Audio and Video out of sync on .avi file

Hi how are you.

I’ve been noticing an intermittent problem with some of the TV shows I torrent - the audio and video do not sync properly. It becomes especially jarring on dialog heavy shows like The West Wing, and it seems as if it gets worse as I watch it. I’m using Windows Media Player to watch the .avi

Has anyone else encountered this?

I’ve encountered it when playing h264 divx files in Quicktime on a slow G4 processor. Playing the files on a more powerful computer and with a better media player eliminated the problem.

Fortunately, Windows has a lot of media player options, and they’re almost all better than WMP so it’s easy to experiment on that vector. Have you tried playing the files with the DivX player, or Media Player Classic? See if that makes a difference.

The machine is quite powerful. I just DLed and used the divx player, didn’t make a difference. :(

Could be a codec issue. You can download various from CuCuSoft for free.

http://www.cucusoft.com/codec.asp

You can also download VLC, which for whatever reason, handles some things other media players can’t. Like PocketPC movies in strange codecs, etc. It’s free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

K

I had a similar problem, and I followed the instructions here, and now I have no more problems. Keep in mind that how you install codecs is often as important as which ones you pick, or so it has seemed from my experiences with these goddamned things in the past.

I’ve encountered the exact same problem with recent The West Wing downloads. I suspect there’s someone doing some encoding out there who isn’t very good at it… I’ve spotted “Proper” versions of the same episodes which I’ve succesfully viewed with perfect sync.

Ripper groups have no quality control. In their haste to be the first release on the scene, they “ship it” without verifying audio sync throughout the .avi.

This is the reason why you’ll see a TV show torrent appear in a listing, and then a “PROPER” torrent appear a few hours later berating the first group for having no quality control.