Avengers: spoilery question about the end

The Avengers should be thought of more as an emergency committee than a standing group, in terms of the way they’re being handled in the movie universe. So, typically they’re off dealing with their own shit, but if the red phone rings at midnight for something extra big, they get together.

Yeah, Avengers = deal with big scary things from space. Otherwise, they each hang out alone and fight their own respective rogues galleries. Alternatively, they could do hero registration Civil War stuff, but if they do, I’d expect it to percolate as a b story in 2 and be a main plot in 3.

I’m the one who intimated that Lokis staff was the mind gem in the other thread. It was kind of an idle thought, but I hadn’t quite caught Thanos’s relationship to the Chitauri. If the staff did ultimately originate from Thanos, then it even more likely.

Which means Adam Warlock and Dr. Strange in Avengers 2! Woohoo!

I would love for Marvel to do a Dr. Strange film using modern CG. The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, an otherwise mediocore Nicholas Cage vehicle, had some fantastic magical duel sequeneces between him and Alfred Molina. I’m confident that Strange and Dormammu could throw down in a convincing alternate dimension.

I read an interview with a Marvel guy where he said the plan is to crank out two movies per year, maybe excepting Avenger movie years. He mentioned this in answer to when a Black Widow movie might happen, they have to find room on the schedule to make that happen. It sounds like late 2014 would be the earliest for that movie, if they do it and stick to their two movie a year thing AND don’t make a movie about another character instead.

Personally I think the individual movies will end with teasers that set up Avengers movies, but I doubt Avengers movies will end with teasers for individual movies, it seems a waste. The big event is the Avengers movie, the teaser should be for something equally big.

I don’t know if I have much interest in seeing a black widow movie. I liked that her past was kept mysterious. I doubt that fleshing out her back story would tell us much or even be a story that we haven’t heard over and over again in a dozen other action movies.

I would, however, like to see her maybe costarring in the next capt. America movie cause I liked their little character bits, especially in the final battle, and the characters are different enough that I think there is room for dramatic tension between them.

Did they ever even call Scarlett Johansson “Black Widow”? I don’t remember hearing that. They seemed sheepish enough about calling Jeremy Renner “Hawkeye”.

-Tom

Yes. At least during the interrogation scene, which I thought was great timing for it. The Russian general refers to her as the infamous Black Widow. Sort of a James Bond-esque spy who is so well-known that she relies on the mark knowing her reputation.

What Avengers got me really excited for, other than a direct sequel, is a new Hulk movie, properly done. Is that in the pipeline?

I sometimes ponder if I should get into comic books. But when I read stuff like this, I suddenly feel pretty damn comfortable where I am: just being an audience member at the movies, getting all this nerdom through an easily digestible, refined, self-aware super hero flick.

I’m not quite sure why this is, but the title “The Infinity Gauntlet” tickles me to no end. I find it simultaneously silly and awesome.

This whole thing is starting to feel like a cross between Russian nesting dolls and diagramming a complex sentence. I loved The Avengers, but the idea of advancing the storyline through the individual exploits of Black Widow and in IronMan3 feels like mapping out prepositional phrases. It looks neat, but I’m off the main line of action.

This is such a tightrope. I hated Black Widow in IM2, and that is totally on those filmmakers. She was a total posing bore. She’s infinitely [gauntlety] better here, and that is, again, totally on the filmmakers. I love the Hulk here, but I can easily see that wearing thin if I have to hang out with him for another whole movie.

They’re just going to run this thing into the ground, aren’t they?

-xtien

“I’m listening.”

The Infinity Gauntlet itself was a prop in Odin’s Vault in the movie Thor.

They were quite clear (and even spelled it out in no uncertain terms at the end of Avengers with dialog by Fury) that the Avengers had gone their separate ways but he expected them to get back together next time they were needed.

I saw an interview with Feige and Ruffalo in which that question was asked, whereupon they enthusiastically nodded at each other (Ruffalo obviously looking for guidance to Feige as to how much to reveal), with Feige saying it’s definitely under consideration. Also Ruffalo’s deal with Marvel is for up to 6 movies IIRC.

I have to admit, I’m kind of looking forward to an Iron Man 3 now, after seeing the Avengers. That was definitely not the case after Iron Man 2. Iron Man/Stark had a great little redemptive arc in this movie that was actually kind of touching because it wasn’t thrown in the audience’s face. It was also a great touch, I thought, that he couldn’t reach his loved one right before the end to say goodbye. And if you are really generous to the filmmakers, I suppose you could extend that redemptive arc all the way back and say it started with Iron Man 2, where he became a total dick when he thought he only had a few months left to live, and extended all the way to the end of the Avengers.

Iron Man 3 is going to be a weird beast in some ways. I feel that despite all the previous Marvel films being interconnected lightly they’ve all essentially taken place in a vacuum. With the Avengers they are now at full super hero awareness level, is that going to carry over into the next Iron Man film where the populace of the film has now bared witness to the Hulk, Thor, and an alien invasion?

I say team up/crossover movies. There is no reason not to have Thor pop in for a 5 minute scene in Iron Man 3, or have a villian like the Red Skull be in Thor 2 as a minor character.

Now that they’ve had a big team up, they can do like in the actual Marvel comics and have guest stars, cameos, and all the other interwoven Marvel universe stuff.

I hope not. It does kinda feel like anything after Avengers might be anti-climactic, but I’m excited for Iron Man 3 and Cap 2. And I’d totally be down for a Hulk movie with Ruffalo, assuming they get a good writer/director. Don’t think they’d give Joss that AND Avengers 2, as much as I’d love to see it. Not sure about Thor 2 yet.

But RE: a Black Widow movie: I could see them going with a movie that revolved around the non-super elements of S.H.I.E.L.D. – Fury, Black Widow, and Hawkeye doing their thing when The Avengers aren’t around. I’m not sure about a whole movie dedicated to Black Widow, though. But then, again…it’s gonna be anti-climactic without the supers in the picture, so I don’t know what I think about that.

I saw his name in the credits but couldn’t place his role! Gonna have to look for that next time I go see it. :-)

That’s actually an interesting point, and calls to mind something I hadn’t given a lot of thought to after the movie. I love how exhausted Black Widow looks in the main battle, and how scared she looked earlier, and this reminds me of a line to her–I can’t remember who said it–about her not being a soldier. “You’re a spy, not a soldier.” Something like that. Might have been Hawkeye. But until that moment I hadn’t really considered that she isn’t like them. I just lumped her in with them.

Are we supposed to make a distinction between her and Hawkeye and The Avengers? I just assumed they were all The Avengers.

Forgive my ignorance.

Oh, one more thing: Loki made me crack up when he was doing that whole “Kneel before me!” routine in Stuttgart (or wherever). All I could think about was General Zod.

-xtien

“Everything special about you came out of a bottle.”

About the Hulk Marvel should get a clue- he works best in other movies not his own. He could be the R2 and C3PO of these movies. At this point, who on Earth is going to attack him? Why would they after seeing what happened to his enemies in this movie? You can’t do any kind of plot where the army of the US or another country is after him, that’d be idiotic. So there’s not much to make a Hulk movie by itself work.

The other guys can still do their own movies because they are all vulnerable in some way. Thor can always be dealing with enemies from other worlds besides Earth, Ironman can’t do everything by himself as we saw, and Captain America still needs to get laid, so he’s easy to distract.

Same here–now that I know who did the voice, I’m going to have to see if I can pick out anything that sounds like the Denisof I know from other roles.