Aven Colony - off-world city builder

He planned that before release.

Yeah yeah. Do you think it needs multiplayer?

Long before release. It’s not about need. ConcernedApe envisioned his game with multiplayer from early on. I want to see what they’re going to do with that. I am curious what that might look like.

Not what I asked at all, but I notice that’s how you roll.

Well that’s a dick thing to say. Do i think genre should try something new. Yes I do. The genre needs more than one good PC port. That’ assuming you even care about the genre itself more than you do one single indie title.

Okay then.

OK back to Aven Colony. I really don’t see how mp adds anything of value to the game so I’m hoping that’s not it. One might argue, “what about sharing/trading resources?” and I’d just point them to Simcity and say it will end in ruin.

They implemented it badly, and the constant online crap was part of the problem. There have been plenty of City Builder style games that did MP pretty well, like Anno. It looks promising, so I look forward to their announcement, whatever it is.

Well, SimCity was an utter catastrophe from top to bottom. Yes, the online stuff was stupid, but any online stuff in that disaster was going to be stupid.

@DeepT
I did purchase this through itch.io as the beta version and was sent an email today that announced that Steam keys were now available to us.

I would think it would be available on Steam directly soon.

Thanks for the info, Ill definitely have to keep an eye out for it.

Pre-order is up, release is in 6 weeks. (July 25th)

@Razgon and @geewhiz how is the game?

Preview vids popping up on youtube. Ehhhh I am not feeling a must buy now vibe. :(

Still looks cool. I look forward to seeing how others feel about it.

I watched a couple of videos Arumba did with Aven Colony. It’s not clicking with me and rather than making me excited to see it, I’m sort of meh on it. Maybe I need to watch some mid-game building, but the early game looks quite tame.

I have this preordered so I will take one for the team and inform you if it is good or not.

I enjoyed @tomchick 's playthru of the beta (from early this year). I really enjoyed Planetbase as a calm off-world builder, and this looks like advanced Planetbase so excited for it.

I quickly grew bored of Planetbase as there were simply not enough options and too much wasted space to remain entertaining for long. I like the style of these games so I am hoping that Aven’s considerably larger build list will create more appeal and options. The art style is a bonus too.

I was fortunate in that I when I finally got Panetbase I totally knew what to expect so I had set my expectations low, and doing that I was pleasantly surprised how much I squeezed out of it.

Hey, this seems to be out now. Mixed reviews though, I am not impressed overly with what I read from RPS either, but it may still be worth checking out, and it sounds like support is continuing so who knows?