Avatar: James Cameron's Ostensibly Revolutionary Spacey 3D Cinematic D&D Campaign

It’s for the new Avatar area of Disneyworld that’s coming.

Ah okay. That’s what I figured. The thread title is confusing.

Avatar 2 delayed from Dec 2018 to Dec 2020. The other sequels have also been pushed back.

These movies definitely feel like real things that are totally happening, honestly.

Starting to sound like Lucas with the prequels…The guy has all the money, answers to nobody, and probably has nothing but “yes men” around him. Train wreck incoming in 3…2…1…

Actually it was delayed from its original release date and given a December 2018 date a long time ago. They announced a delay from 2018 last year when they decided to produce the sequels concurrently. All they did here was finally announce a solid release schedule, now that it is actually in production. So no new delay, although that’s how it is being reported because it makes great click bait.

James Cameron says the main villain is Stephen Lang. Apparently, he didn’t die in the first movie.

It’s long been confirmed that Stephen Lang’s Colonel Quartich would return (despite taking a pair of four-foot arrows in the chest), but talking to Empire in our September issue, Cameron reveals that Quaritch won’t be relegated to a supporting role or appear solely in flashbacks. Rather, he will continue to menace Jake, Neytiri and the other Na’vi throughout all five movies as the saga’s main antagonist.

“The interesting conceit of the Avatar sequels is it’s pretty much the same characters,” he says. “There are new characters and a lot of new settings and creatures, so I’m taking characters you know and putting them in unfamiliar places and moving them on this greater journey. But it’s not a whole bunch of new characters every time. There’s not a new villain every time, which is interesting. Same guy. Same motherfucker through all four movies. He is so good and he just gets better. I know Stephen Lang is gonna knock this out of the park.”

Man, I know it’s a bad idea to bet against James Cameron, but this all just sounds terrible.

Yeah, I’m just not a fan of the concept. I mean, Lang’s character was great. He was complex and not cartoonishly evil, but in the end he clearly sided with corporate greed and added a personal vengeance to his actions. I liked watching that evolution of a bad guy.

And then he died. I liked that ENDING to a bad guy.

I just don’t see how his character can evolve in an interesting way after that, but perhaps I’m simply bereft of imagination.

Yeah, this doesn’t make sense. Unless Stephen Lang is playing some kind of Dr. Wily, with the climax of each successive Avatar sequel resulting in a boss battle that only leads to boss battles all the way down. Or if the Avatar franchise moves in a direction that takes the first movie’s ripoff of (national treasure) Ursula K. Le Guin’s “The Word For World Is Forest” and keeps diving farther into sensitive, intellectual and emotional New Wave SF. Perhaps every new Lang is a reflection of corporate militaristic patriarchy echoing across ripples of quantum spacetime membranic possibili-verse. In the next one, he’s a mean ol’ pirate. In the third one, a war profiteer. In the fourth one, he runs a puppy mill. And so on. Only the Avatar can stop him, hoping that the next leap will be the leap home…

I still don’t know how the guy who literally wrote the line, “Just take off and nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure” doesn’t see that gigantic plot hole in his entire franchise.

Well, literally, the line was “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

You go girl!

Isn’t the obvious way for Stephen Lang to be alive, and to continue to remain alive, is/was for him to be in an Avatar of his body?

I hate this franchise.

I laughed at this way more than it deserved.

I don’t get the hate for papyrus. I think they’re delicious.

As a graphic designer, I could never quite forgive Thief: Deadly Shadows for using it everywhere.

Edit: and thanks for sharing that @Telefrog, made me laugh a lot too.

I have to say I loved that too. Well shared.

-xtien

“I see you.”

Good news everyone, Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 have all wrapped shooting.

Avatar 2 hits theaters on December 18th, 2020, and will be followed by Avatar 3 on December 17th, 2021. Avatar 4 and Avatar 5 are expected to hit theaters on December 20th, 2024 and December 19th, 2025. James Cameron has said that they will not release the fourth and fifth installments unless the first two sequels are hits at the box office.

I used to not care about this series because it’s been so long… and then I went to Pandora in Disney World; I now care again.