Avatar: The Last Airbender - Suriprisingly good anamated serieis

Agreed overall, although the beach episode was one of my favorites of the series.

Thanks. Now I am excited about it.

Just saw this article
Director Cameron says his next film, Avatar, far beyond anything he has ever done

I watched it. I thought it was exceedingly well done.

It just won a Peabody

http://www.peabody.uga.edu/news/event.php?id=59

Avatar: The Last Airbender (NICK)
Nickelodeon
Unusually complex characters and healthy respect for the consequences of warfare enhanced this American-made, anime-influenced martial-arts adventure.

I know Nickelodeon said they were go to milk this series for decades, but has anything concrete been announced since the finale? I have not seen anything.

I just finished watching this. Overall I really enjoyed it. My favorite character was Uncle Iroh. He was just so wise. Also I feel like he had the most interesting, surprising, and tragic back story. Also, even though the last four episodes held no surprises, the bending battle scenes were really nicely done. Now I need to find another anime to watch.

I recently tore through this, too. It was excellent, and the humour was perfect for both young and old.

In terms of favourite characters, there can be only one: Appa. God, I love that Sky Bison. He adorns my iPhone’s wallpaper, and seeing him each time I unlock the phone cheers me immensely.

I cannot believe how affecting Appa’s Lost Days was. Poor dear.

I’m not ashamed to admit I teared up a couple of times during Appa’s Lost Days. Especially when he was remembering the first time he met Aang. Those baby sky bisons were emotional nukes, when you realized that they were all gone… Yip yip, bisons, yip yip!

I love Appa because he’s so patient, he’s always ready to break up a tense moment with a giant slurp, and he saves the day on a pretty much continuous basis. I’m dying to see how they pull him off in the live action movie.

Tales of Ba Sing Se may be my favorite episode due to the Iroh vignette.

Me too. At the end when Iroh says “Happy birthday, my son. If only I could have helped you.” and starts singing that song…

I have a giant Appa on my desk.

This is hands down the best kid show in 20 years. Me and mine have watched over and over, and you can really just throw on an episode at random…they are all good. I always have 10 or so in cue on the DVR.

Big fan of The short story episode with Sakka doing Hikku, the library under the desert with the giant owls was awesome, the last episode- was a good ending.

But my favorite part is- unlike most fiction, there is no evil ‘group’. There are evil people,but it is show time and again that the fire nation in itself is not evil. they are just people like the others, their leaders are just a bit messed up. This was not lost on my 7 year old.
Also, warnings about pride,revenge and other common mythological moral issues.A handicapped kid who is just as Toph-er Tough, as any other bender out there…maybe better. Nice to have a show that has morals, but is not preachy or banging it over your head.
And yeah- Thai-Chi would totally be waterbending.

WANT! Where did you get it?!

Toys R Us. Came with a Flying Aang too! I took it over after the kids lost Aang.here

My friend lent this to me a few weeks ago and I’ve been watching it with my five-year-old daughter. Surprisingly we both love it and can’t wait to get book 2 next week. Book one had a great two-part finale and I have been really impressed with the story and characters so far.

According to the wiki, the show’s creators purposefully based each bending style off of a Chinese martial art:

Waterbending = Tai Chi

Earthbending = Hung Gar
—Toph = Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis

Firebending = Northern Shaolin

Airbending = Ba Gua

And that’s a huge part of what made the show for me. They took existing stuff and fit it into their world, not just had their characters do random movements and training.

Loved that show from start to finish, though the last little run wasn’t the greatest…

I’ve been talking about this show over in the movie thread, but I want to profess my love for this here.

From pro-wrestling to old-west in the span of two episodes! This show is truly fantastic.

Thanks to a movie I never saw, I saw a TV show I’ll never forget. So three cheers for Mr S and his 9 figure advertising campaign