Avi to DVD

I read a thread below but I’m not clear on the answer I need:

I’ve got some Lost episodes in AVI format. Been using Studio 9 to burn them to DVDs for watching on TV, no menus, etc. just burn and play. For some reason one episode is giving Studio 9 fits (it shows up as only 32 minutes long instead of 42, and gives a burn error when trying to burn the DVD after rendering it.) It plays fine for the full 42 minutes in, e.g., WMP.

I want a program that I can simply burn my AVI file to DVD. Quickly. As in buy the program online or at Best Buy on the way home from work and watch the show tonight. Any suggestions?

I like Nero’s stuff. If I remember correctly they give you the whole program free for 30 days so you could try it on the episode tonight and see how it goes. The one you want is Nerovision Express (I think that’s what it’s called).

Based on a recommendation from here I bought WinAVI and it’s great - I was having audio sync problems with some AVI’s using Nero, and haven’t had an issue with WinAVI at all.

I don’t like how you can’t (seem to?) control the amount of compression for any given AVI-DVD conversion, but I can work around it (for example, I was able to get 4 episodes of Firefly onto a single disc, but 7 episodes of Desperate Houswives).

www.winavi.com (there’s a watermarked demo).

OK, I got winavi, and I used it’s option to convert the AVI file to DVD. That gave me a directory with an AUDIO TS folder with nothing in it, and a VIDEO TS with a couple of VOB files and some IFO and BUF files. So I then went to the burn DVD option, and it only allows me to pick a folder. So I picked the folder (DVD 0) under which the AUDIO TS and VIDEO TS folders were nested, hit burn, and it just sat there with time left as 0:00 and burning progress as 0%. So I tried the Video TS folder with the same results. I don’t have a clue what else to do to get it to burn the DVD.

Frustration.

As far as I can recall, you don’t need anything in the audio folder. What I do is create the file like you did, open up Nero or some other application, choose the Video DVD option, and then drag over the video folder into the DVD. Burn it, and it works.

K

This thread was a huge help to me. Backov and John Many Jars suggested this OEM suite of Nero which I ordered for eight bucks.

It continues to be a terrific and easy solution for me.

-Amanpour

Sorry Jeff, should have explained further. I use WinAVI to do the conversion to .vob (DVD ready), then use Nero to burn the files.

You need to add the .vob files to the video_ts directory of the DVD - you can also use Nero Vision Express to create menus and the like.

Well, I was really baffled. This all started because I thought Pinnacle Studio 9 was having a problem with some files (and it was.) But when WinAvi didn’t burn like it should, I tried to burn the files to DVD using Studio 9 (and the created VOB files and that didn’t work. Then I created an MPEG2 file from the AVI file, and that wouldn’t burn. So I went out and purchased the full Nero6 suite, and it worked great, but when it got to the burning point the disc tray popped out and Nero said it had a burning error.

Hmm. Trained scientist that I am, 4 or 5 program being unable to burn a DVD in my DVD burner (and I tried various DVD +Rs) along with recent problems with DVDs that were burned, seems like a trend! ;)

So I’m guessing that all along I’ve been fighting a DVD writer problem. Dell has a new one on the way, so we’ll see.

Thanks for the help.

FWIW, it was indeed a bad DVD writer - new one works great.

I am having some serious audio synch problems, though. Using Nero or WinAvi to modify the AVI file to a DVD (VOB) file, then using Nero to burn to the DVD, my audio synch is a good 1 second out of synch (one burn it was behind, the next file it was a second of lag.) Is this a common Nero problem? Any tricks to avoid it?

Skip the conversion; it’s not necessary. Just add the AVI file to your project in Nerovision and Nero will convert it on the fly.

Skip the conversion; it’s not necessary. Just add the AVI file to your project in Nerovision and Nero will convert it on the fly.[/quote]

Tried that and got a full 3 second lag - it was funny but irritating hearing someone say something, then 3 seconds later seeing their mouths move.

I’m going to try doing the conversion in WinAVI and then burn in Studio 9.

BTW - why is it that Nero will burn a DVD in about 30 minutes or so, while Studio 9 will take a couple of hours (or more) to burn the same 50 minute DVD? Most of that time in Studio 9 is “rendering” and it appears to do that no matter what format it is burning from.

Tried that and got a full 3 second lag - it was funny but irritating hearing someone say something, then 3 seconds later seeing their mouths move.[/quote]

Bummer. I used to get that kind of lag with other programs, and switching to Nerovision put an end to it! I guess the suite works differently on different systems… :(

I bough WinAvi as well and have Nero 6, but am having difficulty understanding the concept when working with a group of 13 356MB AVI files which converted to 14.6 GB of DVD compilation data. Obviously this will need to split into multiple discs, but WinAvi doesn’t say much about spanning (or I’m just too dense to understand what they do say).

I completed a batch conversion of all thirteen AVI’s, and WinAVI dropped them into nine folders titled dvd_0, dvd_1 etc., three of which are empty folders (dvd_1, dvd_3 & dvd_7). The VOB files in the video folders are uniquely named for the most part I think, but in each folder where there are files there is a set of commonly named VTS_01_1.VOB and VTS_01_1.VOB.nav files.

I’m supposed to read between the lines and deduce where the spanning actually ends and begins, but my brain is shutting down on this one. Probably each “dvd” folder needs to be an individual DVD disk compilation, but what about the empty ones? And when I finally drag the stuff into Nero, do I drag the video folder or the files contained within it? Do I ignore the VOB.nav files?

Transcoding media is time-wasting mojo bullshit that hardly ever works properly.

The solution is not to transcode, but to replace your player with something that understands avi files, DivX, and so on. K-Mart sells a panasonic DVD player that just loves DivX for about $50.

Sold. Don’t have a KMart close, but I’ll be hunting in Best Buy, Target, CC, etc.

I’m sold as well, actually. But this solution doesn’t cover how to share stuff with friends and family who aren’t really interested in replacing their perfectly functional DVD players. Some conversion ability seems to be necessary.

I’m sold as well, actually. But this solution doesn’t cover how to share stuff with friends and family who aren’t really interested in replacing their perfectly functional DVD players. Some conversion ability seems to be necessary.[/quote]

Most of the stuff I share with family and friends is home-made video that I’ve taken with my DV camcorder, and that stuff is no problem to edit, etc. in Studio 9. What I tend to have problems with are things like converting AVI files of TV shows - well, now I wouldn’t actually get them from Bittorrent or anything since that wouldn’t be right - that I just um happen to have.

Best Buy offers an inexpensive Philips DVP642 which gets a 7.4 rating at CNET (Very Good), but CNET does say “still incompatible with some DivX files”. That may be it for the sub-$100 range there, though. Is the Panasonic the only good one in that range? Guess I may as well check out Fry’s too.

I just wrapped up a quintessential time-wasting evening, the sole purpose of which was apparently to illustrate exactly how right Rob B. was a couple of posts up.

No matter what I do, WinAVI either creates multiple folders with identical VOB file names in each, or it oversizes the single-folder compilations making it impossible to burn to a 4.7GB disk.

Even when I scale back efforts and limit it in “Constant video size” mode to 2 350MB MPEG3 DivX-encoded AVIs destined for a single 4.7GB disk, and I get 1.99 GB worth of DVD files, Nero 6 ultimately complains that the DVD-Video files compliance test fails due to a pair of missing files. I guess it could be the specific files I’m trying to convert, but I’ve tried a few different pairs.

WinAVI’s documentation and online FAQ are vague and fragmented (to say the least), have dead links and their online bug report form is broken. The worst of it is, this is one of those rare experiences where I am so beaten by the product that I’m simply happy to delete it from my hard drive so I don’t have to think about it again.

I happen to own both Nero 6 and Nero 6.0 OEM Express which, tragically, both lack the conversion utilities.

Anyway, this and the other thread still look to be tremendously helpful, so many thanks are certainly owed I’m sure. Now off to Best Buy (well, tomorrow) to try out an entirely different rabbit hole. :)

Well, the software I bought to transcode was $500 (using it for DVD to AVI though, not the other way around… although it’ll do anything) and it works flawlessly. Expect less from consumer solutions.

However, I will also agree… Bought some cheapo chinese DVD player for some friends at Future Shop for 69$ CDN… It plays DivX flawlessly. Not sure if it does any other open formats like xvid or whatever though.