Avengers 3: Infinity War

In comics there’s a tradition for these kind of events. Team A takes on a massive threat - and fails; woefully underpowered/unprepared Team B has to rescue Team A; together the A team and the B team defeat the threat. Team A pats Team B on the back and says, “We had our doubts, but you’re ready for the big leagues now, kid.”

If this pattern applies to the movies (and Tony’s dream in Ultron holds true), Team A is classic MCU Avengers and Infinity War will concentrate on their fate, with the B players in the background. Team B will then come to the fore in the 4th movie: BP, Strange, Ant-man and Wasp, Captain Marvel, Spider-man and some or all of Bucky, Falcon, War Machine, (maybe) Scarlet Witch and (maybe) Vision.*

Guardians get about equal coverage in both since they’re the closest link to Thanos, have a spaceship (handy for plot reasons), and gotta move that Groot merchandise.

* Unclear whether Wanda and Vision count as classic or new Avengers for this purpose. Vision is an especially tough call, since he’ll probably “die” early on in Infinity War (so Thanos can get his Infinity Stone) and hence probably won’t be around to “die” when Cap, etc. “die” later on. But being an android he can easily be put back together - ideally by Ant-man, because Avengers #93 is the best Avengers issue ever - in time for the Team B counter-attack in Avengers 4.

Incidentally, if Avengers 4 doesn’t end up being called Avengers: Avenging, I will be sorely disappointed.

Revengers?

The new trio is Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man.

I though Dr, Strange was actually a better origin story than most. The ending was at least something new for a comic movie and not just a big fight.

I bought reserve seating tix for Friday at 7pm, opening weekend.

The kids didn’t know Black Panther was going to be in it and are now officially stoked.

I snagged tickets yesterday for the local theater, Sat morning, for $6.50 apiece. Can’t wait. Even my daughter is interested, because all the kids in her grade are all “Wakanda forever” after the success of the Black Panther. So I showed her the two trailers depicting Wakanda under attack. Had to explain who Thanos is and the various infinity stones bread crumbs since I think she’s slept through half of the Marvel movies though.

Not seen in the trailers:

I don’t know what role he might play, but that poster also confirms Peter Dinklage in the film.

X-Men crossover confirmed!

That would be kind of incredible.

Dinklage is playing the dwarf who gives Thor his new weapon, Stormbreaker. He’s a ‘dwarf’ but the gag is, he’s actually giant size.

Is that confirmed? Also, TIL that spoiler tags are not respected by Chrome alerts. :(

No, it’s not, but this leaked about six months ago, and every revelation since has confirmed it as a pretty accurate outline of Infinity War’s plot:

Oh, I kind of wish I hadn’t known that then. Ah well, pity.

Sorry. I’ve been known in the past for kind of being a dick about spoilers, but I was trying to be respectful here.

It’s not your fault, the problem is when you replied Chrome helpfully gave me the full sentence. This was compounded by the fact I know exactly what character you are talking about and I believe I know exactly what event he’s going to in the films for, based on what I’ve read in Thor titles. So what can you do? It’s awesome, and I’m certain it’s true, but it’s just one of those things I know going in now. I’m sure it won’t impact my enjoyment of the movie, or anything.

I’m at Lego Land right now and these goddamn Infinity War sets are spoiling the entire movie.

Is it a good movie then? :D

I won’t lie it looks pretty fucking excellent.

Spoilers are a goddamn minefield these days. Used to be, you just had to not watch trailers. Now you also need to avoid the Lego aisle, any TV in the weeks before, accidental mentions on social media…

Have just seen the black panther movie. It was much better than I expected.

Apart from the mangling of a hundred different “African” tropes (which they kinda explained away by there being 5 tribes) it was well told.

I think someone with a better grounding in the history of race in the USA would find it a goldmine of discussion.

It has had the effect of making me want to see infinity war, which bring this post back on topic and to a close.