Aw...Edge mag is evil

I agree, it’s not the best outcome. But I’m not sure if it would have been possible to get 50% of the IGDA membership to participate in a vote, and I think things would have been much worse if he tried to hang on until the bitter end, and the special meeting failed.

I think he really does believe he hasn’t done anything wrong, and is probably sincere when he says he’s doing this in an attempt to protect the IGDA. I can imagine someone who really was the victim of an immense smear campaign reacting the same way.

Also, I have no idea about the processes here, but can they even do that? It’d be weird (poor precedent) to remove / blackball a person from what is ostensibly a professional organization. Also, I don’t think they could prevent him from re-joining if they wanted to. I was under the impression that to be a member of the IGDA all you had to do was be a game developer…and that’s it. I doubt there’s a process to prevent people from joining.

Removing a member from the organization is specifically included in the ByLaws.

It would take a 75% vote to remove (not a 75% quorum, 75% of the total membership voting yes) to remove a member.

And to be a member of the IGDA, all you have to do is pay.

And the next chapter:

Electronic Arts has petitioned the US Patent & Trademark Office to cancel a range of registrations associated with Edge Games, Inc.

In the petition, filed earlier this month, EA’s lawyers allege that Edge Games has been pumping oxygen into various filings for marks including “The Edge” by claiming they were associated with active commerce when they weren’t.

Heh, I rarely root for EA, but that’s the kind of legal muscle Langdell probably can’t fight…

My prediction is he’ll try to wheedle some kind of out-of-court-settlement from EA (by immediately caving and letting go of the marks they want) and will then use that as further proof of his unassailable legitimacy. When you have totally divorced yourself from viewing your actions through the eyes of others it is easy to see something like this as just another big win for oneself.

I agree this might be what he will try but the weight of that EA counter argument all expressed in expensive legalese has got to be a gift for anyone else who wants to beat Langdell in court. The more publicity something like this gets the harder it will be for Langdell to try the kind of stunt he pulled on mobigame on anyone else.

EDGE IS BACK ON ITUNES, GO GO GO!

The last time it was up it got pulled again pretty quickly. I don’t know the status of the whole dispute these days, so I don’t know if it’s likely to come down again, but don’t risk it!

And the free lite version:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307258748&mt=8

Man, I don’t even have an iPhone or Touch and I’m tempted to grab it.

That douchebag is at it again, but a group of indie devs is fighting back.

Killer Edge Racing from PuzzleKings is the latest game to be targeted by IP hunter Timothy Langdell, who has complained to Apple that the casual title is infringing his Edge trade mark.
Additionally, it appears that Langdell has now applied to register a trade mark for “Killer Edge Racing” in a bid to prevent PuzzleKings from using the name, despite the fact that the game has been around for five years.

Yea, I dunno. Is this the right thread for this?

http://chaosedge.wordpress.com/ has the update as well as well as a link to the ruling.

awesome, criminal penalties, one can only hope. finally, a judge sees the fraud.

The judge’s brief is surprisingly entertaining.

Good judgment - but someone should really pick this up and run him in for fraud.

A reasonable person would really examine the direction they have been taking their life in when they get called a troll and a suspected fraud by a judge in a court order.

Do you think EA’s legal department is finished with him? The only thing that’s happened so far is that the preliminary injunction has been denied. Preliminary injunction. There’s still, presumably, a case to follow.

Not much of one, but still…

I think it’s time for Langdell to apply his trademark to his wrists.

Hopefully he goes to the slammer.

That is excellent.

It certainly is. Someone had fun writing that.