Aven Colony - off-world city builder

I thought you didn’t play betas Tom.

I thought he didn’t want the thread bumped until 2017 ;)

I wasn’t playing Aven Colony, I was streaming Aven Colony.

Doh, now I’ve gone and bumped the thread again.

-Tom

This looks great. Really looking forward to trying it

I couldn’t find system specs anywhere on the website. Can someone post them so I will know if getting excited is a waste of time?

Thanks.

This is really a kind of game I can get into. I sure hope it turns out good.

The beta is now available for purchase for $24.99 on itch.io (it will NOT grant a Steam key):

Aven Colony Beta

I am torn between waiting for it to be on Steam or getting it now.

When will it be on steam? Is there any date for that?

“Early 2017”

I thought that was the full, non beta release. So it will not be on steam in any form until then? I guess Ill have to wait.

They stated that the beta will only be available on itch.io (with no steam key).

They linked to an article by Soren Johnson and his experience with Offworld Trading Company as Early Access on Steam (I found this link on the Aven Colony forums). It is an interesting read.

Postmortem: Offworld Trading Company’s Early Access campaign

It is. Its a shame that early access is such a double edged sword. I wonder if steam or somebody can come up with a better system or at least blunt the negative aspects of early access.

2 recent youtube streamer let’s play’s…

When is the release date?

It looks cool at least. I hope there’s some depth.

Yeah. These kinds of games are rare, and the last few I played sucked. Here is hoping this will be really good.

@DeepT , which ones sucked? :)

Anno 2205 was alright, but not as good as 1404 (The Best Anno) was.
Banished was meh, just from the videos I watched, I knew it wasn’t for me.
Cities Skylines is fun for awhile, but its a game that is a mile wide and a inch deep.

And then there is another I can’t remember its title, but it was some kind of mars colony thing.

I do not consider Cities Skyline and Anno as quite the same kind of games as these.
Cities has a very simple economy, you just zone stuff, you are not building potato farms to avoid starvation of your citizens, for example.

Anno games have a much wider field of play, especially dealing with multiple islands and cities at once, not to mention war and stuff like that.

Ok, the second game:

I saw Aven colony price went up on itch.io as it gets closer to official release. Their last big update nearly a month ago had this statement in it. I’m curious what it might be:

We’ve been busy on some very big new features for Aven Colony. One of the biggest ones isn’t even in today’s build, and hasn’t even been announced! Keep your eyes peeled – we’ll have a big announcement in the next 3-4 weeks.

Probably multiplayer, because every freakin’ thing has to have multiplayer. eye roll

Even the Stardew Valley bro is adding MP. Stooop.