August 2017 Solar Eclipse

That’s how it was where I am, except I think we were 85%. The light looked slightly dimmer.

A friend of mine had a nice DSLR taking pictures both before and during totality. I’ll post some of those later with his permission, but here are my cell phone contributions.

We had planned to watch from Garden of the Gods in Shawnee National Forest, but it was packed. Instead, we backpacked in the nearby Camp Cadiz, and went to Cave-In Rock State Park, with awesome limestone cliffs over the Ohio. Perfect viewing spot, and good for a little exploring the previous night. The weather wasn’t altogether pleasant–eighty and humid overnight is not good tenting weather–but beyond that, we had a grand time.

I don’t know how you guys were able to actually get pictures of any of it. Every attempt I took with or without a filter ended up just being a shot of the sun.

Still that was an amazing experience. Time to lock down April 8 2024 somewhere.

On the iPhone you can press on the screen to focus and then drag your finger down to adjust the exposure of the shot.

Whelp going to have to wait 7 years for that tip.

Also, how do you see baileys beads and the diamond ring? I was told it was dangerous to look at the sun before the total eclipse and after, but when I wore the glasses it took the radiance away.

Again, for 7 years from now.

Can confirm, coming up from Carbondale through Champaign took over 4 hours.

Stopping for refreshments there.

Once I couldn’t see anything in the glasses I took them off and glanced very carefully at the sky. The diamond ring was truly something amazing. I started counting as I knew we had about a minute where I was. I saw a tiny sliver of sunlight and looked away immediately as the totality ended. Hoping I didn’t do too much damage to my eyes.

100 miles of red from Douglas to almost-Cheyenne!

Wyoming probably hasn’t seen a traffic jam like that since the aliens landed at Devil’s Tower.

Here’s my 3 best.

17-Eclipse;-D500-5676 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

17-Eclipse;-D500-5624 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

17-Eclipse;-D500-5592 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Keep em coming!

Nice shots. Wow!

That was super cool. They should really put these shows on more often.

98% where I was, and now I’m sad I didn’t make a trip the 45min it would have taken to get to a 100% area. It was ‘dusk’ enough to kick on streetlights, but 2% light is still quite a bit. And since it wasn’t total, you couldn’t look at it without glasses at any point. Phooey.

My solar panels today.

That’s Land’s End to John O’ Groats, twice. Ooof. I’m so glad you got to see it after all that!

Had a great time. The weather in northern Tennessee was perfect - literally cloudless sky.

I feel sorry for those who were close but not able to take the time off to get to the totality path. The partial eclipse and the total eclipse are two completely different experiences. Imagine you’re with a bunch of people and they’re showing you a bunch of nice paintings. The paintings get better and better, but then they shoo most of the people out of the room. The people lucky enough to stay get fed a fabulous meal. The paintings were nice and all, but the food is a completely different experience.

Let’s count all the the things that prove this to be a photoshop…

Yeah I got up in the morning to a super bleak weather report. Everywhere within reachable distance was slated to be mostly cloudy by 11AM when I left.

However I left anyhow. By 4:45 AM CST I departed from the south Chicago suburbs.

The alarm going off at 3:45 was not fun. But, so it was. I had packed the night before, so merely had to get my things together, and get my sleeping son loaded.

He was stirring until later, but did manage to sleep. But I had to choose, southwest, or south. With weather reports near identical for Carbondale and St Louis, I opted for the closer one, with more parks.

The road I would travel for then next 3+ hours. I would monitor the clouds the whole trip, ready to divert if needed. Anywhere from the Mississippi River to south of Paducah was in play. I wasn’t going to let clouds prevent me if at all possible.

FFFFFffffuuuuuuuu

Yup, clouds all the way down. The state of Missouri looked like a grey blanket on radar. As I approached St Louis it was projected to be mostly cloudy by totality time. So was Carbondale for that matter, but it was further east, which means I had a better chance I felt. So as I neared Troy, Illinois I hopped off I-55 and diverted southeast. I was less than an hour from my original destination, but it was looking too dicey. What’s an extra hours drive? It’s still only 8am, I got time.

Here, here was my new destination. Lake Kinckaid. Just west of Murfeesboro, but more importantly west of Carbondale. Close, but far enough to avoid that nonsense. Also right on the centerline. Here’s to hoping (and this is why I printed the eclipse map, I knew this might happen).

turns out I picked well. There was a decent crowd, but there was plenty of space to set up shop. My son even had a new friend to play with. A couple from Dayton was there with their 2.5 year old son, and they had a blast together. Which, given I arrived at 10am, was good. 3+ hours is a long time to a 3.5 year old.

Next… the eclipse proper.