Avernum: Escape from the Pit

Fuck yes! Was wondering where this was at.

Avernum 1 was what got me into the series, so this should be a great little nostalgia trip. And for $8 this is a steal. :)

Oh heck yeah. This and Grimrock on the same day? How will I ever choose which to start first?

Flip a coin. :)

Same dilemma here!

At the moment, Avernum is the 9th listed top seller on Steam. I never would have thought I’d ever see a Spiderweb game doing that. I makes me all tingly inside.

These are the days.

I thought Avadon did very well on the iPad which is why the prices of all the games have gone down?

Jeff has discovered the wonders of digital distribution channels like AppStore and Steam.

I picked this up via Steam today as well. I’m still hooked on Skyrim, but I will get to it eventually.

They really are, aren’t they? Adding the Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 kickstarters, and the Age of Decadence demo, I think something really special is happening right now.

I know, it’s a beautiful dilemma to have though, great old school gaming with great new games. Love it, both downloaded and ready.

Is it me or does this game take longer than normal to start up from steam? For some reason steam keeps redownloading something every time I try and run the game and I have no idea why. It’s really starting to annoy me since I play this game in short spurts.

I chose Avernum because of cloud save support. I can play at home and play when out on my netbook. Woo!

Can’t really speak to how the rest of the game will hold up, but the intro area includes a mini dungeon and there’s a new area/quest under Silvar (the first town you are directed to). I wonder if there will be lots of modest new content interspersed throughout the world like this; it certainly feels fresh so far.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with steamcloud support as well! Perfect for my work travel.

The game doesn’t work perfectly in 1024x600 – my Eee’s resolution – and some settings are saved in the cloud that probably shouldn’t be, like the position of the map and party windows.

Still, there’s something nearly compulsive about the gameplay here.

I didn’t mean to kill the thread, honest!

Now that my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles has finally come in I’m not playing Avernum as much. Whenever I have some free time at a friend’s place, though, I pull out the netbook and play a little. The UI is not really all that great for netbook use – character window especially is too large, the windows don’t remember where you dropped them well and on the large dialog boxes you can’t click on the checkmark to close them because the mouse cursor won’t go low enough – but that’s all minor stuff and the game is pretty fun. I’m having to actually pay attention to battles now, use spells and so on.

I really want to play this one all the way through. It may take me a while, but I’m going to do it.

I’m around level 12 so far and still very much enjoying it. One thing I’ve noticed is that this version is MUCH harder than the original because you can’t exploit certain tricks like casting every blessing imaginable on your party BEFORE going into battle.

Has anyone done the Assassin-bat cave mission? I did a previous mission in that bat cave to clear out the bats. Later I got the kill the assassin hiding in the cave. I go back and there is nobody to be found.

You were told where to look for the Assassin’s hideout.

Opening the Path

[spoiler]
What’s-her-face said "he has hidden himself behind a secret passage near some crystal formations. These are located in the NW part of the bat lair. You have to walk all the way to the “end” of the last row, and the way will open.

Not sure what level you are, but you may not be ready for it.[/spoiler]

Just got this for Pc, most impressed, wouldn’t mind it for the ipad either.

I really like this on the iPad, though the one thing I’d like is a zoom function as I find it very hard to see stuff on the ground. I’m always afraid I’m missing some loot or something.

I just got into a pickle:

spoiler

While exploring an area near the Almaria/Castle area west of Dark Lake, I suddenly attracted the ire of a group of Searing Crawlers, and I was run off when they got all Terminator on me. They started following me everywhere and made land exploration impossible in that region, and I had no choice but to run back to the boat. Guess I’ll have to pursue quests elsewhere for a while? It’s sorta haunting me. Are those scorpions going to be waiting for me when I return a few levels later? (Lvl 5 warrior, lvl 5 rogue, lvl 5 priest, lvl 5 mage).