Avatar: James Cameron's Ostensibly Revolutionary Spacey 3D Cinematic D&D Campaign

If there’s gonna be blue people, I’d rather see McNulty dismember them than Sam Worthington fuck them.

Just noticed that Avatar is being re-released this Friday. Would you guys recommend seeing it in 3D if I missed it the first go around? I’ve already seen it in regular ole 2D.

yes…

I would recommend finding a better way to spend three hours of your life. Avatar has already taken enough time out of it.

yes, we know you didn’t like it, move on :)

Find a theater playing Scott Pilgrim instead.

You first. I mean really, how much money are people willing to throw at this thing? How anyone can hate the Star Wars prequels and then praise this is one for the ages.

3D is the only reason to see it. So if you can stand the socalled story again, then by all means… but twice? There’s so many other films to catch up with.

Et tu, MattK?

Happily, though, you’ve just solved the problem I’ve been having trying to figure out what the hell to do with this week’s 3x3! And for that, I thank you.

-xtien

To be fair, it isn’t the originality of the plot, or the sparkling dialog that made the original Star Wars so great. It had some good lines, but it’s more than just the sum of its parts. I’m not saying Avatar is Star Wars, but it’s hardly the prequels…

Avatar is the technological masturbation of the prequels taken to the logical extreme, drained of any attempt at artistry, humor or ambition. Cameron may as well have installed a fleshlight in a rack computer, perpetually kept warm by the feverishly rendering CPUs. Lucas was ham-fisted and tone deaf, but he at least had ambition. Cameron is just a hack, content to recycle dated tropes and spewed ignorant politics.

This is grossly understating the badness of the Star Wars prequels. Avatar was fairly mediocre, particularly for the guy who pulled off things like Aliens. However, it did not have a Jar Jar character, a 9 year old central character chosen for looks rather than acting ability, or a main enemy ship-threat destroyed by a 9 year old by accident. Avatar may have be bland, overhyped, and over-focused on the special effects, but there was nothing truly hideous about it, as there was about each of the three Star Wars prequels.

I’d rather watch Indy 4 again than see Avatar again.

I’d rather watch Avatar…in 2D…than see Indy 4 again.

“So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause.”

I’m going to see it again, I liked it :D

I didn’t mind Avatar for what it was, but I have no desire to see this again.

PS - A big “Hah!” to everyone that will rebuy the DVD/Bluray version when they add the new stuff.

You’ve gotta give Lucas credit for at least trying to be creative. I knew what was going to happen in Avatar from the moment Steve Lang told Sam Worthington to gain the trust of the blue people. In the prequels, I figured the good guys would win in the first two movies and not the last, but much of the rest was unexpected.

Granted, that was probably because a good portion of it didn’t make sense*, but now we’re splitting hairs.

*i.e. Anakin actually insisting he should be all-powerful, genuinely believing he could stop other people from dying, etc.

To be clear, the only reason I think Scrax should see Avatar in 3D is because that’s really the only reason to see the movie.

Honestly, some things are worth experiencing for that reason alone. You don’t ride a roller coaster ride expecting to have your preconceived notions challenged. “Welcome to the Georg Hegel ride at Six Flags’ Magic Mountain! Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, as questioning your felt inclinations in this matter may lead to you reaching your finitude.”

This isn’t one of those movies where the 3D was an afterthought after-processing designed to capitalize on a fad (Last Airbender, Clash of the Titans) or something that was possible due to the inherent nature of the original source (any computer-animated film), but rather the whole point of the movie in the first place. The plot was grabbed off-the-shelf on purpose – a tried-and-true story that could help work as a vehicle for demonstrating a superior 3D cinema experience. The 3D experience is the only reason to watch.