Aven Colony - off-world city builder

Oh man, I didn’t even think to invoke rationing! Probably wouldn’t have helped by that point anyway, but I can see it would come in handy on this particular scenario, where food is so scarce.

They died because of you!

Finished the game. I figured out what I did wrong on that final campaign and why I ran out of food. I was building lots of greenhouses when I should have been building more mills. Seems so obvious now!

I certainly got my $15 worth out of this game.

I just finished Arido Mesa, the 6th mission in the campaign. So far it was my favorite as they kicked it up a notch with a time limit. There was some pressure in the beginning, but once I picked up the pace of accepting immigrants I figured I’d complete it. My biggest issue was keeping everyone employed. I was just putting down multiple research centers and shopping centers just to employ people.

I haven’t generally paid much attention to the overland map, but eliminating the creep nests can definitely prove to be useful. Definitely satisfied with this purchase - even if I don’t play much beyond this, but I intend to finish the campaign.

Just about to start mission 5 here, Tenari Glacier. :)

Azara Falls was the hardest one for me so far. Had to get greenhouses up and working correctly and supplied with potash.

Space Elevator!

I just finished the last mission. It looks like there will be a content drop with some challenge maps early this year. That could be fun. Anyone spend time with the sandbox? City builder sandboxes usually don’t hold my attention much as I like having goals set by the game.

In any case, I’m pretty happy with the game.

Tenari Glacier was a lot of fun, I had to set up 2 remote solar outposts to cover power demand. :)

Turned out the 2nd one was overkill! :D

Onward to mission 6!

Other than mission objectives, I never needed to build any of the world map structures to beat the campaign. I always had enough geothermal or the stuff fueled by the mined substance. I almost built one so I could have another food source, but after maxing out the trade lines I didn’t need it.

I love the space elevator for storage! I try to build it every mission if possible.

Saw it mentioned on their facebook page, the Cerulean Vale map that was a pre-order perk, then offered for sale at $3 since release, will be FREE when content drop 3 arrives in February.

New content drop and they added some new scenarios that sound awesome - the kind I’d been hoping for. One of them sounds like you can only grow alien crops and you’re forced to deal with working your colony around that quirk. They added minor perks to random scenarios, and for those random scenarios lots of options that are also more clearly delineated. New sewage treatment plant, but I’d rather hoped the new building would be more unique, not something that just made water easier to deal with.

Then another map that involves increasing and later massive assaults to your base from all manner of baddies.

Nice, perks for every mission now and a new building, the water treatment facility!

The water treatment plant really makes a difference on desert planets!

Mission 7 with the refugees is harder than I figured it would be. I had too many people come in too fast, causing high unemployment and then I lost a refferendum!

There’s a competition to be first players to win each of the new scenarios on insane difficulty. Must record whole thing. I was going to try for fun and then submit my decimated colony as a joke, but can’t til I get home in some days or week(s).

But if you’re a pro and want to win some physical prizes go do it (entry rules are on steam discussion page).

I picked this up during the steam sale, fired it up this morning and 4 hours later I was like “wholly crap this is fun”

Almost collapsed my colony - fortunately I had left those supply crates hanging around for just such an emergency & staved off failure just enough to get to spring.

I’m looking forward to more

Yeah enjoy it @Tman , I think I have 2 scenarios left to finish, got sidetracked by other games sadly.

I just finished sandy gulch. I really like this game. It’s not too stressful, but you are actively managing everything.

I was surprised that there are no real guides on steam for this. I am not certain how air quality works. I try to build an air filter on all bad buildings (geothermal, mines, etc), and then I try to evenly space them, but I’m not really getting it when a level 3 air filter has really bad air quality!

Crime is another aspect I’m not sure of. I get a lot of overlapping coverage, and it still complains. It must be the criminals complaining they can’t commit enough crime!

As far as strategy - I barely made it out of the 1st scenario b/c I ran out of all my minerals (iron / copper) and had to resort to processing sludge, so this last game, I cranked on the entari spores, dedicated a chemical plant to them and had 3 nanite processors, only processing the sludge. That seemed to work pretty well. I wonder if that’s necessary or am I missing something else perhaps?

Also key is employment - I’ve found that 80% is the sweet spot as I again made mistakes in the early going by building all these buildings and then wondering why I still didn’t have food or water and saw that I only had one worker at these plants! I really like this mechanic in the game, forces you to let growth happen. I just built two immigration centers and turned one of them off occasionally during winter if I was running low on food.

Any other strategies to recommend?

Not in the first mission! But later missions you often have to process sludge.

Whew. Finished Azara Falls. I always have a hard time with storage, Seems like I waste so much putting up so many storage warehouses, and now they say "but you can spend 999 and get a space elevator and your storage woes go away.

I don’t like the fact that when you deactivate a room, it puts it at 50% happy (with no one inside). It skews the overall happiness.

I am doing much better with air quality - I just plan a air filter with all the polluting buildings and it works pretty well.

The remote settlements was not clear, but now that I see the icons on the bottom of the world map, I get it, but it took several googles to find what I couldn’t figure out.

I had two fully kitted out expeditions and they still couldn’t win a confrontation. Kept limping back home with 1/2 dead. One of my ships said it had all this inventory, but didn’t detail it. When it docked, I’m not sure I detected any adds. (of course by this point, I almost couldn’t build storage units fast enough)

I do wish they had a colorblind option. The red/green things on the overlay map is impossible for me to see any type of shade. They all look green. Fortunately you can mouse over everything.

Does this affect the overall happiness stats? Bleh.

I use this all the time (turning off farms in winter, mainly).