Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Not sure, but I expect to spoiler tag anything after I see it tomorrow, in this topic unless we do create a release the spoilers topic.

+1 like. I hope others follow suit. I don’t see it until Saturday morning, I might just avoid the topic starting tomorrow night.

Much appreciated, Nesrie!

We should definitely just create a spoiler topic for this film and keep all that out of this one.

Yeah, we won’t be able to see it until a week or so after it comes out, so a separate spoilerific thread is very welcome and thank you.

Separate one here.

I approve. Normally I don’t care about spoilers, but for this movie I would like to have who survives, how they bring them back, etc be a shock.

It’ll be hard, I’m sure.

At this point, I shouldn’t look at any headlines or social media because the movie is so darn big and so many jerks out there spoil on purpose.

Yeah. Like I’m all for not being constrained from having meaningful conversation due to spoiler sensitivity. Some people go overboard, and expect everyone to conform to them. There is reasonable caution on both sides, such as don’t go into threads about a movie where people are discussing the plot, and yell about ‘no spoilers’. Likewise don’t go into a group of people talking about their plans to go see the movie in a few days and start blabbing every big reveal.

Sadly such common courtesy is lacking from many. The trolls have decided that spoiling this movie for fun is the way to go

Watched it this evening. Good, thumbs up. A bit long, but it has a lot of ground to cover. Hits the highs, a lot of pay-off. I’ll leave it at that, might post my general/good/bad/surprising in the spoiler thread.

Yeah, if you like Marvel movies go see it, they’ve stuck the landing probably as well as it could’ve been done.

Endgame is bonerific. Even my wife who doesn’t bother with superheroes affairs thought this is a great movie. Anyone will have a great time with this movie.

Saw it, loved it, see you in the other thread.

Yep. Very satisfying, no fluff despite its length. Could not have been more happy with the whole story arc.

Can we get Kevin Feige in charge of Star Wars, too?

I was surprisingly disappointed, even though I loved all the other Russo Brothers movies. It’s heavy-handed, slow, and yet feels rushed in parts, particularly the action scenes. Some great moments, of course, but it puts too much emphasis on trying to be an ending for more than just this story. There are also a few scenes that are so hammy that they weaken the drama of the related context.

I was going to state that it was largely predictable, but after more consideration I don’t think that’s really true. Like its predecessor, Endgame is an unusual movie that takes risks, both in structure and in terms of fulfilling (and at times exceeding) expectations while frustrating some desires.

Definitely some surprisingly heavy emphasis on some characters, and less than I expected on others - everyone doesn’t get as much consideration as in Infinity War, despite the culled cast. And the characters with larger roles rose to the occasion well. I did like the way so much depended upon individual character actions at various points, but that also led to a plot that feels more contrived than other Russo films and likely wouldn’t withstand much dissection, which I’m sure it’ll get in the spoiler thread.

But still a landmark achievement that seemed impossible to comic fans like myself just a short while ago.

Agree on the first point, not on the 2nd. One big improvement locally is you can know buy beer at concessions - taking a large can of Stella in with me is a much more civilized viewing environment. But I was super-disappointed with the viewing experience, even though the crowd was respectful and enthusiastic:

• post-processed 3D is fucking terrible and I can’t believe it still exists while far superior home OLED 3D does not. Post-processed 3D just makes the screen darker and adds no meaningful “3D effects”. I was rewatching Captain America: First Avenger and Winter Soldier at home, on a 3D capable OLED, and it’s just a much more enjoyable experience. Even though the 3D is post-processed, you at least get recognizable 3D effects (and as a result, I prefer 3D blurays to 4k, even though they’re dying fast and rarely available in North America).

• I saw the movie at “theatre 1” at arguably one of Toronto’s best (certainly most popular) theatres - the screen was far too dim, there was no air conditioning (and, as a result, air circulation), the top 1/5th of the screen was noticeably dimmer than the rest of the screen, and it’s increasingly absurd how much pre-show filler there is after the scheduled start time other than trailers – close to 10 minutes of crappy commercials, followed by 6-8 minutes of trailers.

I’m old enough to remember when the first commercials appeared at movie theatres here, which was only about 20 years ago, and until the past year or so those commercials were still relatively brief compared to the trailers - now that ratio has been substantially reversed, with commercials dominating and trailers, if anything, being fewer in number.

Price of my entertainment choices doesn’t often factor into my purchasing decisions (one of the only luxuries of age), but the price ratio of attending a theatre vs. just waiting for a while has gotten goofy. You can get a 4k blu-ray 3-4 months after theatrical relase for $25, or a normal blu-ray for even less - and the viewing experience is often, if not almost always, actually better and more comfortable at home if you have a high-end home set-up – and even if you don’t like physical media or the space its storage mandates, you can just chuck or resell or donate them at some point after viewing, and still spend 2-3x less (and have the option to have the movie handy forever). Or just wait until it comes on payTV or streaming services a few months after that, for free.

It is bizarre to me that I used to go to the movies 100+ times a year, and now it’s under a handful -last year was an all-time low - this year I’ll go to the Marvel movies to avoid spoilers, Godzilla, and Star Wars, at least – but I now go as a defensive tactic since it’s otherwise very difficult to avoid spoilers on social media, rather than because it’s the best way to experience a film.

Never heard of this site or this reviewer, but he’s somehow written the exact review that I would have written for Avengers Endgame (no spoilers are contained, of course): http://battleshippretension.com/avengers-endgame-make-it-snappy-by-david-bax/

That was satisfying for sure even if a little imperfect. It’s been a great journey.

I wanted to see it last night but there were no seats available. About 10 different showing at each of the 2 nearest cinemas and not pairs of seats available.

Am trying to set it up for Sunday instead.

Oddly enough, I don’t mind paying elevated ticket costs, e.g. £20 for a single 3d ticket.

It’s an event!!

So in the end we watched Infinity War.

Which made me think maybe there won’t be the expected time travelling shenanigans or an un snapping, and instead it’ll be a good old fashioned revenge movie.

I wish!!

I’m enjoying thinking about it.

Found one seat left at the 8 AM showing in the Dolby theater tomorrow w/ the nice recliners. Well, there were other seats, but they were all in the first three rows. This one seat was the only ‘acceptable’ seat left.

Earliest I’ve ever paid to see a movie. But at least it’s not the 4 AM showing on Sunday morning. I can’t even believe that’s a thing.