Avatar: The Last Airbender - Suriprisingly good anamated serieis

“You mean like a second head!”

Okay, fair point, that episode wasn’t bad at all. Maybe I just don’t like being teased with Iroh… let him speak!

I did not really believe the group therapy session on the beach. Too forced.

Who’s voice is changed out this year? I missed that earlier…

Also, this season is really good so far. They often spend time ignoring the plot, doing side episodes and so on and I like this often as much or more than the plot episodes. You get to know the characters more than in the action oriented main plot.

That being said, this last episode was just all right. Very emo, few laughs, etc.

Mako, the original voice for Iroh, died last year. His replacement did a few small scenes in season 2, but has yet to speak in season 3. By all accounts his voice is pretty close. If you’re really listening for it you can tell the difference, but he should be fine.

Well it seems the UK is showing the first TEN episodes of the third season this week, with two episodes airing each day. (They just aired episode six of season 3 yesterday). So hopefully someone one in the UK is going to torrent these episodes.

Plot progresses. Lots of Ryoku/Sozen. Iroh speaks (it isn’t Mako, but it is good enough imitation). And there was much rejoicing. Very good episode. The Ehasz’s (sp?) make a great writing team. Previous complaints about a ‘slow season’ retracted, things are moving now.

Agreed. This episode was cause for joy. I loved when Ryoku casually kicked Sozen’s ass like he was nothing. Sozen was smart enough not to try any funny business for 20 years after that.

Holy cow… for the 5 or so of us that actually watch this, this week’s episode was quite dark. The kiddies were mildly disturbed by it initially. Amazing episode - will be interesting to see how Kitara deals with (and uses(!)) her new ability in the future. Deep character development for a ‘kids’ show.

Bloodbending seems like it would just about trump every other art. Airbenders should be able to disable people by pulling air out of their lungs as well, but I suppose that’s not something a peaceful monk society would develop…

Well, Bloodbending only works one day a month so it’s not too overpowering. But yea, as much as Katara hates the thought of it she will be forced to use it eventually.

Damn, this is a great show.

Someone hacked into TurboNick and extracted episodes 310 and 311 from the website. And they’re now floating around the internet. Given the illegality of the episodes, I’m not going to link to them. But I’m sure you can find them easily.

Oh, and they were both pretty awesome.

Thank you, TBW. My kid was pretty depressed when we finally burned through the last of her Avatar fix on Friday. This will be a nice surprise.

Yeah, this was probably the darkest episode yet. This was the first episode of the entire series where my son couldn’t watch the end. Bloodbending was to creepy for him.

Episodes 310 and 311 were pretty kickass. Toph and Appa are just so, so awesome.

I loved the blood bending episode. It got my whole family talking power and how having the power doesn’t mean you have to use it in irresponsible ways.

Not to mention it was just a great episode. Probably my favorite of the season so far. Much like X-Files back in the day, the episodes that aren’t so tied into the overall story are usually the best.

And the blood bending? If this wasn’t a child’s show, it would have been even more brutal, much like the witch did with the flowers…

Yes, I think Matt’s right about the brutality. Am I the only one here who thought the marionettes that came tumbling out of the witches closet were originally (Fire nation) human?

I probably would have thought that if the title of the episode hadn’t been ‘Puppetmaster’. It was a nice decoy/segue into what was really going on.

And as for the ‘brutality’, you’re right. An adult show would have had more gore without really adding anything to the show. What made the episode powerful though was Katara’s reaction to having to use it to save Aang/Sokka. The writers are amazing within the confines they have (a kid’s show). Damn strikes.

Barstein, no, you weren’t the only one who thought that. For a moment there I thought we were going to see some old-school Dr. Who villainy.

I think perhaps the thing I like most about the show, besides the writing being accessible to children and entertaining for adults and great voice acting, is the fight choreography. I’m constantly amazed by the detail of it, and the ways in which they use the environment in their fights - particularly earth benders. It really is brilliant.

Does anyone know how or if the strike will affect Avatar? I guess animation isn’t covered, but Seth MacFarlane walked off Family Guy in unity. I will be quite pissed if I don’t get to see the rest of this season on time - especially after the massive wait for season 3 to start.

Avatar TIVO alart! Tonight’s one-hour episode WILL NOT RECORD.

If you see this post before 11pm EST, go to your Tivo and record Avatar: Day of Black Sun on NIK2.

I don’t believe this counts as a spoiler in any way, but avert your eyes now if you really want to know nothing:

Apparently it has been confirmed that there are 21 total episodes in season 3, with the season (and series) finale being 4 episodes back-to-back in a 2hour event. No indication that I’ve seen of when we get the rest :(

I expected “more” to happen in this double-episode, because I didn’t realize so many episodes were left in the season. I had it in my head that this was the end - guess not :)