Avatar: James Cameron's Ostensibly Revolutionary Spacey 3D Cinematic D&D Campaign

This explains why I was so terribly lost when I saw a preview for the Last Air Bender and it said by M. Night Shamalan, not James Cameron. Probably also explains why Avatar isn’t used in the title of The Last Air Bender.

The teaser is out, but Apple screwed up so all their links are dead, but I found one that is alive

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/avatar-teaser-trailer-is-here-7778

That does look pretty amazing.

The Apple link is working.

How the 3D camera works

Movie doesn’t look too bad, but judging from the trailer it’s going to be really, really predictable.

— Alan

How does this translate to AVATAR, which is completely CG?

Hmm well it doesn’t look all completely CG; much of the interior stuff looks live.

— Alan

Ah, you’re right. Some set photos on IMDB show some green screening in the interior scenes.

Especially since that trailer is giving me the humans-shit-on-aliens-until-one-human-becomes-alien-and-suddenly-empathizes vibe.

aka, District 9.

It’s humans vs night elves!

Actually, a scene in that trailer reminded me of a part of the WoW intro movie where the night elf hunter is running through the woods.

From the director of Piranha II and True Lies comes Neill Blomkamp, You Can Go Fuck Yourself. Seriously, No One Cares About You Now. I’m James Fucking Cameron.

This comes out on my birthday though, and I can’t really imagine sinking nearly three hours of that day for this.

Wow. Looks like a furry’s dream.

The environments look really good, but the humanoid aliens look really uninteresting and goofy. Not worth the hype, though maybe in 3D it’ll be different.

Are we really going to let Furrys claim Avatar as well?! The boundaries of what’s considered furry content seem to be expanding. I liked Ninja Turtles when I was a kid, does that make me a furry? I may have even watched a Bugs Bunny cartoon… but it wasn’t for titilation.

It just seems stupid to me that you can’t make anything with a cartoon animal in it anymore without being accused of making furry content. Personally I think the Navi’s are innocent. I get a very heavy pulp sci-fi vibe from Avatar. The Navi’s could come straight out of a modern adaptation of the John Carter of Mars series and I love that shit. There was a time before we all became cynical bastards that the idea of a red man living on Mars was fun, rather than disturbing or perverted. That’s the spirit with which I choose to approach Avatar.

As for the CGI issues…

The idea that people are bitching that the CGI is not completely realistic seems ridiculous to me. Humans are born and before they even learn to speak they start interpreting human expressions and tones. They can tell the difference between their mothers face and a vacuum cleaner before they can crawl. The idea that people expect that the human mind can be fooled by a computer generated image is ridiuclous. And that’s not a slight against computer animation, it’s praise for the human mind.

Ofcourse the CGI doesn’t TOTALLY convince, but does it have to? Avatar seems like the kind of film that the audience needs to go along with, to a certain point. You have to buy the fantasy a little bit to enjoy it. If you’re going to go into it from a hard science perspective its going to fall apart.

Personally I’m totally pumped. Can’t wait to see what Pixar can achieve with John Carter in a couple of years…

Say what you will about True Lies (I liked it) but Cameron has an amazing track record as a writer and director. And considering how long he has wanted to make this movie out of the hundreds of features he’s had the opportunity to work on since Titanic I’m very interested to see how it turns out.

Its hard to believe Cameron could want this that much, that he could get all these dollars behind it, if it wasn’t something new and unique.

Okay that did not hype me up as much as it should.
In fact, I almost regret he will make his comeback with this movie.But…I will still see it day one.

If that isn’t a tagline on the movie poster, JFC’s agent owes you an apology.

Well…maybe it’ll look better in 3D.

They really should have just called a spade a spade and titled it Fern Gully in Space.

Only if you got turned on when he was wearing a dress.

I thought the consensus was that Titanic was his worst film, and though True Lies might not be the best thing ever, it is still pretty entertaining. I wish he did something more left-field. Like a film adaptation of the following image.

To all of you people complaining about this furry vibe, at least James Cameron did not make a sci-fi take on Bernardo Bertolucci.