August 2017 Solar Eclipse

FInd some alternate destination. Even driving 50 miles in some direction can make a difference.

Nevermind - Let Me Google That For Myself…
updated cloud cover predictions

edited to put in a more general link

Today’s GFS model (clouds in blue)

LOL

Trololololo

Well if it makes North-easterners (and South Ontarians) feel any better, there’s another in 7 years that pretty much passes right over Buffalo.

That’s one of the reasons I avoided Portland and Nashville. I feel like those are the A tier destinations. Hoping for less traffic in Kansas City. I have a car rental pickup on eclipse day at 9 and intend on driving from the lot to the clearest skies in driving range.

24 hours!
Any phenomena I should keep an eye out for?
So far I’m looking out for shadow bands, and baileys beads (assuming clouds don’t cockblock me)

Empty parking spaces

A couple links that may be of use…

https://spotwx.com
-Weather forecasts, including cloud cover predictions.

-article with guide on how to use the prior link.

So our original plan was to drive south from Fargo to Nebraska, then drive to the east coast to visit relatives. Nebraska forecasts looked questionable yesterday so we made a hard left at Souix Falls, SD.

We’re now on track to reach Nashville tonight. No reservations so it’ll be grabbing naptime in truck stops and rest areas.

One way or another, no matter what happens, it’s been an adventure! 1,200 miles in two days and counting!

BTW anyone driving south through Illinois: I-57 south of Champagne had one lane. It was a rolling parking lot for quite some miles.

Thanks for that. Headed there at 4am.

Probably gonna cut out north of there then

Leave early enough and all will be well. No traffic at 11:30 pm anyhow. :p

Rest area just north of the Kentucky border was packed to the gills though.

So I tried to leave options open as much as possible so I could account for weather.

Now, at 4:30, when I leave I must commit.

St. Louis or Carbondale.

The weather reports are near identical.

I choose Missouri. It’s a little closer, and has more parks. May the clouds have mercy.

Rest stop report: fucking clouds

Spent the night in SE Nashville. Weather looks promising. I think we’re going to pick some random rural high school closer to the eclipse centerline. Somewhere near US highways but away from the interstates. A school should have both parking and a view.

I’m in Springfield TN, north of Nashville. A few high clouds but very sunny, so far.

In St. Louis, projecting heavy clouds by eclipse time. Sit tight and hope? Deflect to Carbondale or Paducah?

Gonna deflect I think. South and east is clearer

Clouds clearing up over eastern Iowa so far. Still enough time for them to roll back in though, but I remain hopeful!