August 2017 Solar Eclipse

Thank you @Tman & all others that replied re my question on which glasses to get. Especially thanks for the tip about Lowe’s Hardware stores having glasses.

Online sources are drying up - out of stock, backordered, delivery dates after the eclipse at $30 per 3 pack of cardboard glasses, or mega packs with 500 pairs.

The Lowe’s here in Fargo had some cardboard ISO certified American Paper glasses still in stock @ $1.98 so I grabbed from there. They’re almost out, too, and could sell out at any time.

I’ve heard Wal-Mart has 1 buck pairs but no idea about brand/quality.

Anyone who wants glasses and haven’t got them yet: don’t delay another day or if possible even another hour.

Time to start freaking out about the 10-day weather forecasts…
Nashville currently says mostly cloudy on the 21st on weather.com. Let’s hope not, or we have some serious scrambling to do.

Gah…all of WY showing partly cloudy pretty much.

All eclipse solar glass sold out in my area it seems

Portland looking like chance of rain too (which despite the rest of the year is actually a little unusual for the summer).

Quick question for those who know more than me. Does it matter how close to the center you are for anything other than duration? Like will the ring of fire be more pronounced in the center of the totality line vs. the edge of the totality line?

I’m planning on my eclipse day location from Kansas City. I think everyone and their mother is going to st. Joseph which means I don’t want to be on that road. I want to take a road less travelled and setup shop in a place that hopefully won’t be overcrowded.

My guess is that it won’t be quite as dark, because the atmospheric light coming from the areas beside you that are in partial eclipse will be closer. But I bet it’s still great.

So I’m debating whether I’ll break out the telescope or just use the sun filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D12U1IK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These cloud predictions just keep getting worse. Ick!

St Louis just got an improved forecast from partly cloudy, to mostly sunny. Still keeping two locations open, and ready to go. If Carbondale will be better, I’ll be there.

Ugh, I would need to spend $230 for a neutral density kit for my 600mm lens. I could also try and buy some filter material from the price gougers, but they’re not even in stock.

From experience going to several partial eclipses… the projected image of the eclipsed sun was way more interesting than seeing the sun itself through a filter. Especially loved watching the thousands of crescent suns projected onto the ground by dappled sunlight through leaves.

I remember seeing that during the last partial eclipse. The shadows from the leaves in the trees was pretty awesome.

Rather than try and look at the sun, I’ve always found it much more fascinating to just see the entire neighborhood go suddenly dark.

Looking forward to this one. Some friends and I have a backpacking trip planned to the Shawnee National Forest, where we’ll overnight on Sunday before going to the Garden of the Gods for the actual eclipse viewing.

Big lens, what model is it, if you don’t mind me asking?

FYI

Sigma 150-600 Contemporary for Canon. It’s my new baby. had it a few weeks and really impressed. For example, I was chilling on the lawn and noticed some bees collecting neater. Got some handheld shots that are amazing.

Oh hell yeah. As a kid my friend Alex got a small reflector as a gift. It had an eyepiece solar filter. One day he removed it while it was still focused on the sun. Then he put a plastic cap over the eyepiece. Which instantly melted. We were damned lucky that day and never forgot the lesson.

That was to nKoan, of course.

Oh hell yeah, as well. Very nice.

Thunderstorm predicted in Kansas City the day of the eclipse, I really hope I don’t go across the country just to watch it rain in the dark in the afternoon.