Avengers 3: Infinity War

I have a young daughter so I had to restrict my nights out to 3 every six months or so :)

The simplest explanation for why they’re in Wakanda is that its high tech makes it the best place on Earth to stage a defense - see the line in the trailer about how their one advantage they have is that Thanos is coming to them. The Soul Stone may not be on Earth at all, and might not get addressed until the next movie.

Don’t see why this won’t do better than Civil War (and BP.) In addition to everything Civil War had, it has Pratt and Cumberbatch, who don’t forget are actual bankable stars outside their Marvel roles (unlike most of the rest of the Marvel cast.) I’m guessing Ultron money ($1.4 billion.)

The movie that will get hit with Marvel fatigue is Ant-man and Wasp.

Yeah, this has big star power. I mean, Black Panther and Wakanda is in the movie! The appeal of this film is across the board.

That trailer is incredible… the scene with Cap and Thanos… wow!

At about the 1:38 point that looked like Voldemort. :)

But I am so looking forward to this.

Isn’t this like Part 1 of the end of the Avengers. How could anyone look at it as just another Avengers movie?

I’ve been waiting for this movie for my entire life.

You’re also a geeky guy (sorry for assuming, but you ARE posting on Qt3, after all), though. For all that nerd culture has gone mainstream, the average person still doesn’t have deep investment in this stuff. They’re cool popcorn movies with some neat interlocking stories, but they’re not integral to life. I kinda think a lot of viewers really would just think it’s just another Avengers movie. Hell, a lot of folks would be pissed off by an unexpected To Be Continued at the end, if the Russos go that way…

I gotta say, looks pretty much like just another Avengers movie to me. They’re starting to run together in my brain.

I would think adding the characters from all the other movies into one movie would kind of tip off that it is more than just another Avengers movie, but if I wasn’t informed by the forum I probably wouldn’t know this was it.

Bear in mind that saying “just another Avengers movie” isn’t necessarily a criticism. I don’t doubt it will be done well and hopefully will be interesting, but the fact that the members of the Avengers can be swapped out as needed doesn’t really distinguish this from another Avengers movie where they beat up some bad guys. But when I’m in the mood for that, this will be the movie I go see. Unless I pick one of the others by accident.

Right, the nerd market is not some niche, but that’s why all of these films are so successful.

To truly push them up into the record books, you need some extraordinary interest that extends into the non-nerd mainstream.

Interest like the first Star Wars film in decades. Interest like the first time a team of superheroes established in their own movies comes together to save the world. Interest like a black superhero, with a huge ensemble cast of mostly black actors, and a black director, coming in near the high point of Marvel’s popularity, supported by the best reviews a superhero movie has ever gotten.

The nerds know there’s the potential for Infinity War to be more significant than most Marvel films, but my parents—who enjoy Marvel movies when they see them—aren’t going to see Thanos as a bigger deal than Ultron, or care that the ensemble is even bigger than before. It’ll probably land somewhere in the high 80s–low 90s on Rotten Tomatoes, best case scenario. It’s going to be a very successful movie, and it certainly could beat Black Panther, but I’m not expecting it, and I doubt it will touch TFA.

Unrelated to that point, the Russo brothers have also been reframing this not as a “Part one” anymore, just FYI. They said Infinity War and Avengers 4 will be more like the connection between Winter Soldier and Civil War than an actual two-part movie.

I really can’t get over just how brilliantly they have captured not only Thanos but Josh Brolin AS Thanos and maintained his size and obvious power. That’s some movie magic right there. Wow!

I really have to give the Marvel franchise credit. Over the course of the last 8 years they’ve turned a franchise that i really didn’t know/care about and turned it into something i’m pretty interested in. At the same time, DC has pretty much done the exact opposite.

Looking back, i remember this video thinking…man, i wish someone did this. Now, it seems like Marvel is delivering on it with their characters…

What is amazing is my wife actually cares about the Marvel films and she usually hates that kind of stuff. I think, for whatever reason, they have attracted an audience superhero movies wouldn’t normally attract.

Holy crap, that movie was amazing. Why can’t we get more DC shit like that? God dammit.

We’ll see how much of this group they keep when they kill like half the heroes here.

It’s superheroes. They’ll get better, mostly. In fact we’ve already been set up for it; that’s what the end of Doctor Strange was for.

Of course, they’ll probably pick a couple of heroes to “really” die or retire to add gravitas to the occasion. Thing is, if comics are any guide, they’ll still get better; it’ll just take more time. Nothing can perma-kill a superhero.

(Though in the MCU there might be something that could do it: an actor asking for too much money.)

You’re speaking like a nerdy fan who knows comics, not the people Scuzz is talking about, or me. Marvel has not killed a hero… yet, for the main audience.

They could conceivably both start and resolve the twist at the end of this movie rather than start it here and resolve it in the second one - though that raises the question of what’s supposed to be at stake in the second movie.

Yeah, and the cast seems to be getting seriously overpopulated. I hope it amounts to more than two hours of fan service one-liners, carefully distributed to everyone under the sun, but I just don’t see much room to breathe, here.