Audio Codec Issues

So, I’m trying to watch some West Wing. Video is fine, but there’s 0 audio - GSpot tells me that the audio is AC3 format. I install the AC3 codec from Nemo - but still, no sound - only video. Help!

Not beyond the realm of possibility that it could be a codec conflict. Ever installed a standalone version of AC3 previously? I used to have an Xvid conflict because ffdshow was utilizing an older version of Xvid as well.

In any case, codec packs are usually bad news and should be avoided unless absolutely neccessary. Use Gspot to find the correct codec and download the correct standalones.

ac3filter

Why is that? I’ve used the K-Lite Codec Pack for a long time with no problems.

Why is that? I’ve used the K-Lite Codec Pack for a long time with no problems.[/quote]

Unsafe in the sense that users who install codec packs are usually unaware of exactly which codec is in the distribution, which can potentially cause problems on your machine (usually through problematic registry entries) in which you are unable to isolate, or even worse, solve if you can’t remove the offensive codec gracefully. There are nightmare cases and users who have been blissfully spared of all problems, so it depends on the luck of your anecdotal draw. :)