Avatars come to Qt3! Find out how to get yours!

So after ten years of having no avatars, I’ve decided to finally inflict them on everyone. Yay? Boo? Let me explain what changed my mind:

1. Boardgame Geek. I’ve been reading and posting a fair bit over there, and someone was kind enough to PM me and say, ‘Hey, you should totally have an avatar, here’s a donation of Geek Gold so you can buy one’. Geek Gold? Buy one? Uh. I had no interest in setting up an avatar, but I didn’t want to be rude. So I set up an avatar. And then I bought some micro badges for my favorite games. And then I fiddled with my little motto bar. And now I enjoy seeing it every time I post over there. Maybe avatars aren’t so stupid after all. Maybe a little touch of visual panache isn’t necessarily tacky. Maybe embracing flair isn’t a bad thing.

2. I could use your support. I don’t want to whine about money and I hate asking for donations. I suck at that stuff. The best I can do is apologize that you guys have to endure ads. I’d run this place for free if I wasn’t trying to use it to make a living. So the avatars are part of a pledge drive. Here’s the deal:

If you donate at least a dollar via the PayPal link on the front page (or click here), tell me your username and I’ll enable avatars on your account.

The avatars are whatever little 64 pixel by 64 pixel images you want to upload. They’ll be sort of like supporter badges. You’ll have your avatar in perpetuity, since I don’t have any plans to make this a yearly thing. Plus I’m not really interested in setting up any sort of billing infrastructure. And many of you have been super supportive when it comes to occasional donations when I bring up the issue, so I apologize for trundling out another donation request. If you’ve donated in the past, just send me a PM and I’ll switch your avatar on. But hopefully the rest of you will also want a little picture by your posts. For just a dollar! That’s, uh, less than the cost of, well, pretty much anything. Except some games on iTunes.

1. If you don’t like the avatars, no problem! Go into your profile and turn them off. It’s easy. Go to profile | browsing options | display avatars and set it to off. There. For you, Qt3 is now the avatar-less forum it always was.

Needless to say, please don’t post pictures of penises or nekkid ladies or anything gross. If you can’t think of anything for your avatar, I recommend an otter, or maybe a penguin.

-Tom

P.S. In case it’s not clear how to set up your avatar, first Google “cute otter pictures”. The right click on your favorite and choose “save image as…” Then click on settings in the upper right corner of Qt3:

Click on My Settings | Edit Avatar:

Then upload your avatar from this screen:

Voila! You are now identified as a proud supporter of Quarter to Three!

Reported!

Can somebody check on Tom?! Looks like his account has been hacked…

Now, let’s go find me an avatar!

the black background has me thinking Eye of Sauron

Paypal link doesn’t work for me, though the front page ‘donate’ one does.

hahaha. Awesome!

Of course, Tom gets the biggest avatar at 64x64 while the rest of us plebs make do with 50x50… ;)

So I noticed. :)

No issues setting up my avatar once I resized to the mode modest 50 pixels.

Wendelius

Fixed! Uh, I think.

-Tom

Yep, sorted.

Update the donate link in the OP as well, it is broken at the moment and just returns this:

Yep, also fixed!

-Tom

Donated.

Avatars should be forced on for all accounts.

Next month the pledge drive can go towards disabling avatars.

Supported. I eagerly await my avatarization.

When do ‘likes’ get activated?

Oh, wow. This is wacky.

Donated.

Donated!

I’m in. donated =)

Donated, of course. Would donate more if I had it.

Happy to contribute.

Donated!

Donated!

Donated, as I’m wont to do, even without the added bonus of an avatar. Now, what will I pick? Hmmm.