Atomic Blonde: No Spoiler In Thread Title for Tom

Ah, yeah. That would make sense. I don’t follow who the people are too closely, so had never heard of him.

Yeah I thought about that, but then I realise no woman with Theron’s physique can realistically pull that off. If that were Gina Carano, then I can buy that. Carano showed a lot of physicality in Haywire and I completely buy that.

Well, here’s where I put in another recommendation for the lovely little Amy Johnston and crew in Lady Bloodfight.

Carano looks great, and she’s got a kind of cold charm, but she’s just so wooden. :(

-Tom

I haven’t seen her act, but that comment makes me sad. But then this cheered me up.
http://images.wildammo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/gina-carano-dance.gif

I may have to eventually see that.

But going back to Atomic Blonde, Lorraine were supposed to fight KGB guys. That would be Putin in his late 30s, with judo black belt, that kind of KGB (Putin was in East Berlin when the wall fell, how about that…). I highly doubt she could come out of a physical fight with those kind of KGB guys with just a few bruises.

The final sequence I find it more convincing, because she caught them by complete surprise.

Because she’s not a double agent, she’s a triple agent who actually works for the CIA. And Spyglass knows this, and has no reason to particularly care whether the agent extracting him is MI6 or CIA. He does include that information in the list, though, so Percival figures this out and tells the Russians. Incidentally, this explains why she knows this watchmaker and trusts him enough to get another contact through him - he’s CIA…

This is streaming on HBO Go, so I finally caught it. Loved the style, the music, a good bit of the action (especially the apartment building)…was a bit iffier on the plotting and felt the ending was somewhat overindulgent. One thing I really appreciated? That it was aware of the damage getting into these sorts of brawls does to the body and actually reflected and kept track of that, particularly in that glorious exhausted punchup towards the very end of the apartment building sequence. I’m not calling it realistic - that might be too much credit. But it’s at least not “hero gets stabbed fifteen times in the gut, three hours later is running around with a couple bandages on and zero compromise in effectiveness” like you see in so many action movies.

Yeah, I love movies like Chinatown when the protagonist suffers an injury and it stays with them for a bit during the movie. That would be a pretty good 3x3 actually, 'best sustained injuries".

Not only is this take place at the end of the 80s, it felt like an 80s movie.

1. Gratuitous sex scene (glad to see we are still making these!)
  2. Spy movie cliches everywhere. They stole the “fake local staff pick up agent at the airport” right from Dr. No.

And the music, the real star of the show. Without all the synth pop and 80s tracks, this would have been an ok movie. With some simple colored key lighting and a good sound track it was much more enjoyable.

Agreed that the trailers were rubbish fir conveying tone. I loved the fight scenes in this. As someone who has boxed and wrestled a fair bit, this is the part of fighting that movies always miss, how freaking tired and worn out fightng makes you. It’s like doing max reps at every machine at the gym and realizing you have muscles you never use complaining. Especially your back.