Audible and general audiobook recommendations

They send a reminder mail that takes you to this page (and I just went here by clicking on Audible Originals and then the banner for the monthly benefit).

https://www.audible.com/ep/audible-originals-member-benefit?pf_rd_p=ff56c72c-03b5-4d97-a0c0-f350626dba28&pf_rd_r=GS4STMB48XGSD04XSH5C&ref=a_ep_audibl_c9_banner_img_0

Oh, you have to pick from among their pre-selected titles. No thanks.

:(

Well, yeah.

That’s why they’re called that. What were you expecting something called “Audible Originals” to be?

Did you click on the link? You can select 2 titles from a list of 6 titles. Unless there are only 6 “Audible Originals” on the whole service…

They have a different set of selections each month.

Which are free.

Some months, I find nothing to interest me. Some months, I do.

The value of an Audible subscription is the substantial savings on audiobooks anyway. This is just something nice on top of that. Every month you can choose any book of the tens of the thousands with your monthly credit. And you get access to these free originals as well. And some pretty sweet member-only sales.

And, discounts on sales

Not interested, sorry.

I don’t care either way. For people who like Audiobooks, Audible is amazing. For people who don’t like them, it probably isn’t.

Another great trick is to buy the kindle eBook and add the audio book to your purchase for a greatly reduced cost. Often it works out to less than the $14.95 you pay per month. You can even go back and pick up the audio book for eBooks you purchased in the past.

My old Wanderer buddy ain’t lyin about that Whisper Sync deal of combining the Kindle and Audible versions of books. I’ve found that to be an especially great way to shorten the time it takes me to get through a long book.

It is indeed typically a really good deal for Audible subscribers, cost-wise.

I have to admit the Audible Originals complicate things for me.

Usually I only subscribe to Audible when they’re running a special to entice me back. So three months for $10, or some other deal like that. But Audible Originals make it so that even though I have a huge backlog of audiobooks to get through before I subscribe again, I’m still tempted to stay a subscriber just so that I can pick them up.

Still, I look at my backlog, and it’s not worth it. Right now I have 33 audiobooks to finish on Audible, that’s not counting any of the Audible Originals they’ve give me. Let’s see, I have… 19 Audible Originals on top of those 33.

Once I make a dent through all those, THEN I should go back for more.

On the positive side of getting through the back log, I’m almost done with Al Franken, Giant of the Senate and it has been excellent throughout. It’s funny like his other books, but it’s also really informative on the workings of the Senate.

Yeah, for Tiamat’s Wrath you can buy the ebook for $14.99 and add the audiobook on top of that for only $7.49 more (as an Audible subscriber) instead of the list price of $38.49 for the audiobook by itself. But I stopped reading ebooks a few years ago, and stick mainly with audiobook versions from my public library.

If you have Kindle Unlimited, you can add on the reduced-price Audible version when you “buy” the KU version as well.

Below is the link to scan your kindle library and find any audio books for them. My process is to get the daily Kindle deals email and buy things that sound interesting for ~$2. Then later if I want something new to listen to, I can scan and find something that will usually cost well under $10.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/audible/matchmaker?*entries*=0&_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&

waves There’s a blast from the past!

That’s a good tip, thanks.

I’ve been listening to Conceptions of Terror, which is an Audible Original pick for August. It’s a full cast recording of dramatizations of 4 of MR James’s short stories, updated for the modern era. They still feel a bit dated in subject matter and structure (but only because we’ve been telling horror stories James’s way for a century now), but the casts are excellent and they make for fun hour-long vignettes while I commute. I’m still really liking the Originals selections every month. I thought it was a bit of fluff when they first started doing it, but there’s some quality content there.

BTW that 30 for 30 podcast on Donald Sterling’s clippers on ESPN is solid gold. I listen to 2-3 audiobooks a month but I stopped to download that. It is in 5 parts. Just great. For audio listeners.

I am probably in the wrong thread but I am a huge audible gal and I got pulled into that amazing story.

Close enough, Kristi. I know I like hearing about something folks think is interesting.

Based on the recommendation I listened to the first episode. Not bad. So far it’s familiar territory and stuff I heard about in the news. The other four episodes should have stuff that’s mostly new to me though, since I didn’t much hear about this story too much afterward, other than he sold the Clippers to Steve Balmer.

Rock the first episode is summary – listen to Shelbourne’s rest… and it isn’t long.

I was mesmerized. You gotta know, in honesty, that I love the NBA as well so take that as a bias.

I used to love the NBA as well, though I admit I lost interest slowly after Jordan retired the second time. I still come back to it occasionally, but I’ve never had that same excitement again.