Atomicrops - plow, plant, and pow on a farm

That’s a great question. It looks like they’ve been replaced with this:

Previously was this:

I often die now because I don’t buy a new gun between days in town. Because they’re giving me two shit choices, and my gun that I like didn’t break, so I keep using it, but then I get to the boss, and I have to spend all night firing at the boss to finally kill him, which results in me taking lots of damage in the Fall. So when winter rolls around, I die pretty quick. I don’t know, it’s just all so strange now.

I guess I should always upgrade my gun, even if I don’t like them. Better than sticking with the gun I like that doesn’t do enough damage anymore.

I think the best way to play is always grab a new gun ifd it’s one that looks decent, unless you are fighting a boss and have something very approrpiate/strong.

From there, you should favor stat upgrades (or healing, for Crow) as circumstances dictate. I wouldn’t choose a gun I hated/had only a few upgrades just to get a stat I needed.

But this is a very weird sort of mechanic for a game that’s vaguely rogue-lite, and relies heavily on randomness. Because now instead of “here’s a gun, can you upgrade it and if so how much should you?”. There are guns that aren’t very good untul mostly upograded but then they can be very good. But you don’t have that option anymore. Guns breaking was always sort of an odd implementation of a pretty easy to understand mechanic. But at least you could get a strong economy and reap the benefits of that by upgrading a gun a lot (even if it’s one you aren’t crazy about).

Now it’s “here’s a gun with a random # of mods and a random stat boost”. Your economy is no longer as relevant (it still matters, but you can’t look at the squirrel gun/cleaver choice and say “well at least I can upgrade it to max or near max”, in a later season you could conceivably get that choice with only 2-3 mods on the gun. That’s awful for late game). Guns don’t break (a problem a lot of people hated and the dev decided to fix) but this actually works against you since “frequent” gun purchases now run up your stats significantly, and stats affect raw damage (and all sorts of farming stuff + pigeons). And note that those stat gains replace the ones you used to get from the end of season harvest rewards (and potentially then some). So you really have to go after them.

I think this is worse than the system we had before, and seems like an odd fit for what the game is doing otherwise.

I have different guns that I like for different biomes, so I’ll skip a round or two if I don’t like what I see, unless I’m feeling underpowered.

I still feel like Fighting is premium, so I have no problem skimping on farming stat, and I’m still prioritizing Fighting spouses.

The thing about Oregacrow is that it’s so dependent on build. It takes a ridiculous amount of water and fertilizer, which is kinda cool because it means the woodchipper and the water tractor are genuinely useful now. Same with the leech gun.

The downside is when you don’t get water and fertilizer items or animals, because then you’re really hitting a wall.

The items and cauldron upgrades that extend the days are also really important. Time is great for any character, but Oregacrow has a lot less time than Thyme, and it essentially has to do more things in terms of hunting for items and farming efficiently. It really pushes you, which is cool.

I suppose the “smart” way to play crow is to just skip the seed and pickaxe camps, and purely go for the item and animal camps. Crow doesn’t get trees from Tier 1 tree bosses, and having enough seeds hasn’t been a problem for me at any point.

Is that why they did it? Was guns breaking really that bad? I felt like it pushed me to farm and clear more, but I can see how it’s daunting at first.

I thought it worked. Especially because the difficulty progresses the way it does. I had the early years to learn the game, and then I kinda knew what I was doing towards the end, so while fighting and farming became more challenging, managing the economy wasn’t too difficult at that point.

There were vocal people - I won’t say how many, because I simply have no basis to do so - on the reddit and discord who hated it and complained about it a lot, as best I understand it. One of the original devs left to go do his own thing, I can’t say if that impacted the change or not.

I think it was an imperfect mechanic but it did work. There was a very tight balance between economics and upgrading/purchasing, with some quality “should I or shouldn’t I” decision making. Occasionally it was frustrating when several days in a row yielded poor weapon choices.

It’s crazy that I almost never have enough money to buy a new weapon.

Every time, it’s like, oh, I see, 1480 to buy that sweet weapon, but I only have 1260. Well, I’ll get it next day.

Next day the cheapest weapon is 2280, and I only have 1980. Oh man, I wish I could buy that. Well, I’ll have enough money next day.

Next day there’s a shitty weapon that I can afford, the good weapon is 400 more peanuts than I can afford.

Sigh.

Ok, I thought I’d lost this game forever to this latest update, but on a lark I started the Xbox version of the game yesterday, and it’s still on the previous update before everything was overhauled!

So I was able to buy guns and upgrade them, and kick ass. It was wonderful.

I’m hoping they forget about the Xbox version and never break it like they broke the PC version.

It’s not enough to break the game for me, the gameplay loop is still intact and it’s still great, but it’s definitely a bad fix for something I didn’t know was a problem.

I hope they go back and rethink it. It also annoys me that Rye is now a lot less useful. If people were having problems with guns breaking, you would tell 'em to play Rye.

Now he’s reduced to giving an extra mod, which is a total crapshoot. I assume that means he has room for one more mod, which means we can get an even more powerful gun in the late game, but it’s really not as good as it was before.

I played this for another hour or so last night on Xbox. So good! I really hope they keep this version at 1.4.

I wasn’t able to beat the Winter boss. In the Xbox version I’ve only unlocked Rye so far, and I haven’t ever beaten Winter yet. So I don’t have any of the bonuses you can start unlocking using the bonus thingies yet.

I hadn’t really paid attention to the Farming/Fighting Stats in the old version before they made them super important in the new version, but in the old version, every time you beat a boss, and go to the town mayor, a lot of the rewards you get for harvesting enough that season are increases to your stats. I wonder what Farming/Fighting stats used to do in the old version that’s on Xbox?

The changes are part of an update and not tied to the DLC? I haven’t played since it released.

That’s right, they completely overhauled the base game on PC. If you have an Xbox though, you’re all good! :) I’m betting it’s the same on Playstation.

Just to be clear, they overhauled the way you purchase weapons and how you gain fighting and farming stats.

You now gain fewer stats with your end of season bonuses, instead you have to keep buying weapons to get those stats.

Guns never break, and you can’t use cashews to upgrade weapons. Each weapon now has a set price and comes with a certain number of stats and upgrades, and those are rolled randomly, like when you’d purchase upgrades before, except now you can’t invest more cashews to buy more upgrades.

So it raises the floor for newer players, because the price is higher, and it puts a cap on more experienced players because they can’t invest a bunch of cashews to max out a gun. Fewer options for everybody.

There are still +stat objects in the world, and spouses haven’t changed, so fighting spouses give you fighting stats, and farming spouses give you farming stats.

Farming stat has been changed so it also controls how many pigeons you can hold at one time. It allows you to potentially hold more pigeons than before if you stack farming stat, but I haven’t had a playthrough where I needed to think about it.

So the game is mostly still intact, but they messed up how you buy and upgrade your guns. And poor Rye is now basically irrelevant.

So how does the economy tie into the weapon system now? One of the things I liked about the original/old version was how your farm was the ‘cashew’ engine for upgrading your arsenal and buying more seeds, scrolls, items etc. I’ve not played it since I finished it in 2020 but the ‘snowballing’ power element was a big part of the experience.

It still does.

But before your economy was also important for those end of the season rewards, which among other things prvoided you with stat boosts. The economy is still important for that, except the end of season no longer provides those stat boosts at all.

Now you get them from buying weapons.

Weapons spawn in town with 0-?5? mods (I don’t recall seeing six but I haven’t played in awhile, it’s certainly possible you can get more). The price is based on the # of mods/weapon and probably something tied into how far through the year you are. Late game, you’ll see stuff for thousands of cashews usually. At the start it’s more in line with what you would expect.

But each weapon also offers up some bonus, usually a + to fighting or farming (for some characters - Crow - you can get other stuff too). This is a permanent upgrade. So while weapons no longer break, you’ll need to swap weapons occasionally just to keep those stats going up (especially important for farming sicne max # of pigeon scrolls is now tied to farming stat).

But because you can score a nice find and possibly ride it for awhile, that means more cashews for other stuff. To a point. Like I said I think it still behooves one to swap weapons a good bit.

Of course if you get really lucky and get something you love in the 5 mod range, it means you can snowball for a spell. But eventually the power curve will flatten out and even dip (unless you are getting + combat stats from camps a lot).

Ah interesting, thanks for the explanation. I’ve been meaning to check it out for myself but you know how it is!

Boy, do I.

On the Xbox version last night I got the pea shooter achievement. God, that one is so much fun to get.

On PC I had a lot easier time getting the achievements for things like the cashews. I wonder how I did that. I think back then I hadn’t figured out that I should save all my scrolls for the final boss, so I used to use them within each run, which lead to a lot more cashews than after I figured that out.

I spent an unreasonable amount of time on this game in the past few days, repeating Day 1 over and over to try to get more achievements, but being unable to.

Completing a day without getting hit? Man, it’s just not going to happen, I think.

Same thing with getting 12 flower seeds that I’ll need to plant at the same time. It just makes it so you don’t use the sunflower seeds you have, waiting for more, which means you’re short on cashews, so you can’t get the 15,000 cashews achievement either. Grrrr.

Still, the Xbox version continues to be version 1.4 or whatever it was, before they changed the game completely on PC, and I’m still enjoying it a lot overall. I can’t get these achievements but I can keep trying.

It’s been a pretty good game to play while I wait for Elden Ring.

Yeah, it’s definitely one of my favourites in its niche.

I tried going back to the PC version. Ugh. So bad.

Back to the Xbox version it is! Woohoo! This game is so fun.

I finally got the achievement to get 15,000 cashews. I had to sacrifice that run to do it. I had over 12,000 cashews, because the last 5 rounds my gun didn’t break. But then the last day in Winter, the gun broke!!! Noooooooo! Without buying a new gun and upgrading it, I couldn’t beat the boss. But if I did that, I wouldn’t get the 15,000 cashews achievement. So I went in without buying a gun, and I got the achievement, and I got the shit kicked out of me by a million bunnies.