, giant horizontal lines that oscillate on the screen.

Man, this crossfire stuff is … not working well for me. Ah well, $200 experiment over, I guess. I did enjoy my brief sojourn in the land of 4xAA at max res, max settings though…

Even if I leave the side of my case off, which helps with the card overheating (my build is optimized for low noise, but works great with a 4.4 Ghz i7-2600k and single 5780)… I still get semi-frequent crossfire desync in the game.

Looks a bit like this:

Does crossfire work reliably for other… human beings? Unless I am screwing up here (always an option) I don’t get how anyone would want crossfire… it is great when it works, but that’s not nearly often enough!

I’ve never had any issues with my two 6970s. Don’t know if I’ve tried any EA games, though.

is there a chance you got a bum card from ebay?

Yeah, at this point, that’s my guess too. A slightly bum card, enough to screw up crossfire.

Just for grins, try downclocking your CPU.

“slightly” bum?

Case: CPU is definitely overclocked to 4.4 GHz under load… just confirmed again. You think that’d cause problems with crossfire? This system has been a ROCK for the last few months, no instability whatsoever with the single 5780!

I went ahead and reverted to a single 5780, I overclocked it a bit to compensate for my loss of e-peen in this matter.

Need new video cards to come out, maaaaan!